Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm horrified.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
While surfing the web for hat stuff, I ran across a website dedicated to vintage fedoras, which shall remain nameless. It had a section on "Ideas for used vintage fedoras." Here is their list of suggestions:

1. Place the gift for your recipient inside the hat, turned upside down of course, and present as is. If the gift is a food item, wrap in plastic wrap first.

2. Place a potted plant inside the hat to use as decoration.

3. Hot glue the rim of the hat onto a hat box for a really neat look. Use as decoration and as hat storage.

4. Use as a table centerpiece. Place flowers, potpourri or whatever you'd like inside.

5. Place candy inside the hat and set on your hallway or coffee table.

6. Simply hang 6 or 9 hats in a box shape over your bed or other wall as artwork. You can also nail them to a piece of wood as your headboard.

Really?!? Nail them to a piece of wood?!? Hot glue?!? :eek:

59Lark

Practically Family
tacky treasures converters.

I restore antique sewing machines , treadles sewing machilne and have seen people burn and chop them up to make hall stands, wet bars and tv tables and not only rough ones but mint rare ones, so someone encouraging such terrible acts doesnt not surprise 59LARK:eek:fftopic:

Musashi

One of the Regulars
While the destruction isn't funny... the parallel to what we do to modern objects that are 'old' but not yet considered vintage is amusing... For example.. I am a mac user (please don't stone me) And its common practice to turn old (vintage!) macs and imacs into Fishtanks.... Though i guess in all fairness those usually dont WORK anymore.. A fedora 'Works' until its motheaten and destroyed physically.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
There's one use for a used vintage fedora that they forgot: Wear them.

I guess, as a practical matter, we can't keep every old item we have, waiting for the day that they become vintage. We'd all be hoarders if we did. Still, their list of suggestions seemed a bit harsh.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Musashi said:
For example.. I am a mac user (please don't stone me)

Ok, I was just going outside to grab some rocks... then I read you plea at the end. ;) The iMac I owned was good for little more than fishbowl conversion from day one. [huh]

Wow, I can't believe anyone would do any of the described things with hats. :eusa_doh:

Randy

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Copy and paste the quote into google. Although you probably be in a better mental state if you don't. The site is horrendous. It's heart-wrenching to anyone who knows anything about fedoras. :(

--flute

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Well, sounds like a home decorator site...

One of my favorite hats was free, does that mean it should be retired as a pot. I think not!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's one of those ubiquitous sites whose sole purpose is to look like a legitimate site full of useful information, but in fact all it does is funnel searchers to eBay auctions. I've never figured out the business model of these types of site, i.e., how they make money, but they're plentiful. If you read through all the information, you'll realize the designer knows very little about hats beyond what the average person might know. It's a case of where a little bit of knowledge in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing.lol

Brad

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Musashi said:
While the destruction isn't funny... the parallel to what we do to modern objects that are 'old' but not yet considered vintage is amusing... For example.. I am a mac user (please don't stone me) And its common practice to turn old (vintage!) macs and imacs into Fishtanks.... Though i guess in all fairness those usually dont WORK anymore.. A fedora 'Works' until its motheaten and destroyed physically.

I remember hearing about those. It does seem to be common practice to take vintage things and modify them, or take them to the verge of destruction to create something different. I'm always an advocate for uniqueness...still, the idea of torturing a hat with nails or hot glue is just sad! Surely hanging them around for decoration (even if you never wear them) is better than destroying them!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
It's one of those ubiquitous sites whose sole purpose is to look like a legitimate site full of useful information, but in fact all it does is funnel searchers to eBay auctions. I've never figured out the business model of these types of site, i.e., how they make money, but they're plentiful. If you read through all the information, you'll realize the designer knows very little about hats beyond what the average person might know. It's a case of where a little bit of knowledge in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing.lol

Brad
Having spent only a few minutes looking at the site I have to agree.

I fail to see why a used fedora has to be used in a way which will damage it. They can be used for decorational purposes by all means, but surely they could just be hung up rather than nailed onto a wooden board.

galopede

One of the Regulars
Worse than a hat!

A fiddler friend of mine has a lovely old English fiddle, about 150 years old, which he bought from a pub landlord who was renovating the bar. It was NAILED to the wall!

Took some work but it's nicely set up now. Saved!

I'm a button squeezebox player myself and have seen piano accordions nailed to walls as well, but some would say that's an improvement...

Gareth

I know of someone who dismantles old typewriters to convert their keys to cufflinks, bracelets, etc. I don't entirely approve, but I keep it to myself. My objections wouldn't change a thing anyway.

And then there are the people who cut up old magazines to sell the ads by the each on eBay. And those who take apart old books to sell the color plates. What can you say?[huh] It's their stuff to do with as they will. And I admit to actually owning a pair of those cufflinks. I mean, they are pretty cool.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Every day, in all parts of the world, valuable and precious items are being destroyed, damaged, and altered from their original states to satisfy the whims of a select, ignorant group of people. They foolishly break down things better left in their original state, purely to make a buck. I have seen antique coins with holes drilled through them to make charms, and any number of other travesties to make a collector cringe. Sadly, there is nothing we can really do to stop this, except spread our message to preserve and protect the important pieces of history we so enjoy wearing. And occasionally, I even have reservations to wearing my vintage hats in public, for fear of exposing them to the elements. But what is the point of having a hat, if it cannot be worn? So, no matter what, there are those who spread these lies to even more ignorant consumers, telling them to destroy precious hats for decorations. I suppose we can only be thankful we have this wonderful community to spread the message, and salvage what we can. Just my $0.02 on the issue.

--flute

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
I know of someone who dismantles old typewriters to convert their keys to cufflinks, bracelets, etc. I don't entirely approve, but I keep it to myself. My objections wouldn't change a thing anyway.

And then there are the people who cut up old magazines to sell the ads by the each on eBay. And those who take apart old books to sell the color plates. What can you say?[huh] It's their stuff to do with as they will. And I admit to actually owning a pair of those cufflinks. I mean, they are pretty cool.

And I collect the ads, so I'm implicitly condoning that practice.

Brad

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
As much as I stand by what I said, I don't really care about the typewriters. So, if you can get me a pair... Just don't mess with my Borsalino. :D

--flute

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21