Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I took my Mother to the Doctor's this morning...

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
No particular problems, just edema in the lower extremities, not unusual for a lass of 88 summers, but after we checked in, one of the medical assistants led us to the examining room, and whilst we were settling in, she noticed my overshoes (ordinary Tingley "rubbers"). She said "What a great idea, plastic covers to keep your shoes clean! Where can you buy them? Can I show them to my friend?" I assented, and in a moment there were three ladies of between thirty and thirty-five years of age examining my shod feet. It developed that not one of them had ever seen or heard of "Gumshoes", "Overshoes" or "Rubbers" (at least the sort that cover the pedal extremities).

Does no one wear these useful items anymore?

Note that this took place in Cleveland, Ohio, a wet, cold Midwestern city, not out in the seemingly perpetual sunshine of Nevada or Arizona.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can believe that, at times the same holds true about other "anti nasty weather" items such as umbrellas. I have one pair I just recently purchased after wearing nice shoes in winter one too many years. My memory took me back to when my Father wore them on his shoes. I had not seen them in any stores and asked my Cobbler if he had any. He said yes, but buy them on eBay for less than what he is stuck selling them for. Nice person to advise me on a better deal. I think my Wife did the purchase on eBay for around $20.00 and they work just great as always. In fact the offer a better footing while wearing in snow or bad weather as they have a slight pattern for grip on the bottom, most of my shoes are "smooth" leather soles. The "over shoes" give me grip, are easy to get on and off, and save my shoes from salt and rain and snow. These are not the high over shoes, they are sort of low cut and do not cover all the top of the shoe, just the sides down. I love them. So how is your Mom? Geez my Mother in Law is 90. The mind still works but not at full speed.....getting blind as a brick wall, and has issues recalling daily events or things she does or participates in.

Not long ago at a Denny's that we went to for a meal, she asked the waitress several times for a menu. She already had a menu and had ordered. So she tells the waitress, "If I have already ordered, what is it I am going to have"? Waitress told her what the meal was....Mother in law says, "who in their right mind would eat that"? And, "please bring me a menu so I can order some real food and not what that other meal would be". Then the killing part of this...(said in love and humor) I ask my Mother in Law "How many fingers am I holding up"? She waits and looks and looks and then says, "four: lol! My hands were under the table.....90 and still a ball of fun.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Funny you should mention Overshoes..i was just thinking about these not 2 days ago, and wondering if you can still get them! where do you find them now? I have never seen them around here, so I'm certain i would have to order them online...

You'd think those things would be a common sight here on the shores of perpetually damp Puget Sound. But they ain't.

I have many less than fond recollections of those black rubber overboots (yes, we called them "rubbers"), the kind with the adjustable buckles, which were ubiquitous in the Upper Midwest of my early years. The problem I had was that it seemed I was always getting the pair that wasn't quite big enough to go over my shoes without a real struggle. Such was life as the third-born (but largest, after age 5 or so) child in a working-class family of that time and place. Memories of those Wisconsin winters and their attendant discomforts are all the explanation I need for California being the most populous of these United States.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We all wore the clip-type overshoes as kids here -- when we weren't wearing rubber pacs with bread wrappers inside them to keep our feet dry. And I wear Tingleys today, especially in winter: road and sidewalk salt destroy shoes.

Nobody dresses for the weather any more because they live in little cocooons of central heating, heated garages, heated cars, and heated offices. God forbid their delicate selves should ever come into contact with the actual climate. "Why do I have to buy a ticket out here on the sidewalk in the cold! It's not fair," exclaims the theatre patron clad in a zipper-front windbreaker, cargo shorts, and sneakers in February.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Nobody dresses for the weather any more because they live in little cocooons of central heating, heated garages, heated cars, and heated offices. God forbid their delicate selves should ever come into contact with the actual climate. "Why do I have to buy a ticket out here on the sidewalk in the cold! It's not fair," exclaims the theatre patron clad in a zipper-front windbreaker, cargo shorts, and sneakers in February.

This must be why they insist on having the heat jacked up on the bus. I climb on the bus every morning in my knee length down parka, bean boots, toque,scarf, mitts and longjohns..and immediately have to start peeling off layers as soon as I sit down. The heat is on so high, I have actually burned my leg on the heater when i sit next to the window. But of course, they are likely doing this in response to complaints from the majority of passengers who make no distinction between a "summer" wardrobe and a "winter" wardrobe.

Feraud

Bartender
Dagnabit, it's women in the workplace! They started all this with their dagnabbed jacked-up internal thermometers! (*whiney falsetto* Waaa iiit's so freeeezing in heeere!) lol lol lol
If these little ladies knew their place and not interfered we'd have our cold offices and thick wool suits! <cue fist shaking icon.>

olive bleu

One Too Many
If these little ladies knew their place and not interfered we'd have our cold offices and thick wool suits! <cue fist shaking icon.>

Well, you are welcome to spend a day at my workplace. I really don't believe there is any heat on whatsoever.

lets' start with the ladies washroom..(I've never been in the men's but i assume it's no better)..I have actually heard some of my co-workers accuse the thermostat gods, of intentionally keeping it cold as a freezer so we don't spend anymore time in there than necessary.

And it's not just the ladies complaining.. a new male employee, who i supervise(and who frankly, is not going to make it past the probationary period because he cannot keep up the required pace), has complained non-stop about how cold it is in his work area. I have zero control over the temperatures, but one day I found him trying to type with gloves on..my answer was "try typing faster".

We all wore the clip-type overshoes as kids here -- when we weren't wearing rubber pacs with bread wrappers inside them to keep our feet dry. And I wear Tingleys today, especially in winter: road and sidewalk salt destroy shoes.

This thread has me thinking I really ought to get myself a pair or two of galoshes, but I honestly don't know where I might find some to try on. (I'm reluctant to buy them online, as those childhood memories of ill-fitting rubbers are still very much with me.) Having just spent 80-some dollars for two resole jobs at the shoe repair (rubber soles, by the way, to replace the original leather ones, which are less than practical for a person who walks at least a couple of miles daily over often-wet pavement), getting more miles out of those shoes is of some concern.

The shoes themselves are thrift-shop finds from a few years ago, by the way. Quality used shoes far outlast lesser new shoes, and are often worth the cost of repairs, even when that cost greatly exceeds what I paid for the shoes originally.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't mean to be a pain but could you please choose less confusing/dramatic thread titles last time?I was expecting deep thoughts about illness, old age or even worse. Oh my. :eeek:

Also if one would search the FL for a thread about overshoes / galoshes it would be easier to find. [huh]

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I actually wore Tingleys, or maybe they were Totes, as a young insurance trainee about 1990. Hated the g/d things because of what they did to a shoe shine.

The tingley is the brand name I have, and they are called "commuter" as the model. They actually only cover the sides back, and a small bit on the toe of the shoes. If it is so nasty out, that this is not enough protection, I wear boots and keep the dress shoes safely inside for another day.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I don't mean to be a pain but could you please choose less confusing/dramatic thread titles last time?I was expecting deep thoughts about illness, old age or even worse. Oh my. :eeek:

Also if one would search the FL for a thread about overshoes / galoshes it would be easier to find. [huh]

Well there is a "connection" in some ways between old people and overshoes....I will not say more....lol....weee haaaaw!

Wearing 'rubbers' sounds hilarious to me, here in Sydney Australia a 'rubber' is synonymous with 'eraser',
sure conjures up some funny visuals!

On hearing a Brit say he keeps a spare tire (or is it tyre?) in the boot, we Yanks are tempted to respond that we generally keep our spare tires around our waistlines. All those Big Macs and Whoppers and freedom fries, you know.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
On hearing a Brit say he keeps a spare tire (or is it tyre?) in the boot, we Yanks are tempted to respond that we generally keep our spare tires around our waistlines. All those Big Macs and Whoppers and freedom fries, you know.

You mean "snickers bars".....lol!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've heard the spare tyre used before too Tony. When a spare tyre reaches big proportions it's referred to as a 'beer gut' here and
is considered a physical symbol of much investment in the local pub! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk