1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

I now have hair gel and ScotchGuard®. What do I do next?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Naphtali, Jun 14, 2018 at 5:12 PM.

1. Naphtali

Naphtali Practically Family

An earlier thread I started pertaining to how to stiffen and weatherproof my woods walking hat was answered, then closed. I now have hair gel and ScotchGuard® that were recommended for stiffening and weatherproofing my hat. What do I do next?

- Which do I apply first, hair gel stiffener or ScotchGuard?

- Is whichever that I apply first applied to exterior of rabbit fur felt, interior, or both exterior and interior?

- How do I apply the second item?

- Do I need to apply stiffener and/or water repellant more than one "coat" on this first usage? If I do, which and how if there is a change from the previous instructions?

- I bought an inexpensive hair "blow" dryer for another project. Is there a reason or advantage for me to use this minor league "heat gun" for either stiffening or weatherproofing steps?

If stiffener or weatherproofing steps need be reapplied - as a routine maintenance scheduled step - what sort of scheduling do you recommend?

2. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Gel? I don't think you want to put hair gel on your hat. Hair spray is used by some as a substitute for stiffener.

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat One Too Many

Hair gel?? Scary!!
    I’ve used regular old hairspray (Aquanet) many times and works like a charm. Others have not showed great enthusiasm at the idea but...works like a charm. Imho
    Bowen
    Ps: works lots better than spray starch.
    Bowen

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  4. jlee562

jlee562 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I dunno, I just think of you want to stiffen your hat, buy a hat stiffener. It's not like Kahl and Scout stiffener is hard to track down.

I can't imagine there's any big mystery about scotchguard, spray it on. Others have noted in past threads that it changes the feel of the felt slightly.

5. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Do not use hair gel, it will damage the felt, and with the first sign of rain will go runny.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

+1

deadlyhandsome likes this.