I'm sure it's simple . . .

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Oldsarge, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

I've purchased a "Indiana Jones" crushable that I want to recrown into the classic Safari. I did it once with a really cheap wool felt that a student gave me. He'd bought it at Disneyland. That one has gone on five safaris now and is getting worse for wear (and thorns, branches, buffalo hooves, etc.) I forget how I reshaped the first one. Doesn't one just soak it in really hot water, wring it out and then reshape to the desired then wear it until it's dry? And will it shrink a half size? "Large" is too small and "XL" is too loose. It's what I get for growing a "extra-long oval" head, I guess.''

Thanx,

Sarge
    Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

2. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

Bump

I need to know if I'm right. Don't want to completely trash a brand new hat, even if isn't a Borsolino. I need a new jungle hat.

3. Stoney

Stoney Practically Family

The simplest way to reshape the crown is to spritz it with cold water, not hot which will cause the crown to shrink. Then mold the hat to your liking and let it dry at room temp. Don't heat the felt or it will shrink and warp..really ugly results.

If the hat is too big just use some folded newspaper or craft foam cut to fit between the sweatband and the felt. You can shrink the sweatband , but it's risky if you have not done so before.

4. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy One Too Many

I myself like to re-bash with steam.
    I fire up the tea kettle, and when it whistles, remove the whistle spout and use the stream of steam on the hat body and work out the old bash. I go open crown first, and then set my preferred creases.
    Just my .02 though.
    Good luck!

5. J.T.Marcus

J.T.Marcus Call Me a Cab

I'm a "dunker," myself, but always in COLD WATER. :)

6. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

Thanx, gents. That's exactly the information I needed. Jambo!