Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of the cheap wool crusher!

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Okay, this will sound crazy, but this is to say how useful these cheap and plain hats are. I've got two that are my everyday work hats. I bought them on sale at Rural King [ a chain of farm supply stores] and they see use and abuse everyday. They are not as nice as a Stetson or Borsalino, but when a hat gets Scotch-guarded, rained and snowed on, dropped, banged up in cars and fights [I'm a parole Agent] these are my go-to hats. I get kidded about the Harley badge on one, because I don't have a Harley, but for $8 this hat has been the best investment I have ever made. Who else is the proud owner and user of some of these humble workhorses?

Wore them for years hiking with my son's BSA troop. Wouldn't do what I did to them to a decent felt hat ever.
Still have 1 in the beater stack & an official BSA wool crusher that I wear to District meetings.
Be Prepared....

TOuten2

Familiar Face
I have a Bailey Briar wool felt. Mostly because as my interest in fedoras blossomed, I experimented with different brim sizes to figure out what worked and what didn't. The Briar is one that worked, and has become my cool weather yard hat. I also have a Jaxon Ford crusher wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko