I'm sure it's in here somewhere.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by St.Ignatz, Mar 14, 2009.

1. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

What do you use to revitalize a sweat band?

2. MattJH

MattJH One Too Many

I've heard Lexol mentioned more than any other product or method.

[​IMG]

3. RBH

RBH Bartender

I have used Lexol too.

4. Wil Tam

Wil Tam Practically Family

make sure you place some paper toweling around the inside of the sweat before you use any cleaning or conditioning product ... I like Lexol neatsfoots to soften up hard brittle leather, leave it on overnight then check pliability then repeat if necessary .. then condition it.

----------------
    Now playing: Cake - Comfort Eagle
    via FoxyTunes

5. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

Thanks all. BTW Matt nice Whippet you gave Oscar.

6. xigxag

xigxag New in Town

I use this :
    [​IMG]

Nice smell and not greasy.
    Buy it at a car detailing shop. Those guys have everything for leather care
    ;) .

7. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

If it's leather it wants Obenauf's.

[​IMG]

I use the oil for furniture and garments and the "grease" for footwear. Apply with your fingers.

For a sweatband rub in a small amount of oil and wipe off. Need more? Repeat until you hear the hat say, "Ahhhh...".

The grease is not half bad on the knuckles actually for you gents that actually work for a living.

8. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

I use Leatherique rejuvenator on all leather including hat sweatband, boots, fine leathr shoes, and vintage jackets. It is primary maketed to car buffs for leather seat covers

9. Woodfluter

Woodfluter Practically Family

I tear off strips of aluminum foil, wider than the sweatband by a comfortable margin, and slip that behind the sweat. Then there's absolutely no possibility of getting anything on the lining or anything seeping through paper towels, etc.

You can even use a little conditioner on the underside of the sweat band (with great care and in moderation) if you do that. Not usually required, but I've done it with two hats that had leather in rather brittle condition.

I hear Lexol is great. A retired chemist friend that worked for the company that developed it confirms that it really is extraordinary. I've never had any. Have used mink oil (the real stuff without drying additives) in small doses and no problems thus far. You can heat the sweatband gently with a hair dryer to get it to absorb quicker. That's all I know!

- Bill

10. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

I've been using Lexol too - the cleaner and conditioner are both quite good.

11. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Ive been using shea butter on my hands, and various leather products, including goatskin drum heads, for a long time. I suppose itd work on a leather sweat band, too.

12. J.J. Gittes

J.J. Gittes A-List Customer

I use Lexol. I have a question though, does grease from your hair dry out the sweat and cause it to crack? I would think the opposite.

13. Wil Tam

no it's actually the salt in your sweat that does it plus age along with not properly caring for it ... that's why it is always good practice to wipe down your band at the end of the day or whenever you sweat too much, to minimize the wear

14. Wil Tam

:eusa_clap great tip Bill, and awesome insight on the product!

thanks

15. pauljmuk

pauljmuk New in Town

quick question, kinda related!!

I'm currntly breaking in my first ever Akubra. Why the hell are the skin facing parts of sweats so polished and shiny?

Might be in my head, but I do think that seems (in my mind) to exacerbate the sweating? Certainly makes the sweat more noticeable.

Considering the world of sport headwear - why dont they leave sweats as a rougher suede / aborbent finish?:rolleyes:

16. St.Ignatz

St.Ignatz Call Me a Cab

A suede sweat would grab your brow and absorb your salts breaking down the leather. Shiney can be wiped after each wearing.

17. pauljmuk

pauljmuk New in Town

yeah, sure, but....

a) plenty on hear about the best way to break / shrink a hat in is to give it a good sweat - surely WANTING the sweat to get in there

b) as an aussie bush hat wearer - of the classic mould - surely the cattleman is out there in high heat, high humidity and high action - are they really wiping brows that often?

This all sounds like form over function, and I thought class working style akubras based themselves on function over form?

18. Wil Tam

too much sweat will = too much salt [salt + leather + moisture = shrinkage] you would want to be able to control that ... you kinda want your sweatband to last longer than a week ... if it was porous, it'll soak it up and you"ll have a hard time wiping it off

----------------
    Now playing: Roxy Music - The Bogus Man
    via FoxyTunes

19. Jabos

Jabos A-List Customer

What about Pecards? I love that stuff. Anyone use it on their sweatbands?