Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I lost a friend today

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
This feels pretty dumb, but I am so down it's hard to focus. I lost a friend today. He was sick when I found him a year ago, I nursed him back to health, we went on my rides together, got to know each other through crisis and conflict, and in the end I really liked the guy, he became my friend.

His name was Bronze and was my Paint Quarterhorse. Last night, like every other night, I walked him from the pasture into the barn for his "overnight" feeding and rest and it seemed like so many other nights, uneventful. When going in to feed him today, he was down, writhing in pain, worn open wounds into his face, and bleeding. Overnight his intestines twisted and kinked, creating toxins that left him beyond hope by the time I got him to the vet. I had to let him go with some peace and whatever dignity death affords rather than let the ravages take him. As I write this post I am waiting for him to be delivered back home so that I can bury him overlooking the pasture he loved and was at home in.

I never imagined that I could become so attatched to a horse. The ranch won't be the same without him

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh Art, I am so sorry for your loss. Nothing can assuage the pain of losing so fine a companion, but I hope you will take some comfort in the good times you spent together as surely as I know he took comfort in knowing that you were there at the end to make the right decisions for him.

I wish you all the best in this time. Know that you have friends here.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I'm very sorry to hear about Bronze. I've heard about horses with that same problem, unfortunately happens more than we know.
He was very lucky to have you has his friend Art.
Nikki

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm so sorry to hear this, Art. I'm glad you'll be able to get some closure by burying your friend in a place they loved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko