Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In the words of the Bard: "Come on!"

Sam Craig

One Too Many
So I was working over an old hat the other day ... It's a Churchill that I bought at Jack Henry's On the Plaza in KC, say 25 years ago.
For a while it was my daily wearer ... like almost every day.
It's been through a lot
It has more than paid for itself.
I was doing some work to it, stabilizing it so I can still get an occasional casual wear out of it ... It's well past the dress-up wear.

Anyway, while I was working it over I got to thinking ...

How can anyone believe that Indiana Jones wears the exact same fedora in the 1950s that he got from that guy back in, whatever, before World War I.

I mean ... just the damage done to it in the first movie should have done it in ... not to mention he left it on the ship when he swam over to the submarine.

I always figured the guy just liked wide-brimmed brown, heavy bodied fedoras.
I mean ... who doesn't?

Do over the years he replaced the hat with another one much like the first one.

But I was told recently that movie buffs claim it's the very same hat through the entire Opus.

I'd certainly appreciate any tips that my Fedora Brothers can share. After all, who else can I trust?

Thanks,

Sam

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nothing to add on the Indy front.

But...

Exactly 25 years ago, I, too, bought a Churchill at Jack Henry's on the Plaza in KC. It was after Out of Africa had been released, and Churchill had a hat called the "Kenya" -- khaki green with a pleated black ribbon and black ventilation eyelets, very sharp. That brings back fond memories for me. Also makes me think of walking down to the Plaza each Thanksgiving to witness the first lighting of the "Plaza Lights"...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Yeah, Jimmy, my bride and I were at the Plaza, it was probaby '86, the first weekend in December. We were there for the Kansas/Missouri AP editors meeting. Missed a lot of the evening events ... imagine that ... while we walked through the Plaza to see the lights.
The meetings were at the Ritz and we were staying on the eighth floor, facing the Plaza... very romantic, very beautiful
I had saved up and bouth this Churchill ... 2 inch brim, medium gray, velour finish. Thin felt. Very comfortable. It was a great hat in its day. It's just well past its day. I still get it out once in a while, just to remember the kids who were walking around the Plaza when they were supposed to be in meetings.
Great memories, great days, great hat ...

I still don't believe Indy had the same lid for 60 years.

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
So I was working over an old hat the other day ... It's a Churchill that I bought at Jack Henry's On the Plaza in KC, say 25 years ago.
For a while it was my daily wearer ... like almost every day.
It's been through a lot
It has more than paid for itself.
I was doing some work to it, stabilizing it so I can still get an occasional casual wear out of it ... It's well past the dress-up wear.

Anyway, while I was working it over I got to thinking ...

How can anyone believe that Indiana Jones wears the exact same fedora in the 1950s that he got from that guy back in, whatever, before World War I.

I mean ... just the damage done to it in the first movie should have done it in ... not to mention he left it on the ship when he swam over to the submarine.

I always figured the guy just liked wide-brimmed brown, heavy bodied fedoras.
I mean ... who doesn't?

Do over the years he replaced the hat with another one much like the first one.

But I was told recently that movie buffs claim it's the very same hat through the entire Opus.

I'd certainly appreciate any tips that my Fedora Brothers can share. After all, who else can I trust?

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,
IT'S A MOVIE !!! Has NOTHING to do with REAL LIFE! ANYTHING the director want's you to think is REAL is in the world of film ! And most folks that think as you've stated DO NOT deal in the REAL world as far as "Indy" goes. Fantasy is a healthy thing and there are a lot of healthy "Indy" fans out there :)
as I say, Onward thru the Fog :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Yeah, I understand the whole movie concept

Started watching them with Hopalong Cassidy some time ago

But even Hoppy must have replaced his hat once in a while

I was just shocked when it was suggested the guy kept the same lid all those years

Maybe I'm too literal

Sam

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Maybe some rabid fans suggest Indy kept the same hat all those years, but I don't know how they could conclude that. As Sam points out, he leaves it on the freighter in the first film when he swims to the sub. Unless the same ship came back to the island to pick him and Marion up (and how did they get back to civilization? I've always wondered), he'd have had to buy a new one. Though he apparently had a backup, the grey; I think he wears it in the last scene of "Raiders" on the steps in Washington.

He stuck with the same style for umpty-ump years, and maybe bought the same brand over and over, but I'm sure he had to go for a replacement now and then. Even James Bond had to replace his Bentley and his Beretta once (end of the novel "Moonraker").

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Frankly, I like the idea of Indy going out every once in a while and buying a new Hero Hat.

That is why some of them look better than the others.

I mean, really, the last one is head and shoulders nicer than the one in Temple of Doom

I also like the grey travel hat in the last movie.

Sam

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Unless I am mistaken, there are some very deliberate clues in Crystal Skull that suggest that Indy was teleported to the future by aliens -- only to return with the fabled "Fed V"....

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Frankly, I like the idea of Indy going out every once in a while and buying a new Hero Hat.

That is why some of them look better than the others.

I mean, really, the last one is head and shoulders nicer than the one in Temple of Doom

I also like the grey travel hat in the last movie.

Sam
Were we ever told where he teaches? For some reason I always thought (before the third film explained his nickname) that he was from, and taught in, Indiana. I imagine him going into the best men's store in Terre Haute or Indianapolis in late 1937.

"Have you got a Herbert Johnson 'Poet' in seven and a half?"
"Yessir. What color would you like?"
"Brown. Always brown."
"A good choice for you, if I may say so, sir. Would you care to shape it yourself?"

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Were we ever told where he teaches? For some reason I always thought (before the third film explained his nickname) that he was from, and taught in, Indiana. I imagine him going into the best men's store in Terre Haute or Indianapolis in late 1937.

"Have you got a Herbert Johnson 'Poet' in seven and a half?"
"Yessir. What color would you like?"
"Brown. Always brown."
"A good choice for you, if I may say so, sir. Would you care to shape it yourself?"

ABBBSOLUTELY!

Except, of course, for the grey ones for travel. But then he lost the last one of those in the soda parlor fight.

I think he must of bought them -- brown and grey -- by the case

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I hadn't thought of that ... Maybe the grey hats were provided by the railroad and airplane crews ... sort of like getting a tie if you don't wear one to dinner.

Great suggestion

This is why we keep coming back to The Lounge ... There's just so darned much wisdom here :)

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana