Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you only had one old rifle, which?

Doug C

Practically Family
So I am strongly considering getting myself a rifle and I've never owned a gun before so I'm new to the "sport". It's been years since I even shot a gun. I don't plan on doing any Deer hunting I'm not a hunter (yet atleast) but not really apposed to it eventually. Would probably use it for target shooting, etc. I'd like to get something that's "classic", don't want to walk into the local sporting goods store and guess at which one to get - they all tend to look alike. I was thinking of a M1 Garand only because it was the WWII rifle the US troops used, though it may be more than I need. Anyone have suggestions or just advice in general for a complete newb?

Doug C

Natty Bumpo

New in Town
Get your C & R license from the fed.gov at $30.00 for 3 years. Then go to http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/sales.htm and order an M1 or a 1903 or an M1 carbine.

All are genuine historical artifacts, some are war-babies. By purchasing here, you will help preserve our history and promote civilian ( especially youth ) marksmanship.

The C & R is easy to obtain and allows purchase at dealer cost with to-your -door delivery of a world of firearms.

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
full.jpg

I highly recommend a Swiss K-31. It's a straight pull rifle with an amazing action. It's also highly accurate, even over iron sights. At 100 yds, I was shooting better groups over open sights than the guy next to me with the Garand using a bench rest and scope.

For safety, the bolt is easily removed from the gun, rendering it completely inoperable, if you're concerned about that sort of thing.

In terms of quality, many collectors have said that if somebody wanted to sell new K31s of the same quality as the old ones, they'd have to sell for well over $2,000. That speaks a lot to the precision manufacturing that went into these classic guns. They're slick.

The only down side to a K-31 is the availability of ammo. The 7.5x55 cartridges you get from surplus places is called GP-11 and it's incredible stuff, but modern stuff is also in production. It's easily found online, but unless you have a gun store that carries old Curio & Relic rifles, you won't be able to pop into any gun store and get it. Wal Mart doesn't carry it.

One other "problem" is that the stocks are usually pretty beaten up around the butt. I've never seen one that doesn't have some character. But, I think it only adds to the gun's uniqueness.

Anyone with a Curio & Relic license probably has a couple. They usually run around $100 a pop. C&R guys tend to buy a couple and then thin out their collection, keeping only the best and selling the rest to private parties. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Doug,

While there have been some very good recommendations made here, most folks have suggested high powered rifles. Buying ammo for big center-fires can become fairly expensive if you do very much target shooting. Perhaps you should think about a .22 instead. The Marlin 39A is a classic lever action .22 that has withstood the test of time, and is very inexpensive to shoot!

Atticus

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you want something widely available but also with a romantic, classic history, don't forget the .30-06. Remington, Springfield, Ruger, Savage, just about anybody makes this gun. They are relatively inexpensive, ammo is always easy to find and you can shoot Army surplus from around the world (make sure the primers are NON-corrosive)

.30-06 are virtually unchanged since they were introduced in the early 1900's, they've been used in the military and police for a century, they're effective on everything from Cape Buffalo to Coyotes. Alot of guys came back from the service in WWII & Korea and this was one of the guns they purchased.

If you want to do any research, this is a good gun to consider. I know the .30/30's are fun too, and if you want something for more of a sniper angle, consider a .308.

If it's just plinking you want to do or light hunting, consider a Ruger 10/22.

Either way, I would seriously consider a .30-06.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Even better...

Get yourself a New England Firearms Handi-Rifle. It's a single shot, break open action that runs only around $250. I own one in .30-30 caliber and it is all I need. Why? Because NEF has a terrific barrel accessory program. Even though my rifle is fitted with a .30-30 barrel, I can order up (for a very nominal charge) a .22, .243, .45-70 Govt, .308 Win, 500 S&W, or just about any other caliber I desire. That's right, they are all interchangeable. Even better, I can order up any size shotgun barrel too. 12 gauge, 20 gauge, .410 bore, you name it. You pay for one gun and very cheaply turn it into any other gun for a fraction of the cost. Although you have to send your firearm to NEF for fitting the new barrels, once it is returned with however many different barrels you ordered, it is entirely user-interchangeable at that point. My .30-30 (a good size round for most U.S. game) will soon have an additional .22 Hornet barrel for smaller game and a 20ga shotgun barrel for wingshooting. It's nice to know that I can carry my additional barrels in my pack, along with ammunition, and be able to change them in the field as needed. New England Firearms has been around for awhile and makes a good quality, low cost firearm. I highly recommend them!
http://www.hr1871.com/
photo_Handi_500.jpg

Now if I only had one vintage firearm to carry it would undoubtedly be a double rifle - something along the lines of a .416 Rigby, Purdey, or Holland & Holland.
Guns-BoxDoubLG.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If money was no object then I'm with Mike, although I'd pick a .470 Holland and Holland.

If you are on a budget, I'm with Griffer, a Mauser K98 - beautiful action, well-made, rugged and a versatile rifle. Used one a lot back home in NZ and would recommend one wholeheartedly.

Cobden

Practically Family
Depend's what you want it for, really. If you want a true classic rifle, I'd suggest either a Short Magazine Lee-Enfield number 1mk.III, a Springfield '03, Kar '98, even a Moisin-Nagant or Garand (although I think a garand is cheating - there's nothing that compares to the feel of using a bolt action).

If rate of fire is what you want, the Lee-Enfield is still the fastest action to this day, and also has a larger magazine capacity of ten rounds as opposed to more usual five for bolt action rifles - the problem with these is the availability of .303 ammunition, unless you get a rechambered one (although these are nearly all number 4.s as opposed to the number 1's, which I prefer); has lovely balance, and perhaps the greatest history and pedigree of any service rifle.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
This is a grand question! The solution is a general purpose rifle, one that will do nothing supurbly but all things well. It would almost certainly have to be a bolt action .308. The Remington LTR comes to mind. Most of them are remarkably accurate, all of them are short and handy. A good scope will be necessary, and you might consider the Schmidt & Bender 4-12x50 with a Generation II illuminated mil-dot reticle (http://www.schmidtbender.com/). Hook up a 1907 sling from Turners (http://turnersling.com). Acquire some Federal Premium 175grain match ammo. The system will weigh between 10 and 12 pounds (a lot of that is the scope, which is industrial grade) and will do anything we have a right to ask a rifle to do, and will do it in very small groups. Now you must learn to shoot, and for that you may wish to contact the National Rifle Association (http://www.nra.org/) and inquire about their rifle programs. Clubs often have loaners you can use, under supervision, while on the range. Most of your rifle time will probably be on the range, rather than the field. You learn basic riflery on the range; you learn to use your rifle in the field. First one, then the other.

Notice that none of the kit is "vintage" except possibly for the 1907 sling, and even that should be a modern reproduction. Vintage is nice when you wish to make a statement. If you wish to do you best, however, you need to consider which items are employed by those you'll be measured against. When any gun / any sight matches are held, either at the range or in the field, the winners are not seen using antique, iron sighted rifles.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I agree with Cobden...I love my .303 SMLE, No, 1, Mk. III*. I have had no problem finding ammo for it, either surplus or factory loads. A terrific rifle...deadly accurate with very low recoil. It's no wonder that these rifles have such a distinguished service record with the British Empire over such a long period of time.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gary Crumrine said:
This is a grand question! The solution is a general purpose rifle, one that will do nothing supurbly but all things well. It would almost certainly have to be a bolt action .308. The Remington LTR comes to mind. Most of them are remarkably accurate, all of them are short and handy. A good scope will be necessary, and you might consider the Schmidt & Bender 4-12x50 with a Generation II illuminated mil-dot reticle (http://www.schmidtbender.com/). Hook up a 1907 sling from Turners (http://turnersling.com). Acquire some Federal Premium 175grain match ammo. The system will weigh between 10 and 12 pounds (a lot of that is the scope, which is industrial grade) and will do anything we have a right to ask a rifle to do, and will do it in very small groups. Now you must learn to shoot, and for that you may wish to contact the National Rifle Association (http://www.nra.org/) and inquire about their rifle programs. Clubs often have loaners you can use, under supervision, while on the range. Most of your rifle time will probably be on the range, rather than the field. You learn basic riflery on the range; you learn to use your rifle in the field. First one, then the other.

Notice that none of the kit is "vintage" except possibly for the 1907 sling, and even that should be a modern reproduction. Vintage is nice when you wish to make a statement. If you wish to do you best, however, you need to consider which items are employed by those you'll be measured against. When any gun / any sight matches are held, either at the range or in the field, the winners are not seen using antique, iron sighted rifles.

Great set-up for the .308. Those guns can be a lot of fun. You can really trick them out like a Police sniper rifle.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Find a friend or a range that will let you shoot a bunch of different guns. The best gun for you is the one that you like.

Now, if I could only have one old rifle, I'd keep my Mosin-Nagant M38, because it was my first gun.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Good point Feng Li. If you try some different firearms, you'll discover which one suits you best. What I really like about the NEF gun I recommended earlier is that it gives me the option of having each of the firearms that suit me best (without having to purchase several separate guns).

Doug C

Practically Family
Wow, had no idea I'd get so many great suggestions :eusa_clap . I've read through this thread several times and will research every option for price and availability. Besides the Garand option that one of you posted a link to for purchase, are there any other places to check for used guns, or (i guess) would it be better to find a local dealer? BTW, firearms aren't sold on ebay? I only see parts when I search.

Doug C

Mike K.

One Too Many
Correct. You cannot sell firearms on eBay.
Most localities have periodic gun shows. You can often find very interesting items and decent prices, but of course buyer beware. I prefer working with a local firearms dealer, especially for any used guns, since an expert can inspect them for you. Some shops might even have a range available for you to test the different rifles that you are considering.
Best of luck...I hope you find a nice rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ