Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
First, Katharine Hepburn

Second, Katharine Hepburn

Third, Katharine Hepburn

Fourth, Bette Davis

Fifth, Bette Davis

Sixth, Barbara Stanwick

Basically, I like women with character and intelligence. Unlike Lou Grant, I like spunk:) .

farnham54

A-List Customer
I may get a few scoffs for this one, but I can't say I'm terribly familiar with ladies from the Golden Era as it were.

As for "dames" I'd love to take out to dinner and dancing, top of my list is Audrey Hepburn. Amazing.

Second would be far more modern: Kiera Knightly. God's gift to men everywhere, she is.

Sorry for popping out of era her, ladies and gents!

Cheers,

Craig

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Funny you say that Farn.

I was watching War and Peace the other night with Henry Fonda and Audrey and it was bothering me all 3 hours of the movie:
Audrey kept reminding me of someone else I'd seen recently.

I finally realized that she shares many facial qualities with Kiera Knightly.

Anyway, yah, I'd say Audrey, too.

Dorothy Malone?

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
I know I am new but for me give me a girl who knows what time it is..........
God Bless Lili St. Cyr

STCYR10.JPG

LILIFACE.JPG

and the one that hangs in my bunk autographed
17784536.JPG

Let Ester Win One More A

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
The younger Katherine Hepburn captivates me. Her mannerisms and movement are, to me, similar to my fiance, Angela

k_hepburn02.jpg

I fell in love with Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man. Slightly out of the era but I just loved her role as she played strong and lady-like all at the same time. She really held her own against John Wayne. "I'm no woman to be honked at and come running."

MHara.jpg

As well as a few others I would watch when growing up. Lucy was great because here was this beautiful woman who would get dirty in almost every episode. Rosalind Russell played opposite of Cary Grant in His Girl Friday. Her wit and fast remarks made her stick out in my mind.

leading_ladies.jpg

All of these women had class, style and self confidence and at the same time weren't afraid to be soft and gentle.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I know I'm a girl and might be disqualified, but what about Joan Fontaine? She's stunning in Rebecca, graces us with The Women and Jane Eyre as well. And she does that lovely lost look so well that Mr De Winter can't resist:

anj4de

New in Town
Carole Landis...what a beauty!!!

Hi Paddy, all...

First of all, great to hear you are doing better. It as a long time since you posted last...

Back to the subject; Carole Landis is also my absolute favourite girl from the "Golden Age" I have first seen her in the picture you posted, wearing the A-2, and than started digging around the web. Check out http://www.anthropoetics.ucla.edu/cl/index.htm thgat is one hell of a Carole Landis memorial page.
I have since started to search for her movies and bought a couple of them, some are really good. A really nice one is "Four Gills in a Jeep" were she actually plays herself as USO star in WWII. I have an original copy of the book, written by Carole, as well and also found a rael autographed picture in E-bay a while back.

Second in line, or may I say equal, would be Maureen O'Hara. I simply love her movies, she was just super, super...

cheers
Uwe

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I finally realized that she shares many facial qualities with Kiera Knightly.

Actually, if it was one modern actress that reminds me the most of Audrey Hepburn, it'd have to be Natalie Portman. It's almost uncanny!
She also acts similarly to Audrey Hepburn. Keira Knightley in real life has a tendency to act like a dumb blonde, especially in comparison to Natalie Portman, who carries herself intelligently and elegantly.

aud44.jpg

natalie_portman6.jpg

farnham54

A-List Customer
Very true, as far as personalities go, Audrey Hepburn and Kiera Knightly are very different from what I can gather in their acting. Kiera tends to play a feminstic butt-kicker more then anything else, to me. But based on sheer beuty, if I had to pick either one of them, I'd be torn. Both have different qualites but are equally gorgeous.

Cheers,

Craig

Wild Root

Gone Home
Who here can say they have met one of these wonderful ladies? I have met and talked with Ann Rutherford! She's so great! She's good friends with my buddy down in Redlands. It was so cool to meet one of the girls who played in some of the first Andy Hardy films and Orchestra Wives with Glenn Miller.

She's swell!

Root.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Originally posted by Wild Root
I have met and talked with Ann Rutherford! She's so great! She's good friends with my buddy down in Redlands. It was so cool to meet one of the girls who played in some of the first Andy Hardy films and Orchestra Wives with Glenn Miller.

Which Andy Hardy movie was she in? I love those movies!

Wild Root

Gone Home
I think the first one she was in was Love meets Andy Hardy.

I believe she was in a few others, not sure. But, she was also in Gone With the Wind! Can't remember which part she played, but she was there!

Such a sweet lady, still with us as well! Hope to see her again before her time is up.

Keepin' it vintage,

Wild Root.

PS. See Orchestra Wives! It's a great movie!!! That's one of my biggest reasons I love Ann!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112