Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had $250 budget. What hat would you buy the same day and why.

job

One Too Many
I'm in the market for a hat. I won't mention the color. I don't want to wait for months for it to be made or to possibly find on the bay. Not at this time of year. It made me think of this forum and what would some of you buy if it had to be bought today. $250.00 budget.
John

job

One Too Many
The Alessandria in light grey is high on my list. Also a Borsalino Film in grey from Bencraft at $240. I also have been looking at a Benchley 100% beaver in caribou at the fedora store at $249.

mustangman3000

One of the Regulars
A fino grade panama blocked in the usa from panama bob. Not sure if that counts, as I have no idea how long it takes to get a hat from PB.

m0nk

One Too Many
Actually, I'd agree with all of these. I'd have a tough time choosing between the Borsalinos from Bencraft and getting a couple of Fed IVs (though I already have a couple of these). Of course, this is only if you're not patient. Personally, though, I'd still bump up the budget a touch and get a custom Penman or Art Fawcett. Better to make the most out of that kind of money, JMO though.

job

One Too Many
My last three hats were custom made and took months to arrive. I need a break from the peeking at my front and back door let down. I'm not wanting to wait this time. I thought about a panama also but the wait to wear it would be just as bad for me.

m0nk

One Too Many
My last three hats were custom made and took months to arrive. I need a break from the peeking at my front and back door let down. I'm not wanting to wait this time. I thought about a panama also but the wait to wear it would be just as bad for me.
Well, if you already have custom ones, then yeah, I'd go for a Borsalino. Of course, without knowing what your collection is like already, I don't know what style(s) you might not have yet. :D

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Since you don't want to wait, it would depend on what brick and mortar retailer you were buying from had to offer. The way you've described your wants, NOTHING would work that you had to ORDER . So where are you buying from, and what do they have in the way of hat brands to offer? You want to pay your money, put your hat on your head and go out the door right ? Your requirements for immediate gratification rules out ANY hat from ANY offshore internet retailer, and for that manner most other internet retailer as you would have to wait for the hat to be shipped so it only leaves a brick and morter store for you to buy from. What retailers are in your area and what do they offer?

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
I would order it online. I can wait that long. Some more ideals please. What would YOU buy. I want to know what you would want.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would choose a Borsalino for immediate satisfaction.......and probably regret it at some point. Purchases based on speed of delivery have never really worked out for me in the long run.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I would order it online. I can wait that long. Some more ideals please. What would you buy.

I'm guessing from what you say, standard US shipping times of 3to 5 days would be acceptable to you? This would rule out any OZ retailers for an Akubra, so I would personally ( without any style or color preferences given by you) go for an Akubra or two from one of the 3/4 US retailers or my personal favorite, an Allesandria model of Borsolino from a retailer that would have it in the price range you want to pay. As to which model of Akubra, it depends on the style you want and you would have to be willing to choose from what was IN-STOCK and offered by the retailers. If you want something different which may be offered by Akubra, model wise or color, your back to waiting longer than you have said you would want to wait. Many of the OZ retailers, OFFER all the versions of ALL the models Akubra makes but do not STOCK all hence the wait often times. This is why I would rule out any OZ retailers.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I'd go for the Bosalino Film in brown. What I lack patience in is seeking out vintage hats. Btw, I have two VS hats and they were both well worth the wait. Maybe you you could find a Stetson Nostalgia at a good price since Hatco recently dropped them from production. That would satisfy your urge to get a vintage-style fedora quickly. Then put some money down on a VS by Art Fawcett.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I would choose a Borsalino for immediate satisfaction.......and probably regret it at some point. Purchases based on speed of delivery have never really worked out for me in the long run.
I agree. If I had $250 burning a hole in my pocket right this second I would do one of three things:
1) I would search ebay for a BIN hat that fit my description (7 3/8 or 7 1/2 custom, vintage Borso, vintage Stetson, etc.)
2) I would post in the classifieds that I had $250 to spend on a 7 3/8 size hat and I'm looking for a vintage Borso or high quality vintage Stetson.
3) I would buy a custom hat from a person that will do one for $250 or wait until I have saved $400.

I just checked and I found a BIN that I would have just purchased. :)
Mike

frussell

One Too Many
Save your money on the modern Stetson. I've never seen a Benchley in person, but if my Pinnacle is any indication of what Stetson is pushing as "100% Beaver," I'd feel pretty rotten if I had paid over $100 for it. The attention to detail I would expect in any hat over $150 or so is just not there. I'd take a gamble on something vintage from eBay, or from here on the classifieds. Have fun. Frank

Richard Warren

Practically Family
For what its worth I have a Borsalino Film bought from JJ Hat's some years ago and an Alessandria from Bencraft. The Film is much more wearable despite the gold name on the ribbon. The Alessandria is much softer and has much more flange than say an Open Road, to the point that it is fairly eccentric looking.

I also have a Benchley which is actually pretty nice but I prefer the open crowned Film.

I also should tell you that the Alessandria came "branded/labeled" something like "Trionfo" not in the manner of Borsalinos I am familiar with. Another hat I bought from Bencraft came branded "Vanzina" or something like that. This branding plus the relatively low price made me wonder whether the hats you get from Bencraft are a second tier brand from Borsalino (not saying they are, just that an element of doubt has been planted in my mind).

That being said, I would see if I could get a Peters Brothers fedora.

scooter

Practically Family
I would contact Mike Moore and see what he had in stock, and see what kind of deal I could work with him. This might even work with Art, but I don't know if he works on a strictly "per order" basis.

Twill

One of the Regulars
I'd pop on one of the many vintage lids on ebay right now. There's so many, you could easily find one that's ending in a couple of days for under $250 (unless you have a large head).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points