Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inexpensive Alternative To A Rangoon Shirt

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
If, like me, your waistline is too big and your bank balance is too small to buy an Eastman Rangoon, try a German Bundeswehr olive green field shirt. The cotton/polyester cloth has about the same weight and texture of a Rangoon. The collar is quite long as well. The collar pulls together well when worn with a tie.
The only things wrong are that it isn't form-fitted and doesn't have a front placket (although that doesn't matter under a jacket). However, the price is right - I just bought one for the equivalent of under $15 from this place -

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...ing/new-genuine-german-army-shirt-310935.html

These shirts are probably also available on the US surplus market. Don't buy a used one, they're always faded. The Bundeswehr wore them until the mid 1990s, so there are still plenty of new ones about.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
CRacking shirts. I have three or four.... the oldest of which I bought in 1989 and still wear. The last oe I bought was at the Reading Festival in 1995, and I paid a whole pound....

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars
Hi

Just out:

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=5060

Basically a cotton Rangoon shirt.

Later

I've seen these shirts, or some very like them, in the flesh. They're flat brown without any greenish tint in them and the collar has no curve towards the points. However, they don't look bad and I might buy one at "War & Peace" this year.
They retail in the UK for £35 - £37.

Old Fogey UK

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points