Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just won a Biltmore!

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Nice hat! I have a Black Royal Biltmore that is my "everyday" hat. It has seen its share of snow and rain and still looks great. Biltmore is my favorite contemporary mass-production hatmaker. I think you'll like it! ;)

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Rebash or Keep as is?

What do you guys think? I believe it's a center dent, and I'm much more partial to C-crowns/teardrops. I'm tempted to rebash it into a teardrop, swap out the band for a thin ribbon and make it into an OR clone..

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Center dent looks nice. I have this hat in black. Its my dress hat. Only thing I found was it does not take rain very will. The brim on mine curled up something fierce after a downpour. So I would recommend giving it a shot of Scotch Guard on a regular basis or some other kind of weather protectant. Enjoy your new hat.
Johnny

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Howdy,

Excellent! Score!

While I nearly never waterproof my hats, Johnnycanuck's experience with this particular model of hat makes me second his suggestion.

But -- since he's got a black one & yours is more of a tan/brown, there's no guarantee that yours will react to the spray-on waterproofer in quite the same way his did. So find a relatively hidden patch of felt to test what happens when you spray it.

For what it's worth, there are other brands of spray-on waterproofing besides Scotchgard. I seem to recall using Thompson's WaterSeal Leather & Fabric Protector the last time, mostly because I use it a lot on camping gear. So it happened to be at hand.

On the other hand, a hat shop like Batsakes might well sell other brands, specially formulated to protect good felt.

All this means is that you've got options, depending on whether you want to go with what's available, or with a product that claims to be just for hats.

And if someone tries to sell you a spray that's been made since the Renaissance by Belgian monks, in tiny batches the size of the unicorn horn they use as a vat, with special formulations for beaver felt, rabbit felt, and buffalo felt, each aerosol can personally blessed by the Archbishop of Narnia, then you should smile, nod, and slowly back out the door. lol

Cheers,
Mark

Edward

Bartender
Good score. My first fur felt hat was (still is!) a black biltmore with a tear drop crown. Lovely hat, very pleased with it.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Jonesing

Thanks for the feedback everyone (especially Mark and Johnnycanuck)! I can't wait for my lid to arrive. I'm jonesing like a madman!

I figure when it arrives I'll check it over to see if it needs anything more than a brushing. I'm too new at this to think I could actually clean it myself. If it's too bad, I'll go to Batsakes and have them fix it up for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112