Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had to buy a new car.....

Bebop

Practically Family
Looks like I will be needing a new car soon. I don't see any that grab me much. Just wondering if anyone has purchased a new car recently and thought it was thumbs up or thumbs down and if so, why. If you had to buy a new car today, which would you buy and why?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
If money wasn't an issue: a Tucker.
But because money is an issue, maybe a VW Passat. I have a Jetta that I love but the Passat is bigger and you can drive in automatic mode or shift gears. I might even get a Hyundai as they have good warranties on their vehicles...maybe a Hyundai Santa Fe.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
Honestly I don't know, because I ride a motorcycle. But if I had to get a car, I would look at one of the hybrid vehicles; they say that you get a good tax break for certain kinds of fuel efficient cars. Outside of hybrid cars, Suzuki is a brand to look at. They claim to have the best warranty in America and the price for their autos makes them a hard value to beat. The company is in every avenue of building motors. They make motorcycle engines, marine engines, a.t.v. engines, and yes, even automobile engines.

But I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t know that much about them really, I have never bought a Suzuki. I have a Yamaha motorcycle right now and used to have a Honda motorcycle. The only car/truck I ever owned was a 1994 Ford Ranger, but even that had a Mazda engine and transmission (which in 140,000 miles never gave me a single problem).

But Ford and GM are running into financial troubles again so you might be able to get a good steal of a deal from them. And many of the Ford?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s still have Mazda engines and transmissions that I know of, which are pretty darn good from my experience.

Do you really want a new car? Buying a used car is generally the best bet.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
VeeDub

Both mine are ready to be replaced, and a VW Passat is at the top of the list. The Kia Amante catches my eye, but as a 1st year model, I'd be gun-shy.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Toyota Solara

The V-6 Solara is what I have been driving and I've been very happy with it. Great style and appointments. Camry reliability (it's the two-door version). A lot of horsepower. Buying another in a year or two.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I love my little chili-pepper red Saturn Ion Quad Coupe. It gets 35 mpr on the highway, has a fairly large trunk for a coupe. I drive it around Des Moines and folks refer to it as "that red California car."

If I had big money, I would probably spring for some red, sporty car, but not sure what it would be. Don't like SUVs. They all look alike. If I were younger and wanted that sort of thing, I'd get a red Jeep Wrangler.

karol

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I'm on my second Subaru Outback. I have the wagon, it's very versatile, fun to drive, and gets about 33 mpg on the highway, 28 or so in stop-and-go traffic.

I think Toyota's quality control has really slipped lately, so I'd be very hesitant to buy another Toyota. My wife drives a 2004 Sienna and it has been recalled for various defects six times, plus the brake pads and rotors had to be replaced (under warranty) at less than 15,000 miles because the pads cracked and scored the rotors. In almost 30 years of driving, I've never had a car that was in the shop so often, and that includes my old 1972 Triumph TR6!

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
photobyalan said:
I think Toyota's quality control has really slipped lately, so I'd be very hesitant to buy another Toyota. My wife drives a 2004 Sienna and it has been recalled for various defects six times, plus the brake pads and rotors had to be replaced (under warranty) at less than 15,000 miles because the pads cracked and scored the rotors. In almost 30 years of driving, I've never had a car that was in the shop so often, and that includes my old 1972 Triumph TR6!

My parents used to have a 1986 Toyota Camery that they bought new(sp). Piece of junk. The brakes were always bad, and it was always in the shop for brake problems. It was replaced in 1995 by a brand new Ford Taurus. The Taurus is a far superior car. It was only in the shop for a tune-up and oil changes, transmission service etc. My 1991 Mustang has over 200,000 miles on its 2.3L four-banger. No leaks, smoke, and it gets pretty good milage. If I had to get a new car, it would be a Mustang. Second choice, Chrysler 300. I like the T-Birds and Crossfires too.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Two weeks ago, I was in a car accident that totaled out my 2002 Olds Intrigue. :cry: Luckily, no one was injured AND it was the other guy's fault. Unfortunately, I was left in need of a new car.

The nature of my work requires that I drive an American-nameplate, union-made auto, so my choices are significantly limited. With a 2?Ǭ? year-old, I was also looking for a 4-door sedan...again narrowing the field of possibles.

I settled on a 2005 Buick LaCrosse CSX. So far, I'm very pleaesed with it. The car is solid and quiet; the improved engine provides lots of power, and the handling is very responsive. I've seen lots of "blah" reviews on the LaCrosse base models (the CS and CSL), but the CSX is an outstanding car.

If you're looking for a 4-door family sedan, give this one a look. The pricepoint on the Buick was virtually the same as I paid for the Olds in 2002, despite being a nicer, better-built automobile. Good luck with your search!

shamus

Suspended
I for one, would never buy a new car. I'd buy a used car. Get a model a couple of years old, you'll save thousands.

Personally, I'd choose a honda or toyota. If you want to go back a few years, the 1990 and up Accords are fantastic.

But like beauty, purchasing a car is up to the guy with the money... so pick what you like, in both function and form.

If you want resell, then I'd skip GM and Ford. See how much a late 90's car from them are going for now as paired with a honda.

That being said, I personally drive a 1970's ford, but things change after 30 years, not 10.

Bebop

Practically Family
Thanks for alot for the helpful ideas :cheers1: . I would buy used but I am one of those guys that enjoys breaking in a new car and watching as it progresses through the years. I like the Chrysler 300 alot and the Crossfire but the Crossfire does not look like it could hold my German Shepherd in the back seat for too long and I drive at least once a month with her from San Francisco to Spokane Wa. I think that I am stuck between the "comfort or utility" zone. I am trying to stay away from SUV just because they seem a little boring in the style dept. It seems like everyone loves their Passat and is kind of disappointed with their new Toyotas (I hear about alot of brake problems with Toyotas). Still hashing things out. Aquia33, that is another great looking stylish car but I would have to tie my dog to the roof if I wanted to take her anywhere. Looks like a great second car.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bebop,
I am happy to hear your interest in the Chrysler 300, but make it a 300C. I am surprised that prople didn't have more fun with this thread. Personally, I have strick brand allegiance to Jeep because I have had awesome luck with them and two of them have saved my skin! I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I love currently, but you asked about cars.

I would say, the Chrysler 300C would be perfect. It is highly rated (was a Motortrend Car of the Year -if I am not mistaken), and has wonderful retro-inspired styling. It is a car you accessorize with a Tommy Gun!

Also, since you have a dog, have you seen the Chevy HHR? I know nothing beyond its styling, but it looks like a larger, beefier, more manly PT Cruiser.

The Crossfire is amazing, and made of mostly Mercedes parts. Not every practical though, sadly.

The BMW X3 is nice. It is a very small, but roomy SUV. They seem to be very reliable as well. Remember, BMW designed the new Land Rovers, Ford just produced them.

Anyway, let us know what you get and good luck!

airfrogusmc

Suspended
With the gas situation I would recommend a Prius. I have a good friend that has one and its great. 50+ miles per gallon. If we all drove one gas wouldn't be 3 bucks a gallon.

I drive a Civic and would also recommend a Civic. 1999 and over 70,000 and break pads, tires, battery and exhaust are all thats gone wrong.

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
(You hear the sound of spurs ringing in the background)
(They?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re getting closer..)

The double doors of the saloon swing open to the sight of a dusty motorcycle rider wearing black leather from head to toe.

?¢‚Ǩ?ìSomeone got a problem with motorcycles??¢‚Ǩ? (You hear the sound a rattlesnake followed by the unmistakable words, Whaaa, Wha, Whaaa)

Just kidding, but you know there is a lot to be said for a motorcycle. I have one as my only means of transportation. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s awesome. You get used to the rain, and when you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re all suited up, the rain doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t even touch you.

A motorcycle payment (not a Harley now) is only 150 a month, my full coverage insurance was 250 a year. My Yamaha V-Star 1100 gets 50 miles to the gallon. Insurance and gas savings alone over a car are more than paying for the motorcycle payments. So, compared to you automobile hounds, I am getting a motorcycle for free compared to your running expenses verses mine.

If you mainly travel by yourself to work and such, then get a motorcycle, you will not believe the savings, and don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t forget, you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d be one of us then, go to as many motto events as you want, there?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re fun and all are welcome.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Zemke Fan said:
Let's see a show of hands from ANYONE who's surprised by Bob's choice... Anyone... Anyone... Buelller...?
Not surprised at all. Actually I picture Bob dressed like Lee Marvin from "The Wild One"--striped shirt and cap with upturned brim,googles...and one bad attitude. :cool:

Zach R.

Practically Family
As long as we are posting our "next cars":

auto_MakeDeLoreanDMC_1981_DeLorean-resized200.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21