Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy to Bogie?

STHill

One of the Regulars
A question for all you guys with lots more hat experience than me (that would be just about all of you). I'm looking for a plain, unformed, hat that I can pinch, bash, trim the brim, if necessary, in short, customize into a typical 30s to 40s style fedora. The "model" would be the classic "Bogie" hat. It doesn't have to look just like his, but that style. I realize I can order almost an exact match from Lee Keppler or Optimo, but a main objective is to learn about pinching and bashing my own hat, in my own style, like guys did back then.

Here's the question: Would the Akubra Fed make a good "project" fedora for this purpose? I realize that we usually think of that hat as an Indy hat, but it seems to my untrained eyes, that trimming the brim and bashing the crown down into a "c," or "open telescope," or whatever it's called, would decrease the dimensions into the territory I'm looking for.

I'm aware I might end up with a complete mess, but I like to fiddle around with things. I was always the kid building model airplanes, and putting together Heathkit speakers. What do ya'll think?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
If I were going to fiddle with, pinch a hat over and over, I'd get an Akubra to do it with, as if you keep pinching a hat over and over, it's eventually going to get a hole in the crown somewhere.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Excellent advice

but I would opt for you buying a quality hat from the period off of Ebay. Prices there are cheaper than Optimo or others.

Then you can play with it all you want, and then decide what you want. When you order a custom hat someday, you will have in your mind a clear picture of what looks good on you, and the desired "look".

havershaw

Practically Family
Plus (and don't get me wrong, I love the Akubras), I think that thinner felt is better for C-crowns. Bogies hats were definitely a lightweight felt, and I feel like, in old films, hats with C-crowns always seemed to have a lot of crinkles in the edges of those crowns. I think that'd be something you'd achieve a lot easier with vintage felt. The creases will be sharper with thinner, finer felt (not to mention the C-crown's ridge).

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by STHill
I was always the kid building model airplanes, and putting together Heathkit speakers. What do ya'll think?

Yikes another glue sniffing, X-acto wielding, solder smelling maniac!!!!!

My vote stands. If you plan on cutting a hat, try your hand on an "ebay bargain".

For a nice hat, Render Fisk it!

For the classic look like in the Republic Serials or Bogie films, again try Ebay....then when you know..buy quality.

I prefer the 30-40's bound edge C-crown Bogie or Action Hero style.

IMHO

:rolleyes:

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I just checked hatsdirect prices for a standard fed. It's $74.55, now add somewhere in the neighbor hood of 15.00 or so for shipping and you are up to around $90.00 that you are paying for a "practice hat." You can get the real deal on ebay for that, plus the felt will be a higher quality and take a constant reshaping and steaming without tapering as much as a federation will. The only problem you may have could be the size issue. What size do you wear anyway? If its anything from a 7 3/8 and up you will have a harder time finding one. Not impossible, but you may have to be more patient for one to come up. There are several 6 7/8 and 7s on right now that look pretty good. At any rate do the math for what you get and you'll see that ebay is a far better choice than new.

fedoralover

STHill

One of the Regulars
Thank you, gentlemen. As usual, you have been most helpful. Ebay is probably the way to go. I'm between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 and there seem to be a fair number available in those sizes.

One related question: Is there any reliable way to "date" a hat (not exactly, but maybe a particular decade)? I've noticed the term "vintage" gets thrown around pretty loosely in those ebay listings.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by STHill

One related question: Is there any reliable way to "date" a hat

Why, yes! Just be polite, bring flowers, and a nice box of candy wouldn't hurt!:p

You generally can tell the "age" of the hat by the general size and shape. Narrow vs. wide brim, crown height (30's were higher) and so on.

Some of my vintage hats have "reorder" tags inside, which show the block, color code, size...etc.

Sometimes the DATE is listed.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ