Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Want to Reduce the Thickness on a Mouton Collar

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I had a jacket made at Johnson Leathers (which I posted about previously). I asked for a mouton collar and I got one. Long story short: It's a warm jacket and I want to wear it a lot more now that it's colder (for Santa Monica anyway). I sorta don't like the way the collar turned out. It's too "Nanook of the North" for my tastes and I feel conspicuous when I wear it because it isn't *that* cold. Making the collar thinner (more like rabbit fur) is what I'm looking for.

What I want is to shave down the mouton so that it isn't as thick, basically more like a regular collar with a mouton lining. There's a local taylor /cleaner that everybody raves about. I haven't taken it in yet, but I will shortly. My question is "does anyone have knowledge about this (shaving down mouton) to edify me?" I also suppose I could deal with Johnson also; but it's off-putting to think about paying to ship the jacket there and back (again).
JLF.jpg

Technonut

Practically Family
I've never seen it done, and would be VERY wary to have someone local do the work, unless I saw some damn good 'before & after' pics of a similar job(s)... ;)

Personally, I would happily pay the shipping to have the work done by JL. They know the jacket. It would just assure peace of mind IMO... :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
That may be a bit of a drawn out process I would think. I'm no expert but the length of fur would be the next stage up from the abattoir after skinning the dead sheep then tanning the hides. Basically most Mouton is simply sheepskin fleece that has had the GHD straightner treatment.
First it would have to go to Johnsons, then they would have to send it to their suppliers as I doubt they(Johnsons) would have prepared the collar in its raw state. next it may have to go to it's originators who supply the fleeces in the condition required by the various jacket manufacturers.
Going back to Johnsons or another jacket maker and explaining you want the collar replacing in a shorter fleece may be your best bet and cheapest option. Allowing a local alteration shop go mad with a set of clippers I don't think will work even with a No 6 attachment or whatever.
I'd have a go for you on an old beaver coat I have and let you know the results, unfortunately I have sold my dog clipper.

Just shaving the thing sounds like a really simple solution but one I would avoid... I mean, obviously it's been already done to the hide as they haven't just used a raw piece of pelt in its natural state but still, working with sheepskin is a profession of its own. I would specifically look for a furrier. It's actually what they do.

devilish

A-List Customer
Have you tried just simply getting it wet? That's what did it for most Navy pilots collars. I have done it to my GW G-1 collar. Mist it with warm water and then squish down with your hands and let it air dry.
It will also happen if you wear it in the rain or just wear it and sweat on it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Have you tried just simply getting it wet? That's what did it for most Navy pilots collars. I have done it to my GW G-1 collar. Mist it with warm water and then squish down with your hands and let it air dry.
Well worth a try.

Peacoat

Bartender
Now there is the best solution yet, although it wouldn't bother me a bit to take the clippers to it. I have clipped many a horse with good results. If, however, you have no experience with clippers, probably not a good idea.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a jacket made at Johnson Leathers (which I posted about previously). I asked for a mouton collar and I got one. Long story short: It's a warm jacket and I want to wear it a lot more now that it's colder (for Santa Monica anyway). I sorta don't like the way the collar turned out. It's too "Nanook of the North" for my tastes and I feel conspicuous when I wear it because it isn't *that* cold. Making the collar thinner (more like rabbit fur) is what I'm looking for.

What I want is to shave down the mouton so that it isn't as thick, basically more like a regular collar with a mouton lining. There's a local taylor /cleaner that everybody raves about. I haven't taken it in yet, but I will shortly. My question is "does anyone have knowledge about this (shaving down mouton) to edify me?" I also suppose I could deal with Johnson also; but it's off-putting to think about paying to ship the jacket there and back (again). View attachment 59918

Lovely jacket that Johnson!!! I've really admired it (the collar too).

I had a G-1 type custom made with the mouton collar & then felt the need for something similar but without the furry collar..an ANJ-3 was the answer..excuse for another jacket too.

I've learn't the hard way that some-times the best thing to do is to bite the bullet & let the maker deal with any alterations rather than some 'experienced' local....I've come unstuck before.

Best of luck with whatever path you choose.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Giving your 'mouton' a crew cut is going to make it extrememly itchy. I think you'd be better off sending your jacket back to J.L. & having a new/different collar put on.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Thanks to everyone. I needed info and I got info, so I feel better going forward. I'll call Alan at JL about this. If the collar has to be replaced anyway, maybe it makes sense to try the water treatment first. I'll discuss it with him. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW ALAN IS DOING THESE DAYS? ONCE YOU HIT 70, YOU'RE ON THIN ICE.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Heck, it looks fine. I guarantee that nobody who sees you will pay any attention. They're more likely to look at the 1930s retro cap, which has no place with that jacket. Just live with the fur and realize that as you wear it the fur will eventually squish down (or try the water thing, as suggested above). Next time get an A-2.

BobJ

Practically Family
Electric clippers come with attachments that limit how short the fur will be cut. I have used them to give many haircuts, and groomed many a dog (different clippers of course ;-) Start with the larger attachments and work down to the smaller ones if you want it shorter. It shouldn't make it itchier, as mouton is from sheep, is wool, and has no guard hairs that would become itchy if cut short. It will do the trick, and you will be happy.

Bob

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I agree with several of the above who advocate misting and scrunching. If that doesn't help you might try trimming it yourself using the appropriate attachment to an electric shears such as is used to trimming hair. I did this with a B-2 hat I got from US Authentics. It arrived with 3/4" fleece and looked ridiculous. Plus the shape of the ear flap was all wrong. I cut the flap into the appropriate shape and used the hair trimmer with a 3/8" attachment to shave it down. With the attachment in place uniform length was assured. Finally, since the flaps flared out, away from the cap, I ran a couple of stitches through the leather, binding it to the cap, applied some water (not a lot) and let it rest for a week or so before removing the stitches. Problem solved! I will say that with its extra-long bill, the B-2 still looks pretty dumb. Too much Elmer Fudd. The originals were flimsier and somehow didn't engulf the head so much.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I just got off the phone to Alan. It turns out he was lurking FL and emailed me! How's that for service? He said he had a number of colors to offer in a quarter inch shearling. He's sending me samples. I hate paying the freight; but you gotta do what you gotta do. At least it's cheaper than moving to San Francisco ;-)

To Dr Damage: It's not anyone else's opinion I'm concerned with. I want it to look perfect-perfect *to me.* That's the point of the whole exercise, isn't it?

Peacoat

Bartender
I just got off the phone to Alan. It turns out he was lurking FL and emailed me! How's that for service? He said he had a number of colors to offer in a quarter inch shearling. He's sending me samples. I hate paying the freight; but you gotta do what you gotta do. At least it's cheaper than moving to San Francisco ;-)

To Dr Damage: It's not anyone else's opinion I'm concerned with. I want it to look perfect-perfect *to me.* That's the point of the whole exercise, isn't it?
I think I would first try getting it wet and see how that goes. If the collar is going to come off anyway, you won't have anything to lose. Also might spend $35 on some hair cutting electric clippers and use the guard attachments as BobJ suggested above. I have also used the guard attachments. It is really hard to screw something up with the attachments, and if you do, the collar is going to be replaced anyway. You could get an electric clipper for about the cost of one way shipping for the jacket. Having done a lot of work with various clippers, I know how easy it is.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I think I would first try getting it wet and see how that goes. If the collar is going to come off anyway, you won't have anything to lose. Also might spend $35 on some hair cutting electric clippers and use the guard attachments as BobJ suggested above. I have also used the guard attachments. It is really hard to screw something up with the attachments, and if you do, the collar is going to be replaced anyway. You could get an electric clipper for about the cost of one way shipping for the jacket. Having done a lot of work with various clippers, I know how easy it is.

Thanks Peacoat. Your reasoning is sound. P.S. I already have a good clipper from the days when I had enough hair to give myself a buzz cut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko