Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In search of a newsboy / 8 panel cap with a younger look

JLStorm

Practically Family
I love hats, but have tried on pretty much every style and fit of hat and I simply do not look good at all in hats other than baseball caps (of which I have at least 40) or a russian trooper hat. However, I would like a hat that is more grown up than a baseball hat a d not as warm as a russian trooper hat. I have decided that while nothing will look as good on my either of these, an 8 panel newsboy / gatsby cap would probably work for welll enough. The problem is that Im a young guy and want a hat that doesnt look like it was my grandfathers, not that there is anything wrong with that look, but Im just not ready for it yet.

I was thinking maybe a patchwork type hat or something with a unique design or updated plaid would work. The problem is that I simply cannot find anything online. I live in a small town where these hats are not sold and I dont have any fabric stores nearby to find a pattern that I could supply either. Does anyone have any ideas that might work for me for under $60.00 USD?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently got this one by Perry Ellis on Ebay brand new for about $12.
0849_1.JPG

It fits like these:
DSC06144.jpg

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Are you looking for a newsboy with a full cut, or a not so full cut? It all depends on your face shape and your personal preference, really. If you already know which type of cut works better for you, that can help narrow in your focus.

Hat People might be a good idea. Also, b! Wear (http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear/) is a good choice. I've heard that if you're looking for something other than full cut, Brett at b! Wear can modify the cut to your preference.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

JLStorm said:
The problem is that Im a young guy and want a hat that doesnt look like it was my grandfathers, not that there is anything wrong with that look, but Im just not ready for it yet.

Did your grandfather have bad taste?

If he was half as cool looking as this guy you should be all over it:

20080324_clooney_33.jpg

;)

JLStorm

Practically Family
Here are the caps I have seen online that are of interest, I would appreciate your opinion of comfort, style, and quality if possible.

New York Hat Co. - Distressed leather - I like this one, but I dont know anything about the company

nyhbrando-300.jpg

New Era EK - Plaid - I like this one a lot, but I am not sure I like the idea of a snap in the front

plaid-eight-quarter-cap-new-era-original_black_plaid-3.jpg

Goorin Minna - Satin Doll Not an eight panel and probably not quite appropirate for more places, but very cool looking

goorinsatindoll1-300.jpg

B!Wear - Newsboy I like the looks of these hats and have heard great things about the company, but the photos are just too small and lack enough detail for me to really evaluate whether or not I like the entire hat; this is especially true with the patchwork hat.
brnherri.jpg
graydiag.jpg
patchwork.jpg

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

The leather one looks fine....but I don't care for leather hats. If that works for you, it looks decent.

plaid-eight-quarter-cap-new-era-original_black_plaid-3.jpg

Snaps are fine and that is an interesting fabric. One of my favorite caps I bought from a street vendor in Covent Garden in London has a snap.

goorinsatindoll1-300.jpg

Don't wear this unless you are a pimp.

brnherri.jpg
graydiag.jpg
patchwork.jpg

B! Wear makes a great cap. The patch isn't for me but it might be for you. I have #10.

MK_oct08.jpg

bwear4.jpg

bwear5.jpg

I hope this helps.

Enjoy!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I have a couple of NY Hat Co. newsboys, and I like them pretty well. Personally, I don't think they're as nice a quality as b! Wear, but the shorter cut of the NY Hat Co. wool newsboy I have fits me better than the larger cut b! wear.

Here is my NY Hat co. newsboy. Not the best picture, but hopefully you get the idea.

Picture15.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
It came to me in the middle of the night. I think what I want to do, if it can be done is to turn and old heavy flannel shirt into a newsboy. The shirt has a lot of meaning to me, I love the material, and being a men's L/XL it doesnt fit anymore.

I'll have to see if its enough fabric and if it can be done.

Feraud

Bartender
JLStorm said:
It came to me in the middle of the night. I think what I want to do, if it can be done is to turn and old heavy flannel shirt into a newsboy. The shirt has a lot of meaning to me, I love the material, and being a men's L/XL it doesnt fit anymore.

That is a good idea. I have toyed around with the idea of making a cap with particular specs in mind.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
JLStorm said:

Now there's an interesting idea! It's possible that bWear or Hat People might be willing if you lack the skills yourself. What can they say? No? [huh]

Failing that, the New Era plaid photo you posted looks promising. If you don't like the snap, send the photo to a few other vendor to see if they have a similar or the same fabric. It can't hurt.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I talked to Brett at B!wear and he is having me send him the shirt. The shirt is a nice velvet blue flannel color that was handed down to me by my father, but no longer fits. Its a perfect color and Im asking Brett if he could incorporate some of the stitching of the shirt into the hat (its a neat yellow stitching like denim Jeans have). This will be a much more casual cap, something I would wear with jeans, but will look a bit more appropriate than a ball cap in many instances.

So we will see what Brett comes up with, he cant promise anything until he sees the shirt, but I will be sending it out to him tomorrow.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
JLStorm said:
I talked to Brett at B!wear and he is having me send him the shirt. The shirt is a nice velvet blue flannel color that was handed down to me by my father, but no longer fits. Its a perfect color and Im asking Brett if he could incorporate some of the stitching of the shirt into the hat (its a neat yellow stitching like denim Jeans have). This will be a much more casual cap, something I would wear with jeans, but will look a bit more appropriate than a ball cap in many instances.

So we will see what Brett comes up with, he cant promise anything until he sees the shirt, but I will be sending it out to him tomorrow.

Sounds like a good plan. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress and the end result.

JLStorm

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:
Sounds like a good plan. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress and the end result.

Will do. I'll let you guys know what Brett says. I'll also take a photo of the shirt before I mail it out.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Some photos of the shirt

Here is a close-up of the label of the shirt, I would love if this could be put in the liner somehow, but I doubt it is possible (the color looks darker in person):

img029.jpg

This is exactly the color of the shirt in person:

img032.jpg

Here are two photos of the whole shirt, but the room was dark and they didnt come out very well:

img030.jpg

img031.jpg

JLStorm

Practically Family
Brett emailed me today and let me know that the shirt material will work as a hat. I cant wait to see what he comes up with :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou