If you choose only one,Horween CXL FQHH or Italian Vicenza HH?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by FrankGAO, Feb 14, 2018.

If you choose only one,Horween CXL FQHH or Italian Vicenza HH?

1. CXL FQHH

47 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. Italian Vicenza HH

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  1. ton312

ton312

IMG_7904.JPG IMG_0872.JPG Brown and cordovan CXL steer or horse are hard to beat for color depth and pull up. These are both steer. Brown on top Cordo on bottom.
    FQHH Cordo:
    IMG_9333.JPG

2. ton312

ton312

Vicenza fit jacket I had, I believe russet brown?
    IMG_8380.JPG
    Latest CXL Bootlegger brown steer:
    IMG_7353.JPG
    Both are super nice hides and right out of the box the Vicenza drapes far better. My personal preference is for CXL. It's not as heavy or stiff as it's often labeled and the character it shows (waxy/oily finish) is just more appealing to me.

3. 2wheelgrplr

2wheelgrplr A-List Customer

Harbin? Dayum bro, you should be getting an Irvin or a B3, they don't call it the Ice City for nothing!

I have both FQHH and Vicenza, like both for different reasons. If you want to start perhaps start with FQHH. Next one you can go with Vicenza, and there will be a next one!!!

El Marro likes this.
  4. Mark

Mark Practically Family

I was thinking along the same lines. If it gets cold over there you will want an Irvin of some description.
    Leather regardless of it's thickness will not keep you warm.

Dav likes this.
  5. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

I would definitely go CXL over Vicenza. People say CXL is too stiff but after it's rained on a few times it will become more malleable. Stiffness depends a lot on the hide as well, I had a Highwayman in black CXL I bought a few years back that took a full wet winter before it got comfortable to wear, but a CXL Bootlegger I got late last year was comfortable out of the box. I prefer horsehide over steerhide as I think it develops a more mottled patina over time. Generally steerhide tends to be heavier than horsehide but there are plenty of heavy horsehide jackets about.

davyjones007 likes this.
  6. ksozay

ksozay Practically Family

That bootlegger is unbelievably beautiful. Wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ton312 likes this.
  7. FrankGAO

FrankGAO New in Town

Haha, I think you must be right.

Dav likes this.
  8. FrankGAO

FrankGAO New in Town

Yeah,Harbin--Ice City!

I also like B3, but it would be a bit out of place if I wear it normally. People usually wear down jacket, I always wearing my ALPHA N3B at -30°C.

I think I got a leather jacket, will buy another one soon!

Thanks!

9. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

A couple of years ago, after purchasing the 30s Half Belt pictured Tony’s wearing, I proclaimed “I’ll never go back to FQHH”. Well, I never considered steerhide, which I will say, has become my daily wearer. Way heavier than Vicenza, but just a ball to wear, and seems to feel more “jacket-like” than the stubborn horse.

Here is Tony’s try-on jacket (it’s seal although I thought it was originally russet) next to a cordo steer Highwayman. Both are lovely jackets, but I’d pick the Highwayman.

F3CC7CF4-29FD-4187-97E5-A7BD5F74F47A.jpeg

30s Half Belt seal Vicenza:

287E50D6-6877-49AC-B463-2F7E79871378.jpeg

Highwayman cordovan steer:

48DD5FAE-267A-485D-AFDE-C046848B82D9.jpeg

Both are ace jackets. I’d go Highwayman then half belt in that order. The Highwayman is special.

10. FrankGAO

FrankGAO New in Town

Thank you!
    Very useful advice!

11. FrankGAO

FrankGAO New in Town

Hi,ton312!
    Thank you for your advice and photos.
    Perfect jacket! Perfect and strong body. I prefer the brown CXL to the other colors, and I'm more convinced by your photos.:)

12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

After owning a few Horsehide jackets, I tend to agree with @nick123. Steerhide is great for a jacket. The exception I found was Thedi. His horsehide is wonderful feeling.

davyjones007 and nick123 like this.
  13. FrankGAO

FrankGAO New in Town

Thank you for your advice!

Brown CXL FQHH is truly unique, I liked it deeply since I saw it at first time, and the more I watched it, the more I became obsessed with it. The Dark Seal Vicenza HH didn't feel that way.

Peter Bowden likes this.
  14. Monitor

Monitor

Jerky Horsehide! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

King B, davyjones007, BobJ and 6 others like this.
  15. FrankGAO

FrankGAO New in Town

Thanks nick123,
    I prefer Highwayman to 30s Half Belt, because I am so fat, and some sellers tell me that Highwayman is more suitable for fat people.

nick123 likes this.
  16. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Shush that talk. I am skinny enough to break in half. We’re all weird here. You’re fine.

17. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

@nick123, In my 12 years as a member of this forum I had never seen anyone pose a jacket upside down before. It is a novel concept. Not sure I like it, but it is creative.

AeroFan_07 and nick123 like this.
  18. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

That’s the iPhone for you!

Edward and AeroFan_07 like this.
  19. pauleway

pauleway Practically Family

I have both, and for me there is no comparison - Vincenza for sure!
    FQHH too stiff and heavy, and in most cases(Batches), will always be too stiff and heavy and uncomfortable!

20. ksozay

ksozay Practically Family

I have both the Vic and FQHH. I've ordered a Steerhide from Carrie so excited to try that one out but don't have much experience with that yet.

Depending on what you're accustomed to wearing and your needs - it will really largely depend on what will make you happy. I was hesitant with ordering the Vic hide jacket. Was worried that the hide would be too flat in color, too thin, and feel too much like lamb skin. Was pleasantly surprised.

The FQHH is one of the nicest hides I've experienced. Just make sure you're prepared for the weight. It can take some time to get used to the weight of the jacket if you're not accustomed to wearing heavier jackets. That said, if I had to get ONE jacket from Aero, I would start with the FQHH. If you don't like it, probably easier to resell.

Whatever choice you make, you will end up with a great jacket. It's really how much time you will spend wondering if you should have purchased the other. Odds are, based on your comments, you'd probably spend more time wondering if you would have been happier with FQHH, should you decide to go with Vic. The only way I see the reverse happening is if you decide the weight is too much for you.

FrankGAO, Vezio and Monitor like this.