Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I was trying to get a pretty big sweat stain out with baby powder. I accidentally used a very slightly damp cloth, and now the baby powder is caked in. Tried soap and water, tried sandpaper. Nothing works. Is there anything I can do? Any dyes, try rubbing alcohol, anything at all!? I’ve looked everywhere, and nothing has given me an answer. Please help!!

Here is what the fedora looks like now
:(
View attachment 571005

Maybe a pressure washer? Honestly, I’d let it completely dry and try to brush as much out as possible. After that, I would strip it to just the felt and use a stiff plastic bristle brush while continuously rinsing it with copious amounts of water.

I was trying to get a pretty big sweat stain out with baby powder. I accidentally used a very slightly damp cloth, and now the baby powder is caked in. Tried soap and water, tried sandpaper. Nothing works. Is there anything I can do? Any dyes, try rubbing alcohol, anything at all!? I’ve looked everywhere, and nothing has given me an answer. Please help!!

Here is what the fedora looks like now
:(
View attachment 571005
The principle in getting out any stain is that you must flush it. If you just spritz it or wet it a bit all you accomplish is ending up chasing the stain across the hat or ribbon. The stain needs to be flushed away that entails a lot of liquid. You now have solids to deal with.....wetted and now dry talc powder. I would try soaking it in warm water, first to dissolve the talc and then another bath to flush it away. If the hat was dirty to start with you now risk just chasing the dirt to another area of the hat. The best solution would be to tear the hat down and as Bob suggests give it a full naptha bath. Then the hat will come out clean and refreshed.....but then you need to stitch the components back into place.

sasto1967

New in Town
Anyone heard of a Stetson Escondido 4X? I cannot find one thing on the internet for this hat.

Last edited:

Hammett

New in Town
Hello! I’m new to Fedora Lounge, so thanks for accepting me, glad to be here! Been wearing hats for some years. My wife (exceptional person that she is- eat your heart out!) gave me my first Stetson for Christmas, a Temple Fedora. Rookie question: should I remove the interior paper label (and keep it, of course) or leave it in place? Thanks!
IMG_4361.jpeg
IMG_4363.jpeg

Last edited:

RossRYoung

Practically Family
I’d leave it, it’s the only sizing indicator other than the black square tag at the sweat band seam. Might help increase resale value too if you ever decide to sell it. Welcome to TFL!

Hammett

New in Town
I’d leave it, it’s the only sizing indicator other than the black square tag at the sweat band seam. Might help increase resale value too if you ever decide to sell it. Welcome to TFL!
Thanks for the reply, and the welcome. Yup- suspected as much.

Colonel seriously.

New in Town
Looking for some info on a recent hat purchase. It is a Resistol fedora, in a color they call gunmetal, a very, very dark brown, almost black. The brim is 1 7/8, whelted edge and what’s left of the sales tag says Jet 707 and gives the price at $20.00. The liner is yellowish satin, but that could be age, and/or hair product. It is a tad odiferous. The feel of the felt is probably the softest felt I have ever touched, far exceeding my Stetson Pinnacle. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks gents.
IMG_6281.jpeg
IMG_6282.jpeg

Colonel seriously.

New in Town
That model is most likely from 1958 (when the Boeing 707 went into regular service) until 1967 (when Byer-Rolnick no longer had the Resistol brand). You might be able to search for old advertising that could narrow that range a bit. Does the sweatband say “Kitten Finish” on it? Those certainly have a nice hand.
Unfortunately the hat was very well loved and there isn’t any stamping left on the sweatband at all. I’ve been lurking about in the forums and read quite a bit about the kitten finish and have concluded that must be the case. Certainly feels like one. The logo on the satin liner has the coat of arms logo but says nothing about a kitten finish or otherwise. But 20 bucks back in the late 50s was around 275 bucks today, so the hat was not cheap by any means. Thank for the assist partner, I’ll put on the old PI hat and see what I can did up.

Looking for some info on a recent hat purchase. It is a Resistol fedora, in a color they call gunmetal, a very, very dark brown, almost black. The brim is 1 7/8, whelted edge and what’s left of the sales tag says Jet 707 and gives the price at $20.00. The liner is yellowish satin, but that could be age, and/or hair product. It is a tad odiferous. The feel of the felt is probably the softest felt I have ever touched, far exceeding my Stetson Pinnacle. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks gents.

I think it’s most likely a 1960s hat. Resistol made some great fedoras; although, most of what we find on the vintage market are stingy brims like yours.

TheThinMan511

New in Town
Thanks guys. I need to replace a hat band -- I've taught myself to make them in the original style -- but likely won't find the exact color, so I will use a complementary one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner