I love Public Radio

Discussion in 'Radio' started by Scuffy, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Scuffy

Scuffy One of the Regulars

Not quite sure where this fits but I figure this is just as good a place as any. I was listening to Youngstown State U's station last night and caught the end of a show called Folk Alley and I was qutie depressed to find that missed a great show. This particular evening's guests were none other than the Ditty Bops. For anyone who has not seen or heard of them you are missing out!!!! :D I can't describe them well enough to do them justice, just enought to say that they were probably the best concert I've ever been to short of Nickle Creek (whom they opened for). Here's a link to a few clips of the show: http://www.folkalley.com/music/extras/ditty_bops/

Also while I'm rambling on about public radio I just have to say how much I loooooove a Prarie Home Companion. It's another addiction that's hard to feed- especially when I have to wait a week between shows. Is there anywhere on the net that has past shows saved for later listening? Any of the college stations? I'm not aware of any but then again I haven't looked too hard! lol

Scuffy

2. Canadave

Canadave One Too Many

I love satellite radio for the same reason

I have XM satellite radio, and I listen to XMPR all the time. (The "PR" stands for public radio.)

They replay shows from Public Radio International and broadcast many original shows as well. I haven't heard PHC, but Garrison Keillor does a daily 5 minute feature called "Writer's Almanac".

David

3. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

I love it too, I just hate the fundraising they're doing now.

4. Canadave

Canadave One Too Many

I haven't heard any. [huh]

David

5. Girl Friday

Girl Friday Practically Family

This American Life, is my favorite. (free pod casts available on itunes!)

We missed the Ditty Bops, they were supposed to be at last years Austin City Limits Music Festival! I'll have to be on the look out so we can finally see them.

6. Lauren

Lauren Distinguished Service Award

Oh! I love the Ditty Bops! They're so much fun. And Nickle Creek. Two great bands!

7. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Maybe it's just on my NPR stations.

8. jazzbass

jazzbass Familiar Face

They have several YEARS of programs archived at the site---plays on real player and I think something else.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/

jazzbass