Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

incongruent vintage items

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This one is a puzzler, ladies. We've talked about how many women might wear the fashion of their heyday even as fashion passes them by. For example, I've seen pics of older ladies wearing Edwardian clothing while the younger ladies are wearing 20s fashions. I recently came across something puzzling. As I was going through the pieces of a new-to-me 30's pattern, I came across an altered piece that had newsprint to lengthen the piece. The newsprint was from the classified ads selling used cars. All the cars listed were 1951's and 1952's. This implies that the seamstress was altering it in the 50's. Does anyone have any theories about this?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd guess a very thrifty forty-something woman who never got out of the make-do-and-mend mindset. (Hey, wait, that's me!)

But seriously, it wasn't uncommon in the grocery-store women's magazines of the time, Woman's Day and Family Circle and such, to find articles on how to update and rejigger old clothes to bring them up to date. Doing the same thing with patterns would seem like the next step forward.

It'd be interesting to see what sort of dress would result from that kind of an update.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive run across the same thing, a 30s pattern with a late 40s paper piece.
I have sewing books that talk about mending or altering from old patterns into 'today's fashion'. What ever that was at the time.

Id guess ladies valued a company that told them to reuse what they had, made them more loyal customers? ;)

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ok, maybe another piece in the puzzle: The only piece altered was the front facing piece of a button front dress. However, the dress is one that I picked because it was mostly 50's shaped(no built up shoulder, full A-line skirt) with a few 30's design elements. If it weren't for the model's hairstyles and accessories, you might not be able to pinpoint which era it came from.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
A lot of 1930s detailing came back into vogue in the late 40s and 1950s. Could be that she was using the bodice of the piece with a modern skirt? I find it somewhat unlikely that it was a costume as most all costume photos of the period show things with a definite 50s flair to them, or clothes they rummaged out of the attic. lol And a lot of folks wouldn't waste good fabric on costumes unless they were for kids.

Here's a side by side example. A late 30s pattern next to a late 40s pattern:
mccall3189s.jpg
mccall7302s.jpg

lol kamikat, I was rummaging through my pictures and didn't even see your last post. Same exact wavelength

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lauren, I think that's exactly what was going on. My 30's pattern looks quite similar to the 3189 in shape.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Neat! Can't wait to see it :)
My husband, when I met him, said "I don't like 50s clothes". Well, when I started pointing out things that were similar to the 30s and he started misidentifying things as 30s that were actually from the 50s, he started to change his tune a bit. ;) People just have that "poodle skirt and pony tail" or "pencil skirt and skin tight top" idea of the 50s, but there's a huge range of options there, as you know (I love all the things you sew!) I think it's kind of fascinating that in the late 40s fashion kind of reverted back to what it was pre-war... even when Paris was first occupied the gowns had HUGE skirts and lots of pseudo Victorian detailing. Fun that when war was over and fabric wasn't rationed anymore they started reintroducing what they were trying for 10 years earlier.

crwritt

One Too Many
To me, there is no mystery at all here. A thrifty person would have kept patterns for a long time. The simpler styles could always be used over again.
My mother in law passed away a couple years ago and left a whole lot of sewing gear. I think she kept every pattern she ever bought, and I know she was making blouses from the same simple 40's patterns well into the 1980's.
Really, the simpler clothing styles don't change all that much, just the fabrics available and the popular colors tend to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21