Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm looking for a pair of boots

TLW '90

Practically Family
About a year and a half ago I discovered my dream boots, the W.C Russell plantation series birdshooters.
As an everyday general purpose boot they'd be perfect and they just look so damm cool.
PSBird_shooter__37468.1481922968.jpg

They were more than I'd really want to spend on a pair of boots but I figured I'd eventually make it happen.
Apparently the company changed hands recently and they now seem to be put of production.

I just discovered the Redwing 3336 Wacouta weekender a couple weeks ago and they captured the spirit of these fairly well, they're not really the same but they seemed to be a suitable substitute for the unattainable.
27-01-2020_redwing_3336wacoutaboot_briaroilslickolive_3336_mb_2.jpg

Sadly it seems they were recently discontinued.
They've still got a 7.5d available on their site, but I generally find myself needing to size down from a 7 to a 6.5d in boots.
I can still find the 3335 available some places, but the canvas is a khaki-ish color that I don't like.

GOKEY makes something along these lines but the smallest size they make is an 8d.

Is there maybe another American boot manufacturer doing a similar boot at a reasonable-ish ( ideally under $500 ) that I'm unaware of ?

About a year and a half ago I discovered my dream boots, the W.C Russell plantation series birdshooters.
As an everyday general purpose boot they'd be perfect and they just look so damm cool.
View attachment 526732
They were more than I'd really want to spend on a pair of boots but I figured I'd eventually make it happen.
Apparently the company changed hands recently and they now seem to be put of production.

I just discovered the Redwing 3336 Wacouta weekender a couple weeks ago and they captured the spirit of these fairly well, they're not really the same but they seemed to be a suitable substitute for the unattainable.
View attachment 526735
They've still got a 7.5d available on their site, but I generally find myself needing to size down from a 7 to a 6.5d in boots.
I can still find the 3335 available some places, but the canvas is a khaki-ish color that I don't like.

GOKEY makes something along these lines but the smallest size they make is an 8d.

Is there maybe another American boot manufacturer doing a similar boot at a reasonable-ish ( ideally under $500 ) that I'm unaware of ?
Different toe box but if you want a great pair of boots with suede inserts check out danner.com. Top quality, US made well under $500

TLW '90

Practically Family
The OD canvas panel is the key here, without that I might as well just get any moc toe boots.

hardlyworkingman

Familiar Face
filson used to make very similar version a few years ago. google 'Filson Sebago' or 'Filson x Wolverine'. you could probably find quiet a few on ebay. they are all leather + tin cloth.

there is a slightly different design available on filson website [newer model i think]

DanielPetmr

New in Town
View attachment 526732

View attachment 526735

Is there maybe another American boot manufacturer doing a similar boot at a reasonable-ish ( ideally under $500 ) that I'm unaware of ? https://apkcreaters.com
Just a note on the lone peaks I have a pair of 5’s and yes they are great there are two cons one of which is the dealbreaker why I haven’t got the 6’s (both have the same outsole compound). One is there is no gap in the sole lugs for a proper gaiter strap. The second is the soles are worn out after around 200 miles, altra are aware of this as a lot of people in America can’t understand why they don’t use vibram like on some of their other shoes. I’m doing the Hebridean way later this year and am planning on using the Topo terraventure 3, similar shoe not quite as low a drop with a gaiter loop on the front and the gap in the sole lugs for a gaiter strap and the important vibram sole. Since I switched from boots to trail runners I’ve never looked back but we all different it works for me might not for anyone else.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Thanks for the suggestions,I'll look into them.

The OD green panel is non negotiable, they must be a brown leather, and American made is an absolute must.
The moc toe is really what I'm after here, but I could go for a plain toe if the boots really speak to me and check all the other boxes.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Just a note on the lone peaks I have a pair of 5’s and yes they are great there are two cons one of which is the dealbreaker why I haven’t got the 6’s (both have the same outsole compound).
Are you sure you got the right thread ?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
filson used to make very similar version a few years ago. google 'Filson Sebago' or 'Filson x Wolverine'. you could probably find quiet a few on ebay. they are all leather + tin cloth.

there is a slightly different design available on filson website [newer model i think]
[/URL]
They look nice, but being Filson, of course they're asking $400 for what amounts to a pair of 'Nam era jungle boots.

Edward

Bartender
They look nice, but being Filson, of course they're asking $400 for what amounts to a pair of 'Nam era jungle boots.

That's a thing I learned very early on when I first started buying my own clothes: milspec stuff can - with careful selection - often be better / as good, at a fraction of the price. When I was 14, I would have bought as much of my wardrobe as possible in our local military surplus place. Probably did so for about six or seven years thereafter. In those days it was mostly German and US stuff (racks and racks of original, Nam era MA1s and M65s - wish I'd bought a dozen of each now, though at the time I never owned either), primarily 60s & 70s. These days I still buy a lot of carefully selected milspec for my civilian wardrobe, albeit WW2 era repop. The only downside is it's almost impossible to get the trews long enough for a cuff, but that's correct for wartime production civilian wear in this part of the world, and the cut is otherwise so good that it matters less. Certainly at the price!

The OD canvas panel is the key here,
Mark Nason made a line of brogue wingtip ankle boots with a rough out panel in brown or camo. Discontinued now, they do turn up NOS on eBay. The manufacturing is contracted out so they aren’t made in the USA. The uppers are leather; lowers are manmade materials so they are slow to break in. Not expensive so worth the money once you get them broken. I have a pair of the camo. They draw lots of comments & most people only notice the contrast, not necessarily that they are camo.

IMG_2779.jpeg

IMG_2777.jpeg
IMG_2778.jpeg

IMG_2780.jpeg

IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2783.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

Modified_last_call

Familiar Face
Here's a retailer with a better size selection of the Red Wing Weekender.
Prices are in Canadian dollars.
Looks like they have only sizes 9 and 11 left in stock

hardlyworkingman

Familiar Face
Thanks for the suggestions,I'll look into them.

The OD green panel is non negotiable, they must be a brown leather, and American made is an absolute must.
The moc toe is really what I'm after here, but I could go for a plain toe if the boots really speak to me and check all the other boxes.

another option, except it is in plain toe and checks off all the other boxes.

Angel

One of the Regulars
Pike Brothers and Wolverine.
I don't know the name anymore but I think the Wolverine are also dicontinued. Edit: Whitepine. But tan not OD
Sorry for the low quality pictures. Pike Brothers are made in Portugal.
20230626_213118.jpg
20230626_213207.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner