Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Cream !!!!

softouch

New in Town
White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer

One of the oldest brands & many say the best, and it is available - "White Mountain Hand Crank Ice Cream Freezer".

Just a quick Google search found this shop: <http://www.brm-icecream.com/hand.htm> (The manufacturer's site was down)

Some think that it takes too long & some say that it is hard to crank as the ice cream starts to freeze - ain't true. Bonus is the person who cranks gets to eat the ice cream off of the paddle.

Very few electric models can take the strain during the final stages.

This is all we had as a kid in the '50s & I have one now. Worth a little extra effort!!!!!!!!!

You can also download the "White Mountain Ice Crean Freezer Instruction & Recipe Book"

Oh Yeah - Ice Cream - BLACK WALNUT!:D

Regards,
softouch

HepKitty

One Too Many
omg recipes please! they all sound delightful!

so far I must admit my tastes are boring, coffee, strawberry, and butter pecan... someone please send recipes and corrupt me!

thank you lol

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Rock31 said:
Soba-Ya in NYC serves a delicious Honey Wasabi ice cream for dessert, I try to get some everytime I am in the city.

There is a Japanese noodle house in St. Paul (Tanpopo) that serves a delicious green tea ice cream that is deep fried in a tempura shell.

Also staying in St. Paul, there is one of my favorite ice cream parlours, Grand Ole Creamery. They opened in 1984, but they definitely have an old timey aesthetic going on. In the fall they often have these flavors, among many: cinnamon, pumpkin, and nutmeg. I like to have a shake made from all three flavors...like drinking a slice of pumpkin pie.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Unca Dusty said:
There is a Japanese noodle house in St. Paul (Tanpopo) that serves a delicious green tea ice cream that is deep fried in a tempura shell.

oh yeah that does sound good...

HepKitty

One Too Many
here are some recipes that sound good, guess I should try them sometime

Coconut Lime Sorbet

a 15-ounce can cream of coconut (preferably Coco Lopez)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh lime juice

In a bowl whisk together ingredients. Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker. Transfer sorbet to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.

ok this one I know is good

Nutella Ice Cream

all you need is one part nutella and one part unsweetened condensed milk, you whisk it together (I heated the milk a bit to make it easier) and then put it in your ice cream maker. which I guess no one really has (I mean, I only own one knife and one bowl. not even a blender.) and in this case, you just put it in the freezer and then scrape the sides of the container (that's where it will start freezing at first) and the whisk it every hour or so.

SODA ICE CREAM

2 - 14 oz cans sweetened, condensed milk
6 - 12 oz cans fruit flavoured soda
(Orange Crush, Nehi Orange or Grape, Grapette)

Mix together well. Pour soda mixture into freezer mixer-bucket. Assemble
ice cream freezer as required and follow freezer instructions for
preparing ice cream.

**This does not make a full gallon.

**can also use Dr Pepper, etc.

**If using orange-flavoured soda, can add an 8-oz can crushed pineapple,
undrained, to the milk/soda mixture.

sorry another one not quite ice cream

PEACH AND PROSECCO ICE

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup orange juice
1 16-ounce bag frozen sliced peaches, thawed, juices reserved
1 cup chilled Prosecco or other sparkling white wine

Stir first 3 ingredients in medium bowl until sugar dissolves. Blend peaches and reserved peach juices in processor until peaches are finely chopped. With machine running, gradually pour in sugar syrup; process until smooth. Add Prosecco and blend well. Transfer mixture to container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep frozen.)

Scoop it into flutes and top with Prosecco for a lovely aperitif. The ice is good on its own, too, especially between courses.

Country Pumpkin Ice Cream

1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
5 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp. bourbon

In a bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 8 hours.

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 1/2 cups of the cream and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar. Cook until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the egg yolks, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, the remaining 1/2 cup cream and the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar. Whisk until smooth and the sugar begins to dissolve.

Remove the cream mixture from the heat. Gradually whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture until smooth. Pour the egg mixture back into the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and keeping the custard at a low simmer, until it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon and leaves a clear trail when a finger is drawn through it, 4 to 6 minutes. Do not allow the custard to boil. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.

Place the bowl in a larger bowl partially filled with ice water, stirring occasionally until cool. Whisk the pumpkin mixture into the custard. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours or up to 24 hours.

Transfer the custard to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add the bourbon during the last minute of churning. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or up to 3 days, before serving.

Ben & Jerry's Copycat Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups cream
1 cup milk
1 cup pumpkin, canned -- unsweetened
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

Pour about 1 cup of the cream base into another bowl, add the pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon, and stir until blended. Return the pumpkin mixture to the remaining cream base and blend.

Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

Aunt Linda's Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie

2 1/2 cups Trader Joes Triple Ginger Cookies, crushed, approximately 2 packages
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 quarts of your favorite homemade pumpkin ice cream, softened

Mix cookies in food processor until finely crushed. Add melted butter.
Press cookie mixture into 10-inch pie plate.
Bake 8-10 minutes at 375*, let cool completely.
Spoon ice cream into cooled crust.
Cover with saran wrap and freeze until firm.
Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving to allow pie to soften.

Whipped Cream Topping

1 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whip heavy cream until almost stiff. Add vanilla and sugar; beat until mixture holds peaks. Spoon a dollop on top of each slice of your freshly made Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie!

Kick the Can

This project is rated EASY to do.

What You Need

a 1 pound coffee can
a 3 pound coffee can

your favorite ice cream recipe or

2 quarts whole milk
2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 package (4 oz) instant pudding
1 cup sugar

3 cups rock salt
10 pounds ice

How To Make It

Mix pudding with milk. Add sugar and condensed milk. Makes 3 quarts. Place in smaller can leaving a one inch space. One recipe fills three one-pound cans.
Put ice and rock salt around smaller can [in larger can].
Place lids tightly on cans. You may want to seal the lids with duct tape.
Take turns kicking can around.

Chocolate sorbet

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 qt water
1-1 ½ c sugar
fresh mint

chop chocolate into small pieces. Heat water & sugar over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add chocolate, simmer until smooth. Turn heat down very low, simmer another 10 minutes. Cool to room temp, freeze 20 minutes, stir, freeze, stir, etc

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm a bit old school I suppose, I like good old fashioned vanilla ice cream (the stuff made with real vanilla that has all the little vanilla flecks through it), with or without choccie sauce over the top.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
HK, a pretty face hiding an evil mind, huh?;) Taunting a man on a 3000-calorie-per-day protein diet with recipes for sweets... and actually, I think there's an old hand-crank ice-cream maker somewhere around my grandmother's house--the problem would be finding it.

lol so some say

:eek:fftopic: Nice choice of planes to pose with in your av! The A-1 Skyraider was the first carrier-capable aircraft that could carry the same full payload as a B-17 Flying Fortress... not to mention more comfortable seats. If I had to make a single-engine warbird into a family-flyer, the "Spad's" only rival would be the TBF Avenger... and while the Avenger's folding wing makes it more "park-able", the Spad has more seats and luggage-room.

I wonder what it'd be like if I were to use Dr Pepper syrup as an ice-cream ingredient? 'Course, then it needs some ground NoDoz added for a kicker... (WHAT?! You say I "mainline caffeine" like it's a bad thing...lol )

HepKitty

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: lucky me the next day I got to climb in the cockpit and pretend for just one minute that I could actually fly... *sigh* was surprised, it was so much easier to see out of that than a Cessna or Piper which is odd for small planes, you'd think that little 5ft nothing me would have a harder time seeing over the dash in the Skyraider but no. I love that plane, from what I hear it was quite the thrill when the pilots buzzed the people setting up for the big band bash. have more pix on myspace and facebook if you'd like

I really should put that peach & prosecco ice higher on my list of priorities, it does sound divine. Puzzicato if you get to it first, please let us know how it turns out

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Smithy said:
I'm a bit old school I suppose, I like good old fashioned vanilla ice cream (the stuff made with real vanilla that has all the little vanilla flecks through it), with or without choccie sauce over the top.

Yeah, me too. Sometimes I like a good vanilla with just a splash of amaretto over it...or choccie sauce.

HepKitty

One Too Many
found this today www.nigella.com

Brandy Butter Ice Cream

* 600ml / 1pt Double cream
* 2tsp Natural vanilla essence
* 5tbsp Brandy
* 25g / 1oz Butter (melted and cooled)
* 397g Can of condensed milk

1. Whip the double cream until it's softly peaking. Fold in the natural vanilla extract, brandy, melted butter and the can of condensed milk. Mix together thoroughly to combine.

2. Turn the ice cream into a sealable plastic container and freeze for at least 8 hours. Scoop into glass or bowls to serve.
Serves: 8

Just as long as none of us try to play with the ice-cream maker in Kitchen Stadium or any of the recipes that've been run through it... (Seriously, who makes ice-cream out of trout? *barf* Some of those guys on Iron Chef America need their heads examined... or a Gibbs-style wakeup-call from Chairman Dacascos.)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Just as long as none of us try to play with the ice-cream maker in Kitchen Stadium or any of the recipes that've been run through it... (Seriously, who makes ice-cream out of trout? *barf* Some of those guys on Iron Chef America need their heads examined... or a Gibbs-style wakeup-call from Chairman Dacascos.)

ok yeah that sounds really gross

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I intend to have a go at bubble gum ice cream (I have such fond memories of this goop from Baskin-Robbins during my childhood) over the holidays, which may send some stomachs - if not some ice cream makers - churning...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112