Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Illustration, Old and... New?

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
I just ran across an online museum exhibit that I thought would be of interest here. It's a retrospective on the work of an illustrator named Arthur Radebaugh, whose illustrations were used in magazines and newspapers from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Although the reason for current interest in Radebaugh is his view of the future, i.e., present day, the illustrations and photos in this exhibit tell us even more about the aesthetics of The Golden Era. Check out the clothing, cars, architecture, and graphic design elements at http://www.palaceofculture.org/radebaugh.html

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting this! In our era where everything is Photoshopped to death and reduced to little more than a five-finger exercise in cut-rate, clip art pseudo-creativity, this exhibit will give some fascinating insights into the work of a nearly-forgotten American illustrator.

Staggerly

New in Town
Gorgeous. And I'd love to have been able to sit in on the meeting where the Coca-Cola people first saw that ad! It looks to me like they bought themselves a great big middle finger.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I work at a museum dedicated to American Illustration (www.americanillustration.org) from that era. I'm surrounded by a variety of illustration art all day, but I've never seen anything quite like Arthur Radebaugh's work. After looking over that site, I'm really impressed.:eusa_clap I'm going to have to ask the director why we don't have him represented in the collection. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ