Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Informal tie-clip poll

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I haven't ever worn tie clips. I remember disliking them when I was young. I might consider it now. Been looking over an array of vintage clips.

Do you wear tie clips? All the time? If not, on what occasions? What kind of clips do you like, long ones, shorter ones, round ones, straight ones, slide on, clip on? Do you match your tie clips with other attire like cuff links? Do you match your clip to your tie some how? Other considerations? Any expressions of opinion appreciated.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
They are a nice touch when matched with a pair of cuff links. Personally, I don't like it when my tie is flying all over the place. A tie clip is a nice finishing touch for a good suit. One thing I would never do again though is poke holes in my ties with tie pins!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I wear a tie clip whenever I wear a new (read: long) tie to hide the extra material or when I don't want to have my tie flapping in the wind. I only have one tie clip - one shaped like an 1880's steam locomotive. Try and find a pair of cufflinks that match that one!

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Perfect timing for this subject

I always wear a tie clip to keep my tie flying all over also and I think it is essential for being completely dressed. Just today, I was looking at cufflinks and tie clips that would compliment each other, just as say a woman might coordinate her earrings to a necklace or pendant. Typically I wear more silver than gold although if I found the right pieces that would change.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Tie Me Down Boys

Watch out IMO:

1. Too much cuff links, tie bar, 2 rings
watch can make you look top heavy!

2. On 1940's swingties loose end can be
tucked in your shirt army style no tie
bar needed.

3. 1940's tie bars should be slide on's
2 1/2 to 3 inches in length.

SC :)

kools

Practically Family
I always wear a tie clip. I have about 6 or 7 to choose from right now, some silver and some are gold. I generally pair them with my tie/suit/shoes/belt...gold tie clips with browns, silver tie clip with blacks & blues. The rule doesn't always hold for me...right now I am wearing a brown suit/brown shoes/brown belt with a silver tie clip. Sometimes I just pick one that I haven't worn in a while.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I wore one as a child and probably still have a couple. Hadn't thought about them in years. I also have some tie pins that I think were called "tie tacks" which were also popular in yesteryear. I even have a few stickpins that I think date back to the Victorian era and could be quite elaborate. I never thought about the holes they might leave behind in the ties. Think I'll be rooting around for these tonight just to see what they look like again.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I have a few as well, but I don't wear them often. If I do wear them, though, and I am also wearing cufflinks, I try to match the clip with the cufflinks and with the color of the buckle on my belt.

It just gives a bit of a neater appearance, IMO, if all of your accessories match.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I see someone going down the street with brown shoes and a black belt on, I cringe. :p

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Got one shaped like a '40 Ford Coupe and a silver one shaped like a slim piece of bamboo. When I used to think I was a preppy, I had one shaped like a polo mallet.
Wear them occasionally- always tilted at a slight angle. I'm pretty tall, so it breaks up the long vertical lines of my tie and suit lapels.
Check out L.A. Confidential, practically every guy in it wears a tie bar!

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Unless I'm wearing a wide tie, I always wear a tie clip. I usually wear 50's and 60's narrow ties, which always seem to end up diaganonal, no matter how carefully I tie them. I've got a few neat ones, and the tie clips are usually gold with brown clothes, or silver with everything else. One of my silver ones is even monogrammed.

I usually don't wear them with the pre-50's style 40's ties, just because of the high gourge and never-opening the jacket, they aren't really even seen and the ties are heavy enough to stabilize themselves.

Feraud

Bartender
I wear a tie clip too. I have a nice matching set of gold-tone and brown embossed leather cufflinks & tieclip. I do try to match the outfit with the accessories.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I usually wear one

Sometimes if I'm wearing a vest I avoid a tie clip.
I own a tie tack but never use it.
I prefer a fairly simple tie clip, my fanciest being a Hidalgo Trading Co. clip I had custom made in an aged bronze finish.
I lost my favorite slip on tie bar at a Lyons restaurant.
I don't know if I answered your question or am rambling.:rolleyes:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have five or six

JUST found a sterling clip and cufflinks stashed away in a closet today. 1930's. Can't wait to wear them.
I usually go clipless (I wear ties 6 or 7 days a week).

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I wear a tie almost every day. And as such wear a tie clip all the time. I do have some ties that I already ruined with tie pins, and so I use the pins only on those. I will never ruin another tie. The tie clip is a great looking 'prop'. I wear mine higher on the tie so it peaks out if the coat is buttoned. But I have seen some people wear theirs lower on the tie. This lower stance keeps the tie from moving at all. My higher stance still allows the bottom of the tie to move in the wind if the jacket is not buttoned.

Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner