Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideal Subarctic Set of Clothing for Summer and Winter

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Hello to all!

I have for some time now collected 1930s Finnish travel literature and Finnish Defence Forces' reports on clothing from the WWII to determine what would be the ideal set of clothing for subarctic climate when keeping the vintage look in mind (all of the following items can be actually found from traditional costume). When I write about subarctic I mean Dfc on Köppen climate classification scale and temperatures ranging from -20°C/-4°F to +20°C/68°F in most years. Occasional drops to -40°C/-40°F can be expected yearly.

What I have come up with the literature is as following. I hope all of you living at similar climate could give your thoughts, but I also appreciate opinions from others!

Summer
Wool flannel footwraps
Leather ankle boots
Oilskin gaiters
Wool-silk flannel underwear
Vadmal trousers
Leather belt

Linen shirt
Oilskin zeltbahn/poncho
Vadmal field cap

Winter
Wool flannel footwraps
Felt socks
Leather enforced felt shoes
Wool-silk flannel underwear
Vadmal trousers
Leather belt

String vest
Wool pullover
Wool shirt
Vadmal field cap
Wool mittens
Leather mittens
Cotton anorak with fur lining

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
For comparison here is a early 1900s Sami costume according to "How do they survive - facts about Lapp clothing":

- Underwear with long arms and legs (CO)
- Flanellette trousers
- Middle trousers (WO9
- Sweater (WO)
- Sweater jacket (WO)
- Lapp dress (WO)
- 3 pairs of woolen socks
- Winter boots of reindeer leather
- Footwear of reindeer leather
- Furcoat
- Mittens (WO)
- Scarf
- Fur cap
- Fur mittens
- Belt

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Here are some examples of what kind of fabric I was thinking to use in these clothing items:

1. For trousers

asetakkikangasm36.jpg

2. For anorak

sadetakkikangasm36.jpg

3. For gaiters, bags etc.

leipalaukkukangas.jpg

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
A casual winter jacket for the city and for skiing is also a thing that would be nice to have. I've copies of tailor patterns for several winter coats, including this Viennese ski jacket from pre-1935 that seems to be identical to German Panzer jacket/wrap.

hiihtotakkikuusisenuuti.jpg

hiihtotakkikaavakuusise.jpg

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
I also have patterns for various Finnish military jackets from the late 1920s and 1930s that were mostly based on civilian designs. I'm thinking I could do some modifications based on the reports from the users I have collected and get a nice winter jacket for example for skiing.

However for fall I would still need a windproof shirt of linen (or cotton) which looks something like this (minus the necktie).

6902.jpg

pallopaitaulkoilemaan.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda