Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you put on a hat, you’ve changed everything.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mimi Weddell, who starting in her mid-60s breezily cut a swath as a model, actress and style setter and whose flamboyant headwear figured prominently in “Hats Off,” a 2008 documentary about her life said, "Hats give you a frame. However dreary you feel, if you put on a hat, by golly, you’ve changed everything. If you don’t wear a hat, you’re missing it.”

Do you have an article of clothing, an accoutrement or accessory that you use without which you feel incomplete? Or one that changes your mood when worn or used??

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Many years ago a friend used a phrase that I have adopted.
We were heading out from work for lunch and he had forgotten his sun glasses. He went back and got them and said "Never go anywhere without your image".

Now it was a joke but it has stuck with me.

A few weeks ago I was at a gallery opening for some of my art. I usually wear a fedora to such events. This time I did not. Some people didnt recognize me. My wife says "You need to wear your fedora to these from now on".

So I say "Yeah, never go anywhere without your image!"

Carlisle Blues

I agree it is more about style than anything else. Whether it is sunglasses, a hat, boots or anything else your style is your calling card. And like fingerprints, style, is as individual and unique.

When I do not have "that" item, whatever it may be, I do feel as if something is missing or askew; something is out of balance, just not right.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
BigSleep, that reminds me of a story about the famous gunmaker John M. Browning. He always wore a "distinctly worn" brown fedora. He had invented a new gun which was going into production for the military, one of the 30 cal machine guns used in ww2 if I remember correctly. He was invited to a large gathering and demonstration, at which time he was to be photographed for several newspapers. Mrs. Browning convinced him to buy a new hat for the occasion. When he showed up, several people were rather upset that he wasn't wearing his trademark brown hat.

In northern Utah, there is a Browning gun museum in Ogden (Browning's home town). I read that story several years ago when I visited that museum.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I have two rings that I have worn consistenly since I was about 18: my high school class ring, and a turquoise and mother-of-pearl ring that my sister gave me from New Mexico. Over the years, I have not felt myself unless I was wearing at least one of them. About three months ago, one of my cats knocked the turquoise ring (which had been lying on a fixture while I was showering) into some small containers. I still haven't found it, but at least I've got my class ring.:) The only times I had previously removed both for an extended period was when I went to Basic Training, and the last time I went overseas. In addition, my "trademark" at school is a necktie (vintage, of course). On those rare days when I don't wear a neck noose (like today), I do feel a bit odd, and sometimes the students, as well as other teachers, will comment on my "casual" attire.

Edward

Bartender
For me, it's all about the accoutrements - rings, correspondants, the tie, pocket square, hat and long overcoat (delete according to season!). What tops it all off for me on the way out the door is throwing on a fedora, or a homberg, a newsboy or whatever at a suitable jaunty angle. Funnily enough, while I do have three straws that I wear regularly all Summer, none of them feel quite 'me' in the way a good furfelt fedora does. Other people notice that hat, though from mid March through September, what gets noticed often ahead of the hat is the pair of correspondents I might be wearing at any paeticular time. I have seven pairs, or thereabouts, and save for formal wear I don't wear any other "dress" shoe for those months. They've definitely become something of a trademark around faculty. One of my favourite times of year to dress is just at the beginning of correspondent season, when it's time for the shoes but still cool enough to wear at least a trench coat - I'm a real sucker for the long coat/ fedora silhoette.

Djupis

One of the Regulars
Ethan Bentley said:
A watch for certain, wrist or pocket, it just doesn't feel right without one. even though I have one on my phone.

I overslept today and forgot to put on my wrist watch. It felt really weird and I've lost track of how many times I thought I'd lost it today :eusa_doh:

Carlisle Blues

This time of year

IMG_0643_edited-1.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
One of my favourite times of year to dress is just at the beginning of correspondent season, when it's time for the shoes but still cool enough to wear at least a trench coat - I'm a real sucker for the long coat/ fedora silhoette.
I love that silhouette too. :) I like it that I'll get a chance to go for that look more now that it's getting cooler, alternating with my woolen greatcoat when I want to be more intimidating. A trench coat is so versatile - I've worn one in +15C when it's pouring with rain, and in -10C when it's snowing and I've always felt comfortable. It also goes with anything, be it jeans, flannels or a smart suit.

I never go outside without my hat (outside of school which to me is an exception for all usual rules). It's always a fur felt fedora even in summer.

I rarely step out of the house without my pants.

I know, I know ... 10,000 comedians out of work and y'all get this clown.

The biggest part of what makes an item of attire "an image" (as BigSleep alluded) or a calling card or signature item or whatever you wanna call it is that is IS unusual. If many or most men typically wore a "proper" hat, or Western boots, or shades, or whatever, it would no longer be distinguishing.

As a few here have noted, though, there are those common items (ties, jewelry, etc.) that, depending on a guy's choices, can still set him apart.

I recall some mention of how the kids who attend school in uniform still figure out ways to distinguish themselves.

It's that lovely tension, you know ... balancing the need (and desire) to fit in and get along with the desire (and need) to get the right sort of attention. A signature item for one person might come across as a costume on the next.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
I recall some mention of how the kids who attend school in uniform still figure out ways to distinguish themselves.
I do that. My uniform is a plain navy suit, so I wear a white pocket square with it. It's my "trademark" but it's by no means too attention-seeking. I also carry a briefcase rather than a rucksack and in winter I wear a long dark grey great coat (the uniform permits black coats to be worn and mine is nearly black).

Geesie

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
I agree it is more about style than anything else. Whether it is sunglasses, a hat, boots or anything else your style is your calling card. And like fingerprints, style, is as individual and unique.

When I do not have "that" item, whatever it may be, I do feel as if something is missing or askew; something is out of balance, just not right.

People have come to associate me with wearing bow ties, even though I only wear them about 50% of my tie-wearing time.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
People...

...make different associations. Some (most) associate with the hat. Some go for the argyle socks. Some like the Friday bowties. Some go for the watches, sportcoat, pocket square, what have you.

I find it interesting. It tells me a little something about the person.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:

Speaking of uniforms, even in the armed forces, where uniformity is the rule, one can sometimes see a tiny bit of variety on fatigues/duty uniforms. Blousing or un-blousing of trousers is one, as well type of boots worn (although the latter is harder to achieve due to the demise of leather and "jungle" boots). Removing the lower pockets on the blouse, and transfering them onto the sleeves, was another way. Some servicemen/women have their names embroidered in Arabic or Korean above the name plate on their fatigue shirts, contrary to regulation, of course. And yet another way some GIs "distinguish" themselves, is to wear their boonies turned up in the front...until some Sergeant Major sets them straight. Sorry for being somewhat :eek:fftopic: .

Carlisle Blues

Widebrim said:
Speaking of uniforms, even in the armed forces, where uniformity is the rule, one can sometimes see a tiny bit of variety on fatigues/duty uniforms. Blousing or un-blousing of trousers is one, as well type of boots worn (although the latter is harder to achieve due to the demise of leather and "jungle" boots). Removing the lower pockets on the blouse, and transfering them onto the sleeves, was another way. Some servicemen/women have their names embroidered in Arabic or Korean above the name plate on their fatigue shirts, contrary to regulation, of course. And yet another way some GIs "distinguish" themselves, is to wear their boonies turned up in the front...until some Sergeant Major sets them straight. Sorry for being somewhat :eek:fftopic: .

Gotta love jump Boots....:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points