I love the Fed IV!!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Johnny., Mar 27, 2009.

1. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

Thanks so much for the information. I think I’m going to order a Tawny Fawn and Moonstone.

I’m not in a rush so standard shipping should work great for me. Thanks for the reply.

Steven

2. Trouserhat

Trouserhat New in Town

Waiting on my second fed iv currently (deluxe this time wahey) and blimey I don't know why the customs fees over here in the UK are so staggeringly high. £40 almost. Ouch! Oh well, should be here tomorrow...

1967Cougar390 likes this.
  3. 1967Cougar390

I’m glad I didn’t have an issue with fees. What color did you order? I’m pleased with the Imperial grade and I’m sure the Deluxe is nicer so enjoy your new hat.

Steven

4. Trouserhat

Trouserhat New in Town

I've ordered in dark brown and yeah I'm interested in seeing what the difference is like really. Sadly despite parcelforce saying they would deliver today, they haven't, so hopefully tomorrow is the day. Grr!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. Trouserhat

Trouserhat New in Town

Loving this! It was the slightest bit too big at first but i've put in a tiny bit of foam and it's perfect now. I've been wearing it non stop to break it in.

Attached Files:

6. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

As you wear it, you may need to take the foam out, as Fed IV sweatbands tend to shrink a bit.

7. GLewis

GLewis New in Town

Well, I finally did it! I ordered a Fed IV in moonstone. They were out of the plain moonstone, so I ordered the deluxe. You guys are a bad influence!

8. 1967Cougar390

I’m sure you will Be happy when you receive your Fed IV. I am very pleased with both of mine. Moonstone is a great color.

Steven

Zombie_61 and GLewis like this.
  9. Art Hat1

Art Hat1 New in Town

Hi everyone, first time poster, long time lurker...sounds creepy, anyway, so I have a brown Fed iv deluxe and I love it! It’s shaped “Last Crusade” style partially because of my love of Indiana Jones and partially because, Indy or not, it’s a great casual hat bash. I’d like to save up for a moonstone deluxe as was curious as to thoughts about how the Fed iv works for a “Maltese Falcon” Bogart style? I’m sure the brim would be fine but would the style work with the wide dimensionally cut brim?

Attached Files:

10. 1967Cougar390

I have a Moonstone Fed IV. I creased it in a diamond. I think the Fed IV can pass as a “Bogart” style fedora, it’s all about perspective. The average person only sees the hat, not Bogart or Indy dimensions or creases. Moonstone is a great color and I’m sure you will like it. I hope this helps, good luck.
    Steven

GLewis and Zombie_61 like this.
  11. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

Emphasis added - that's basically it. Though these days people are more likely to equate it with Indiana Jones, unless another "fedora" move has come in recently. I always tell people I'm channeling my inner George Raft.

I've got a brand new charcole gray Fed IV still in the box under the Christmas tree (yes it's still up) waiting to be broken in. Actually I'm debating whether or not to send it out to have the brim bound. Of course nobody knows who Raft is so it ends the conversation for the most part. (If not, I tell them he's Indy's cousin)

12. I have to agree with Hercule. You could spend the time and money to have an exact duplicate made of the hat Bogart wore in The Maltese Falcon, wear the exact same trench coat and suit, and most people will think you're dressed as Inspector Gadget. So if you (or anyone else reading this) like the hat Bogart wore in Falcon enough to get one for yourself, go right ahead. But don't be surprised if no one comments on it, because to them it's just a hat.

13. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I turned my brown Fed IV today.

Not because I am fan of the turn, in particular, but because a hole is beginning to form at the top of the front crease.

Does the hat look different? Most likely not to the casual observer, but there is a now a very slight unevenness in the way it sits on my head, which I think is kind of cool.

But the most important thing is that the almost-hole is now at a non-stressed part of the felt and is pretty much invisible. Which is a good thing.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  14. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

Mine developed a hole at the top of the pinch too, hence my new hat for Christmas. The new hat is so nice and pristine I'm almost afraid to wear it. I'm in no rush, I don't look like a hobo yet.

15. I rather like the looks of a good "beater" hat, and in many cases that seems to start with that hole at the pinch. So I'm one of those odd creatures who is looking forward to discovering that on one of my hats. Trouble is, I know that when it happens I'm also going to be somewhat saddened because one of my hats will have a hole in it. :(

16. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I like a nice beater, too, but in my case it usually ends with the hole in the pinch.

A little dirty and a little misshapen is fine and dandy for me. :)

1967Cougar390, GLewis and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. Timeras1

Timeras1 New in Town

That's why I bought my first Fed IV recently... I have an Indy conversion (what I'm wearing in my avatar) that has a hole forming at the top of the crease. But I love that hat, and will be attempting to repair it via scraping felt from the inside and gluing in the hole. This is an old Dobbs from the 70's, so I'm terrified I'll mess it up, I don't know if I could risk moving the crease without causing more damage.:(

johnnycanuck likes this.
  18. Erehwon

Erehwon One of the Regulars

I wanted to find a way to get rid of the little taper of the hat. So I developed a complex workflow for the Fed IV.
    [​IMG]
    Slapping on the hat. Somehow, if you crease it after that, the taper is even more less. The hat fits better (stiffer is gone). And it looks even better.
    [​IMG]

19. Erehwon

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Workflow:
    1. Place hat on the table
    2. Flatten you hand
    3. Slap on it with energy and passion
    4. Shape it

20. Erehwon

If anyone is interested: I own a Federation IV in:
    -Brown
    -Moonstone
    -Tawny Fawn
    -Heritage Fawn
    -Carbon Grey

So, you see, I am a huge fan of these hats. Some of them are 10-12 years old now and needed a Reblock. They were reblocked and modified by Advintage Fedora in Germany.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]