Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Want a Gray Hat

Kodiak

A-List Customer
The time has come. I sold the old Indy fedora in favor of cash, but I'm very seriously considering a new purchase sometime in the future.

I want something different, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm interested in.

This is obviously a problem.

I've found these two hats at The Fedora Store that could be promising. Both would be made in a gray felt with black ribbon, and the first link with a bound edge would be done in matching gray binding. I don't think I'd go through this site to buy them: would probably have Ken of Camptown hats or Art make it for me.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Keep in mind that this wouldn't be solely a dress hat: I want something I can wear around, not necessarily just with a suit.

Hat #1

Hat #2

(Also note that on this second hat I would probably have the brim trimmed down a bit, maybe to about 2 3/4 inches)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I too like hat number one. I'm just a sucker for a bound edge. That's the one thing my felt hat is missing. The next one will have it, though.

Just a thought - are you planning to keep whatever hat you buy a porkpie? It's just me, but I don't feel like that would work quite as well with some casual wear as a fedora - at least not in a 2.75" brim.

-Dave

Kodiak

A-List Customer
David- that post was somewhat hard for me to bend my mind around, looks like there might be some typos in there or something, but the brim width is a bit of a problem. I'm afraid I'll have to go that wide to get the look of the hat right.

I'm not always so fond of big brims though, which does pose a problem.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just a thought - are you planning to keep whatever hat you buy a porkpie? It's just me, but I don't feel like that would work quite as well with some casual wear as a fedora - at least not in a 2.75" brim.

David, I think I'd have to disagree with you on this note.....and this is only my opinion so take it FWIW, but I think a Pork Pie looks great as a dress hat or a casual Lid. Ok, I might agree with you somewhat on the brim length, but that's about it. [huh]

Kodiak, as far as your choice of hats, I like #1 as well.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Ok, I think I get it now. You mean you don't think a hat with that crown looks particularly dressy...

[huh] I dunno... I like it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points