Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Depth usage review -- Otto White's Vintage Line "packer"

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
This is a Boot review of the White's Otto Vintage Line "packer boots" that I purchased new in the spring of 2017. These were purchased from Willie's Shoe Services in Northfield, MN as I was traveling through the area. He is mostly a shoe repair shop, but also has a line of White's Boots in stock. So if anyone in the northern Midwest would like to try some on, his shop is a good place to start. There is not a website for his store.

These were a slight surprise for me, as a 10.5D size fit perfectly. I purchased these brand new and I started breaking them in as I walked out of the store to my truck. New purchase price was $350. That right there should tell you these are fairly unique White's.

While still labeled as White's these are much closer to a Hawthorn, or even Hawthorn Explorer in both price and construction. This is not a negative, it's just something be aware of. White's seems to have dropped the Hawthorn brand of late. Maybe someone with knowledge of this could clarify. Perhaps related to the ownership change.

Instead of Stitch-down construction, these are Goodyear Welted. The upper leathers are a fair bit thinner than most other White's I have owned. There is only single row stitching around the soles. There are a few rivets used in construction, instead of all stitching. The leather is softer and broke in much easier than most other boots I have owned. The arch support is present and accounted for, but it's medium arch (Farmer-Rancher type) instead of the High arch as the traditional Packer boot has.

Here is what they look like now, after a serious cleaning and oiling. Pardon the little bit of dried mud still on the soles...

DSC_0088.JPG

These boots have been oiled, at least somewhat regularly. This past year only 1-2 times. They have held up well however we are going to get into the nitty-gritty a bit here and evaluate just how well they have done.

First, let's get the laces and false tongues out of the way and give them a quick look over:
DSC_0085.JPG DSC_0086.JPG

As expected, these certainly have taken quite a bit of a beating in their "tongue" position. I really thought the backside was interesting, showing different patterns that are likely related to repeated wettings/drying of the boots. I like the stitching imprint in the backside too from the main boot.

Now let's look at the tongue area itself, this is pretty interesting to see how the boots are holding up:

DSC_0072.JPG
DSC_0071.JPG DSC_0070.JPG

Once cleaned up, this area exposes the highest "upper" area of load that the boot uppers should likely see. These look pretty good, they are intact, and there is some high wear in spots as evidenced by the impression of the backside of the hooks & eyes for lacing. One curious note are the unusual creases shown in the Right boot at the lower side. They do not seem to be affecting anything, however I will say this may be partially helped by the false tongues being in place all the time.

To be Continued in the next post.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Carrying on now as time permitted, here are some more general observations about this specific pair of boots since I started wearing them:
  • These Medium arch boots support my feet well all day, but are not great if on concrete all day (no real "padding" etc.)
  • The lack of any "foam filling" in the footbed actually gives a very solid, robust feel to these boots
  • The 8" height is nice for daily workwear, and not burdensome to put on/take off
  • I like pull-straps - some people prefer the cleaner look without them, I am a fan of these.
  • The weight of these boots - about 4.5 lbs for the pair, is manageable, especially if one has to walk a lot.
  • The "v-bar" Vibram sole is not good on snow - or especially ice.
  • If you are concerned about falling on ice - you need better soles for this type of duty than this.
  • The heel pads have word down a good bit, I may have to replace heel pads in the next year on these.
Here are the soles on these boot at their current wear state:
DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG
Showing the heel pads getting bit thin...

DSC_0083.JPG

The sole stitching and Goodyear welt details all seem intact. There are minor scuffs visible in the uppers, but nothing that affects the functionality of the boots themselves. These boots have seem farm yards, animal pens, walked through all types of mud, gravel, and even a few small river beds, and really do not show much for break-down and wear. They are not water-proof.

DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0073.JPG

The un-lined interior stays fairly cool in the summer, and the leather retains just enough heat in the cooler months to help keep your feet at least moderately warm for occasional outdoor use. I tend to be more concerned with keeping the feet moderately cool in the summer. As indicated earlier, these are just not great winter boots for snow & ice walking, so it's best to seek out a good insulated pair for winter use.

One other thing to point out is that they boots do not seem to pick up foot odor too rapidly. They no longer have a "fresh" leather smell, but they do not stink and are actually staying quite neutral of scent.

DSC_0067.JPG DSC_0082.JPG

Recommendations:
Consider buying a pair of these if you:
  • Would like a durable, but less-expensive way to try out White's boots
  • Need a good, lighter weight boot that still has a good arch support
  • Work routinely in farm yards, ride horses, and have found that pull-on boots just do not fit you well enough
  • Want a boot that can be dressed up or down, and supports well no matter the activity
Do Not consider these boots if you:
  • You have grown used to White's, Nicks or Wesco boots made of 7-8+ oz leather and expect the same heft & quality level
  • You routinely walk on ice, and snow
  • You need a fully water-proof boot
  • Do not like to break in new boots at all
  • You prefer a flat-footed boot
So I hope this has been helpful. I hope to do other reviews, and the next pair I plan to review in depth is a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers that are getting close to 9 years that I have owned them. Very different animal there. Thanks for reading!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Carrying on now as time permitted, here are some more general observations about this specific pair of boots since I started wearing them:
  • These Medium arch boots support my feet well all day, but are not great if on concrete all day (no real "padding" etc.)
  • The lack of any "foam filling" in the footbed actually gives a very solid, robust feel to these boots
  • The 8" height is nice for daily workwear, and not burdensome to put on/take off
  • I like pull-straps - some people prefer the cleaner look without them, I am a fan of these.
  • The weight of these boots - about 4.5 lbs for the pair, is manageable, especially if one has to walk a lot.
  • The "v-bar" Vibram sole is not good on snow - or especially ice.
  • If you are concerned about falling on ice - you need better soles for this type of duty than this.
  • The heel pads have word down a good bit, I may have to replace heel pads in the next year on these.
Here are the soles on these boot at their current wear state:
View attachment 357422

View attachment 357423
Showing the heel pads getting bit thin...

View attachment 357424

The sole stitching and Goodyear welt details all seem intact. There are minor scuffs visible in the uppers, but nothing that affects the functionality of the boots themselves. These boots have seem farm yards, animal pens, walked through all types of mud, gravel, and even a few small river beds, and really do not show much for break-down and wear. They are not water-proof.

View attachment 357425 View attachment 357426

The un-lined interior stays fairly cool in the summer, and the leather retains just enough heat in the cooler months to help keep your feet at least moderately warm for occasional outdoor use. I tend to be more concerned with keeping the feet moderately cool in the summer. As indicated earlier, these are just not great winter boots for snow & ice walking, so it's best to seek out a good insulated pair for winter use.

One other thing to point out is that they boots do not seem to pick up foot odor too rapidly. They no longer have a "fresh" leather smell, but they do not stink and are actually staying quite neutral of scent.

View attachment 357427 View attachment 357428

Recommendations:
Consider buying a pair of these if you:
  • Would like a durable, but less-expensive way to try out White's boots
  • Need a good, lighter weight boot that still has a good arch support
  • Work routinely in farm yards, ride horses, and have found that pull-on boots just do not fit you well enough
  • Want a boot that can be dressed up or down, and supports well no matter the activity
Do Not consider these boots if you:
  • You have grown used to White's, Nicks or Wesco boots made of 7-8+ oz leather and expect the same heft & quality level
  • You routinely walk on ice, and snow
  • You need a fully water-proof boot
  • Do not like to break in new boots at all
  • You prefer a flat-footed boot
So I hope this has been helpful. I hope to do other reviews, and the next pair I plan to review in depth is a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers that are getting close to 9 years that I have owned them. Very different animal there. Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the detailed review. I enjoyed reading your reflections on the White's Otto Vintage Line. I will have to make time to visit Willie's Shoe Services in Northfield, MN.

Cheers, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points