Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Incoming Aero LHB - Customs Fees ?

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Greetings:

I was notified today by Aero that my LHB in Cordovan CXL steerhide that I ordered back in early March is enroute and should arrive Monday. Hurray!!

I contacted DHL regarding the scheduled delivery and was told there may (or may not) be customs fees associated with the incoming package. If there are fees they can be paid online before delivery to ensure there is no delay in receiving the coat.

I do recall many years ago that some of the items I obtained from Aero had customs fees and some didn't and I had to pay the fees at the post office before delivery of the package.

My question to those who have had recent experience with receiving items directly from Aero is: Does customs regularly assess an incoming package with a fee or do they pick/choose what they assess a fee on. I was told by DHL that the stated value on the contents is $685.00 (or british pounds - I don't recall) but in dollars I paid $986.00 minus shipping.

I do appreciate any input to this inquiry - I did a search of the site 'Customs Fees' but nothing specific came up. Regardless of a fee or not, I do look forward to my new LHB - I hope it is everything I expect and look forward to sharing my upcoming arrival with the Lounge in the near future.

Mickiemac

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Greetings:

I was notified today by Aero that my LHB in Cordovan CXL steerhide that I ordered back in early March is enroute and should arrive Monday. Hurray!!

I contacted DHL regarding the scheduled delivery and was told there may (or may not) be customs fees associated with the incoming package. If there are fees they can be paid online before delivery to ensure there is no delay in receiving the coat.

I do recall many years ago that some of the items I obtained from Aero had customs fees and some didn't and I had to pay the fees at the post office before delivery of the package.

My question to those who have had recent experience with receiving items directly from Aero is: Does customs regularly assess an incoming package with a fee or do they pick/choose what they assess a fee on. I was told by DHL that the stated value on the contents is $685.00 (or british pounds - I don't recall) but in dollars I paid $986.00 minus shipping.

I do appreciate any input to this inquiry - I did a search of the site 'Customs Fees' but nothing specific came up. Regardless of a fee or not, I do look forward to my new LHB - I hope it is everything I expect and look forward to sharing my upcoming arrival with the Lounge in the near future.

Mickiemac
I was charged customs when I bought something from Aero about a year ago. I did not get this money back when I later decided to return it, either.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I've done the US customs route about 5 times now and there is one common pattern. DHL is running a scam and charging basically double duty. That's why I now ask Aero and Simmons Bilt to only ship via Parcelforce (which gets delivered by US Post Office). The official US Postal / customs fee should be just about $55 for a leather jacket. Please post up what DHL charges you. FYI - they might not charge upfront but will send a letter / bill about a month after. And if you ignore that bill, they threaten to report you to a collection agency

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
I've done the US customs route about 5 times now and there is one common pattern. DHL is running a scam and charging basically double duty. That's why I now ask Aero and Simmons Bilt to only ship via Parcelforce (which gets delivered by US Post Office). The official US Postal / customs fee should be just about $55 for a leather jacket. Please post up what DHL charges you. FYI - they might not charge upfront but will send a letter / bill about a month after. And if you ignore that bill, they threaten to report you to a collection agency

Thanks so much for sharing your experience regarding my post. I was told by DHL that customs may access a fee and I can check online as to that charge then pay via their website. Having the info you provided will help me to determine who charged what and why. I guess I can contact US Customs to see what they actually charged if that's possible. If I'm billed by DHL and the charge is out of line based on your experience, then I can dispute their charge and take it from there.

Hopefully this will not be an issue at all - just wanted to have something to go on so I'm not caught off guard.

Thanks!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
You should be able to dig around on the US Customs website and find the actual duty rates, etc, which is the government's take. However, DHL and other shippers will charge handling fees and customs brokerage fees in addition to the tax/duty which is owed to the government (and which they simply pass through to the government). This is not a scam, it's normal business practice and it covers their costs for the paperwork and handling of packages through customs, plus paying the customs duties and government fees up-front and exposing those costs to the wind until (if) the customer pays.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
In my case the times I have received shipments by DHL from Aero, I received an invoice from DHL for the customs charge which I paid promptly by check.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
What did DHl charge you Fanch? I'm guessing >$100 vs US Post Office Customs of $55/$60

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
What did DHl charge you Fanch? I'm guessing >$100 vs US Post Office Customs of $55/$60
Offhand I don't remember but have a vague recollection of somewhere in the $70 range, plus or minus - just not that much on my radar then or now. o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21