Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm sure it's simple . . .

Oldsarge

One Too Many
I've purchased a "Indiana Jones" crushable that I want to recrown into the classic Safari. I did it once with a really cheap wool felt that a student gave me. He'd bought it at Disneyland. That one has gone on five safaris now and is getting worse for wear (and thorns, branches, buffalo hooves, etc.) I forget how I reshaped the first one. Doesn't one just soak it in really hot water, wring it out and then reshape to the desired then wear it until it's dry? And will it shrink a half size? "Large" is too small and "XL" is too loose. It's what I get for growing a "extra-long oval" head, I guess.''

Thanx,

Sarge
Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

Stoney

Practically Family
The simplest way to reshape the crown is to spritz it with cold water, not hot which will cause the crown to shrink. Then mold the hat to your liking and let it dry at room temp. Don't heat the felt or it will shrink and warp..really ugly results.

If the hat is too big just use some folded newspaper or craft foam cut to fit between the sweatband and the felt. You can shrink the sweatband , but it's risky if you have not done so before.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I myself like to re-bash with steam.
I fire up the tea kettle, and when it whistles, remove the whistle spout and use the stream of steam on the hat body and work out the old bash. I go open crown first, and then set my preferred creases.
Just my .02 though.
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch