Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you are interested in living in Japan

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I have a former housemate/freind that did the JET programme and really enjoyed it, and has lifelong freinds he made while there.

So it comes recommended.

He still helps interview the new JET candidates in Los Angeles every year.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
LaMedicine said:
Kinda :eek:fftopic: and not sure where to post this, but since I have seen various threads with topics on Japan, if any of you are interested in living in Japan, there is a program that is sponsored by the Japanese government called The JET Programme.
I hope it interests someone.:)

I plan to go to Japan in September of next year. I plan to stay about two weeks. would be nice to know the best places to go. Though i DO need to be in Tokyo for about 4 days

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Domo

During my wild youth, I studied Kyokushinkai karate, a style
founded by Matsutatsu Oyama, a legendary fighter and former
Shotokan exponent, whose Tokyo dojo headquarters was a magnet
for all American karateka. Another dojo for Shotokan stylists
was dubbed "the hornet's nest" because blood flowed freely and
one was frequently "stung." I had planned to stay in Japan for one
full year, however, GI Bill college realities kept me home.
Now, ensconced in middle age, whenever I think of Japan,
I am more intrigued by cherry blossom trees in Kyoto, silk screen art,
and kubuki theater..., all things I'm sure I would have missed in
my twenties....

Hondo

One Too Many
I’d love to go to Japan and Okinawa (by way of Hawaii) someday, I have family somewhere over there, its been a dream of mine, very beautiful country, rich in history, I don’t know if its ever possible due to lack of funds, you know its expensive to live there, perhaps you (me) could find a host family, still never know, keep dreaming:)

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Thanks much for posting that LaMedicine. I'm interested in spending a few years in Japan and perhaps this program could provide the opportunity. When I visited Japan last year I really fell in love with the country.

Naama

Practically Family
I just started on university this year, so it will take some time till I have graduated :rolleyes: So maybe in 4 years I'll be doing this(?)

Naama

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Harp said:
I am more intrigued by cherry blossom trees in Kyoto
Cherry blossoms only a few minutes from where I live...in Tokyo.:)
06MarchSakura-016W.jpg

05Sakura16web.jpg

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Vermifuge said:
I plan to go to Japan in September of next year. I plan to stay about two weeks. would be nice to know the best places to go. Though i DO need to be in Tokyo for about 4 days
Tokyo itself is like any other megalopolis all over the world. Still, you can find spots of the quaint which survived the air raids during WW II. Hato Bus Company has several tours done in English, or you can take public transport all over Tokyo and discover the city with your own two feet.
If you are thinking of doing some sightseeing of historic places, Nikko and Kamakura are two easily accessible cities from Tokyo, with Nikko about 1.5 hour train ride out of Tokyo, and Kamakura about a 50 min train ride. Other places you shouldn't miss if you have the time to travel some, is Kyoto and Nara, the two ancient cities that date back 1000 years. I would also like for anyone who visits Japan, to go to either Hiroshima or Nagasaki and see their A-bomb memorials. A lesson in peace. Nagasaki, though it is about 1.5 hours by plane from Tokyo (about 8hrs by train including Shinkansen, the bullet train) is an interesting city, not only because of its history of the nuclear bombing, but because between early 17th century to mid 19thC was the only port open to other countries--Korea, China and Portugal, and even after Japan opened itself to the rest of the world in 1858, it was still one of the hub ports for foreign trade. It was the window to the outside world, and though much of the city was destroyed by the bomb, many have been rebuilt which are all tourism spots now.

These are places that come right off the top of my head. However, you may have other insterests. In that case, please let me know, and I'll see if I can dig up some English info for you.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
For a long while I've wanted to go to Japan, and I still do.
Unfortunately, I don't think I'd do it even if I had the dough because there's no way I'm stepping into an airliner... or any kind of jet for that matter.

I can only hope that ocean liners make a comeback... if the Zeppelin is doing it, why can't ships?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tokyo

LaMedicine said:
Cherry blossoms only a few minutes from where I live...in Tokyo.:)

Hai, Tokyo. Domo arigato LaMedicine. My father particularly admired
Tokyo and was fond of talking about his time in Japan.:)

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie, thank you for the recommendation.

CharlieH. said:
Unfortunately, I don't think I'd do it even if I had the dough because there's no way I'm stepping into an airliner... or any kind of jet for that matter.

I can only hope that ocean liners make a comeback... if the Zeppelin is doing it, why can't ships?
I believe there are freight ships that also accomodate passengers.

shindeco said:
I spent two years in Japan on the JET programme. I highly recommend it!!
Thanks for the recommendation. When/where did you stay?

Harp said:
My father particularly admired
Tokyo and was fond of talking about his time in Japan.:)
When/where did your father stay?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Tokyo

My father was in Japan during the 1950s. He and his group were
taken to the Imperial Palace, and he ruefully admitted that he was
so awed that he forgot to use his camera that day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21