Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm sure it's in here somewhere.

MattJH

One Too Many
I've heard Lexol mentioned more than any other product or method.

lexol_banner2_products.jpg

Wil Tam

Practically Family
make sure you place some paper toweling around the inside of the sweat before you use any cleaning or conditioning product ... I like Lexol neatsfoots to soften up hard brittle leather, leave it on overnight then check pliability then repeat if necessary .. then condition it.

----------------
Now playing: Cake - Comfort Eagle
via FoxyTunes

CRH

Call Me a Cab
St.Ignatz said:
What do you use to revitalize a sweat band?

If it's leather it wants Obenauf's.

oil_16_framed.gif

I use the oil for furniture and garments and the "grease" for footwear. Apply with your fingers.

For a sweatband rub in a small amount of oil and wipe off. Need more? Repeat until you hear the hat say, "Ahhhh...".

The grease is not half bad on the knuckles actually for you gents that actually work for a living.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use Leatherique rejuvenator on all leather including hat sweatband, boots, fine leathr shoes, and vintage jackets. It is primary maketed to car buffs for leather seat covers

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Wil Tam said:
make sure you place some paper toweling around the inside of the sweat before you use any cleaning or conditioning product ... I like Lexol neatsfoots to soften up hard brittle leather, leave it on overnight then check pliability then repeat if necessary .. then condition it.

I tear off strips of aluminum foil, wider than the sweatband by a comfortable margin, and slip that behind the sweat. Then there's absolutely no possibility of getting anything on the lining or anything seeping through paper towels, etc.

You can even use a little conditioner on the underside of the sweat band (with great care and in moderation) if you do that. Not usually required, but I've done it with two hats that had leather in rather brittle condition.

I hear Lexol is great. A retired chemist friend that worked for the company that developed it confirms that it really is extraordinary. I've never had any. Have used mink oil (the real stuff without drying additives) in small doses and no problems thus far. You can heat the sweatband gently with a hair dryer to get it to absorb quicker. That's all I know!

- Bill

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I use Lexol. I have a question though, does grease from your hair dry out the sweat and cause it to crack? I would think the opposite.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
J.J. Gittes said:
I use Lexol. I have a question though, does grease from your hair dry out the sweat and cause it to crack? I would think the opposite.

no it's actually the salt in your sweat that does it plus age along with not properly caring for it ... that's why it is always good practice to wipe down your band at the end of the day or whenever you sweat too much, to minimize the wear

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Woodfluter said:
I tear off strips of aluminum foil, wider than the sweatband by a comfortable margin, and slip that behind the sweat. Then there's absolutely no possibility of getting anything on the lining or anything seeping through paper towels, etc.

You can even use a little conditioner on the underside of the sweat band (with great care and in moderation) if you do that. Not usually required, but I've done it with two hats that had leather in rather brittle condition.

I hear Lexol is great. A retired chemist friend that worked for the company that developed it confirms that it really is extraordinary. I've never had any. Have used mink oil (the real stuff without drying additives) in small doses and no problems thus far. You can heat the sweatband gently with a hair dryer to get it to absorb quicker. That's all I know!

- Bill

:eusa_clap great tip Bill, and awesome insight on the product!

thanks

pauljmuk

New in Town
quick question, kinda related!!

I'm currntly breaking in my first ever Akubra. Why the hell are the skin facing parts of sweats so polished and shiny?

Might be in my head, but I do think that seems (in my mind) to exacerbate the sweating? Certainly makes the sweat more noticeable.

Considering the world of sport headwear - why dont they leave sweats as a rougher suede / aborbent finish?:rolleyes:

pauljmuk

New in Town
yeah, sure, but....

a) plenty on hear about the best way to break / shrink a hat in is to give it a good sweat - surely WANTING the sweat to get in there

b) as an aussie bush hat wearer - of the classic mould - surely the cattleman is out there in high heat, high humidity and high action - are they really wiping brows that often?

This all sounds like form over function, and I thought class working style akubras based themselves on function over form?

Wil Tam

Practically Family
pauljmuk said:
yeah, sure, but....

a) plenty on hear about the best way to break / shrink a hat in is to give it a good sweat - surely WANTING the sweat to get in there

b) as an aussie bush hat wearer - of the classic mould - surely the cattleman is out there in high heat, high humidity and high action - are they really wiping brows that often?

This all sounds like form over function, and I thought class working style akubras based themselves on function over form?

too much sweat will = too much salt [salt + leather + moisture = shrinkage] you would want to be able to control that ... you kinda want your sweatband to last longer than a week ... if it was porous, it'll soak it up and you"ll have a hard time wiping it off

----------------
Now playing: Roxy Music - The Bogus Man
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ