Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a hat in THIS color! Any Akubra experts?

citRon

A-List Customer
I want a fedora in this color:

1152.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the Akubra Angler from Outback Outlet- http://www.outbackoutlet.com/shop/search.asp

It shows the color as 'Taupe', however, the Riverina on the page above it looks almost the same, it shows 'Fawn'. Can anyone ID the color for sure?
If this hat didn't have the holes in the side, it would be just about perfect; I'd put a 1 3/4" or so ribbon w/ bow on it.
I've looked at Akubra's site, Hatsdirect and others, and can't seem to find any styles other than these two with this color. I want a durable hat I can wear in all weather, so I'm shopping the Akubras- they seem to have the best reputation for durability.

dogsplayinpoker

New in Town
The Akubra Banjo Patterson I have is fawn which is actually beige in color.
It is a quality hat I got from noggintops.com. It is very stiff and has a 2 3/4" brim with a barramundi band. It has seen lots of outdoor wear and shows no ill effects. Also no vent holes.
BTW, those are great prices (outback outlet)if the size matches

Stoney

Practically Family
I just received a Tawny Fawn federation. It is a tan with dark specks in the felt.
The overall appearance is a dirty or dusty tan color, I would have been happier if they left the specks out of the felt. It looks OK, but could have been better.

I'm not sure about Akubra...However, Generally speaking taupe should actually be a combination of grey and brown. Next to a brown hat, taupe looks like it is grey. Next to a grey hat, taupe looks like it is brown.

citRon

A-List Customer
dogsplayinpoker said:
The Akubra Banjo Patterson I have is fawn which is actually beige in color.
It is a quality hat I got from noggintops.com. It is very stiff and has a 2 3/4" brim with a barramundi band. It has seen lots of outdoor wear and shows no ill effects. Also no vent holes.
BTW, those are great prices (outback outlet)if the size matches

Yeah- I've seen the Banjo, and I like it, but it's not offered in a color I like...

citRon

A-List Customer
Stoney said:
I just received a Tawny Fawn federation. It is a tan with dark specks in the felt.
The overall appearance is a dirty or dusty tan color, I would have been happier if they left the specks out of the felt. It looks OK, but could have been better.

I'm not sure about Akubra...However, Generally speaking taupe should actually be a combination of grey and brown. Next to a brown hat, taupe looks like it is grey. Next to a grey hat, taupe looks like it is brown.
-exactly, that's why I;m hoping someone can pinpoint the color of that hat.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Send an email to hats direct...

Contact Deb at Hatsdirect send her the pic and give her the specs of what you want/don't want and see if she can match a hat up for you.:eusa_clap
CJ

Mike K.

One Too Many
*NOTE*
The Riverina pictured on the Outback Outlet website does not accurately depict the true color of the hat. The actual hat is tan, but with a definite greenish tint (hence my reason for choosing it for a safari conversion). I wonder if Outback Outlet has the correct color names, as my original Riverina, purchased elsewhere, was listed as the color 'khaki' - not fawn - which corresponded to that listed on the Akubra website.

NonEntity

Suspended
Akubra "Expert"

An "expert" has been described as:

Someone more than 50 miles from home (where one may pose as anything).

"X" is an unkown quantity. "Spurt" is a drip under pressure. Get it?

With that said, I will simply assert than I am not an Akubra expert, but am very knowledgable.

The color of the Angler in your photograph is what Akubra calls Regency Fawn. The only other hats widely offered by Akubra in this color are the Traveller, made of its crushable Pliofelt, unlined, with a fabric sweatband, and a 3-inch bound brim, and the Sydney, a moderately dressy 2 1/2-inch brim fedora. However, this same color does pop up from time to time in familiar Akubra models, as well as vendor-specific models, sold only by vendors who ordered a batch. The problem is that they usually re-name the color, and of course, trying to get an accurate read on color from a web site photo is often an exercise in futility.

Akubra's Heritage Fawn, like in the Banjo Patterson and Lighting Ridge, is considerably lighter, more of a beige, but not as light as its Sand, as in the Territory and Overlander. Intermediate between Heritage Fawn and Regency Fawn is Fawn, a tan, as represented in the Snowy River and Coober Peedy, and the somewhat darker Nullarbor Tan, offered only in the Bushman.

Akubra's Dark Fawn, offered in the Overlander and Lawson, is darker than Regency Fawn. Darker still is Mid-Brown, like in its Explorer. Dark Brown, as in the Cattleman, is even darker, and the darkest Earth tone of all is Very Dark Brown, the Boss being an example.

The much-discussed-here Riverina, a vendor-specific model NOT on Akubra's web site, and is variously called Khaki and Fawn depending on the vendor, is but one color, and that is a decidedly green-tinted shade. The color Akubra uses to describe its famous Aussie Slouch is British Khaki, actually a quite dark loden green. I have intentionally left these two out of the above descriptions because, though Earthtones, they are green shades not in the same progression.

Confused? That means you are normal.

Bottom line: If you don't want the Regency Fawn Sydney or Traveller, try to find someone here or elsewhere who has bought the same-but-altered-name color in an Akubra you do like who can show you a good photo or, better yet, one in person. Alternatively, Nullarbor Tan being slightly lighter, you could get the Bushman, or, Dark Fawn being somewhat darker, you could go with one of the Akubra's offered in that color that you like.

Warning: If you hang out here long enough, you'll be shelling out big bucks to have Art Fawcett or another hatter make you a custom hat exactly per your specs. Sure, you can get any color you want!

citRon

A-List Customer
oohhhh....head...swimming...:confused:
Thank you for that, though, it answers the question. basically, I can't get an Akubra in that color! It's a shame Akubra is the only modern hat manufacturer that makes an affordable hat that can withstand real use and weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters