Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm About to Order a Bill Kelso A2, Some Handholding Please Regarding Fit

For 1k I'd expect the jacket to be tailor-made for me [huh]
Spend less on an off the rack jacket. That's more legit IMHO.Or, find one in your size from one of the big makers used. A totally customized WWII era jacket is not a real representation of what a serviceman got. We're just in an era of being a little spoiled by the likes of Aero, GW, BK, etc.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I just measured my BK House A-2, size 40. The chest is 22-inches and the waist just above the knits is 19-inches w/o the knits being stretched at all, so 19-inches is the smallest waist measurement you're going to get in a size 40 BK House A-2. Andy told me that the size 38 has a 21-inch chest, so I'll assume that the waist measurement of that is 18-inches at the smallest. My point is: even if you get a size 38, the waist is going to be 36-inches around, whether you have a 29-inch waist or a 34-inch waist.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Spend less on an off the rack jacket. That's more legit IMHO.Or, find one in your size from one of the big makers used.

A-2s won't fit me. I'm out of size with most of the makers. I talked to GW and he told me he can do an A-2 jacket for me but we didn't discuss tapering. I suspect he's not going to like it :D

Right now I have to stick to G1s.

A totally customized WWII era jacket is not a real representation of what a serviceman got.

I don't care about this anymore lol I have enough trouble finding a jacket that fits my shoulders.

A-2s won't fit me. I'm out of size with most of the makers. I talked to GW and he told me he can do an A-2 jacket for me but we didn't discuss tapering. I suspect he's not going to like it :DRight now I have to stick to G1s. I don't care about this anymore lol I have enough trouble finding a jacket that fits my shoulders.
I will be too. I'm sure he can do something. Otherwise, I need to look at other options. M-422/ G-1 is not out of the question. But I'm going to try for the A-2.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I personally am not looking for any V-shape or worried about whether it billows a bit above the bottom knit. I'm just looking for general overall trimness. I already have a roomy A2 I got on ebay. It's an unused Gibson and Barnes Civil A2 in size 40. It's too big, but it was only $129 and it came with a zip-out thinsuate liner (body and sleeves). It's not that too big with the liner in and it's really really really warm. So I'm just going to keep it for those few truly cold days around here.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I had a G&B F-82 (a hybrid military jacket with hand pockets) with a zip out thinsulate liner. It was a labeled a size 40 MTM and was really warm. I wore it in Chicago in 10 degree weather and was warm as could be.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Bill Kelso does one of the Aero contracts too. I only have their size 48 dimensions and it is gigantic right under the armpits, 26".

Bill Kelso does one of the Aero contracts too. I only have their size 48 dimensions and it is gigantic right under the armpits, 26".
But that's normal. Add ~4" to your jacket size and divide by two. It's the cut that matters more. Early war jackets fit slimmer. By design.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
But that's normal. Add ~4" to your jacket size and divide by two. It's the cut that matters more. Early war jackets fit slimmer. By design.

Well, maybe it is normal but my shoulders fit tight in this BK 48 and then it is gigantic under armpits for me! ;)

Can a taylor taper 3-4 inches of jacket?

Well, maybe it is normal but my shoulders fit tight in this BK 48 and then it is gigantic under armpits for me! ;) Can a taylor taper 3-4 inches of jacket?
. Dunno. Depends on their skills I'd wager. Your body is not "normal" in the sense that they don't make jackets for that build. The generic "male" isn't built like that these days. The "mall fit” is a safer bet for makers. Talk to JC at Good Wear. If your build is due to working out, you can only expect so much out of clothing. Hulkwear is going to be hard to find, especially in off the rack.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR