Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the spirit of the Queen Mary...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
What are your favorite films involving Ocean Liners?

Mine are definately Now Voyager, from 1942, starring Bette Davis, Claude Rains, and Paul Henried. Her wardrobe is immaculate, the acting superb, and the cinemetography seems very ahead of it's time. One quote in particular said by her mother:
"Could we try to remember that we're hardly commercial travelers? It's bad enough to have to associate with these tourists on board." Which prompts Charlotte (Bette Davis) to branch out and see the sites.
Now-Voyager-Poster-C10126056.jpeg

99214l.jpg

nowvoya.jpg

sjff_01_img0356.jpg

Then, of course, there is Shall We Dance with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, 1937, which has the scene with Fred Dancing in a very cleaned up Art Deco-ified steam room of the ship, the famous roller skating number, and another dance number with one of my favorite dresses in classic film:
shall-we-dance-poster-242x368.jpg

fredshallwedance.jpg

shall_we_dance2.jpg

What are yours?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A couple stand out for me -- "One Way Passage" (WB, 1932), with William Powell and Kay Francis. A seriously tear-jerking love story about a woman with a fatal disease meeting and falling in love with an escaped death-row prisoner on an ocean voyage. It's tough to come up with a more tear-jerking plot than that...

And speaking of the Marx Brothers, don't forget "Monkey Business" (Paramount, 1931), in which the Brothers stow away in herring barrels in the hold of an ocean liner -- and then proceed to wreak havoc on the ship just because they can.

Haversack

One Too Many
The first half of Preston Sturges's _The Lady Eve_. Barabara Stanwyck says of Henry Fonda: "I need him like the axe needs the turkey."

The next are not ocean liners per se:

_Across the Pacific_ Bogart and Astor as passengers on a Japanese Freighter in late November 1941.

_Death on the Nile_ "I have never seen such a large snake in a first class passenger cabin!"

Haversack.

shindeco

A-List Customer
It's not a movie but one episode of the "Poirot" series (The Million Dollar Bond Robbery) is set on the maiden voyage of the Queen Mary. It has some great original stock footage of the ship sailing in and out of harbour.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Lauren said:
Then, of course, there is Shall We Dance with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, 1937, which has the scene with Fred Dancing in a very cleaned up Art Deco-ified steam room of the ship, the famous roller skating number, and another dance number with one of my favorite dresses in classic film:
shall-we-dance-poster-242x368.jpg

"Are you still pining over that girl?"

"Pine? Men don't pine. Women pine. Men suffer."

...brother, ain't it the truth...

manton

A-List Customer
How about the cheesiest ocean liner movie? The French Line, with Jane Russell. Runner up, The Last Voyage. In the latter, the Ile de France was actually destroyed. CGT sold her to a Japanese scrap yard who in turn leased her to MGM who blew her up as a prop. CGT was so pissed they sued.

Top 3 for me:

#1 "The Big Broadcast of 1938" Bob Hope sings "Thanks for the Memories" for the first time. WC Fields is excellent as the ocean liner owning competing brothers.

#2 "A Night to Remember" The sinking of the Titannic, really good film.

#3 "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" Debbie Reynolds at her best.
:eusa_clap

Michaelson

One Too Many
A Royal Wedding - Fred Astaire.

Who can forget the dance sequence shot on the dance floor of a heavily rolling ship? (grins)

Regards! Michaelson

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
A couple stand out for me -- "One Way Passage" (WB, 1932), with William Powell and Kay Francis. A seriously tear-jerking love story about a woman with a fatal disease meeting and falling in love with an escaped death-row prisoner on an ocean voyage. It's tough to come up with a more tear-jerking plot than that...

Hooray, I was just thinking about that one! The '40 remake wasn't anywhere near as good. :D

up196

A-List Customer
The Imposters

Set in the 1930s with Stanley Tucci, Oliver Platt, Lili Taylor, Alfred Molina, Tony Shalhoub and Steve Buscemi, as "Happy" Franks

B00000ICUW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1057211970_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points