Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros. - Official Affiliate Thread

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Looks great DM.. I think you did good by using Insurection, the fit looks right on. Funny I asked for the cord hem on the 30's halfbelt I received a month or so ago but I didn't get it as I was "talked out of using it". I agree with you regarding the Tartan, it looks great but is a bit "thin" feeling. Wear it well.

Peacoat

Bartender
Excellent fit. I don't think the sleeves are too long as they are now. But I have long arms and have always been sensitive about sleeves being too short. The sleeves will probably "wrinkle" up a bit more over the next few weeks, but if they don't, I would just be happy they are long enough and not too short. Congratulations on a very nice jacket.

dm8877

New in Town
. . . but if they don't, I would just be happy they are long enough and not too short.

Ha - I am very familiar with this line of thought.

Thanks all for the kind wishes everyone. It's killing me that this is going to hang in the closet for the next few months. It was almost 80 degrees today.

Ross817

New in Town
The great fit of this jacket, especially across the shoulder bring up an ongoing conundrum I have.

I'm planning on placing an order for an Aero cafe racer through Insurrection probably for August completion. Now I currently have 2 Schott Jackets with the full on action back, as in bi swing from shoulder to kidney pad. While these jackets look great from the front I hate the way they look from the sides and back. It looks 80's to me and like I have a hunch back.

Now this makes me think I wouldn't want a bi swing period. BUT I notice on the Aero Cafe's that the bi swing is only right around the shoulders and looks very ergonomic.

And now for my question:

Would an Aero cafe with no bi swing fit tighter across the back or would one with the Aero bi swing? I imagine a no bi biswing would have to be cut across the shoulders a little more for movement but the Aero bi swing would "hide" the extra material, thus looking sleeker.

Please keep in mind that this jacket is strictly for looking sharp. Ill probably never have it on the bike thus no real need for bar grabbing room.

Thanks in advance for all questions, concerns or comments.

Dude59

New in Town
DM your jacket looks amazing. I can only hope my jacket fits that well when I get it. Seeing guys getting their jacket has me feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Please excuse the poor photos. I will make an effort after a few months of break-in to get some better shots.

View attachment 1386
View attachment 1387
View attachment 1388
View attachment 1389

It's very, very nice. I have nothing but kind words for the folks at Insurrection. Highly recommended.

I requested a particular tartan in Strome weight. Aero came back and said they had the tartan in Reiver weight and if I wanted something warmer I should get the tweed. I went with the tartan in Reiver. It's "Carnegie Modern" in case you were wondering. I'll see how warm it is and years from now may have it relined with tweed if necessary.

I'd asked for the coat to have the two points on the yoke, but it came with one point like on the Highwayman. I was disappointed at first, but upon reflection I think I actually prefer it. I think it looks cleaner.

The coat has a 3" cord hem. I did not ask for this as I understood Aero wasn't doing it anymore. I am glad it is there.

The fit is practically perfect. The arms are still maybe half an inch too long after three days of wear. I am counting on them to crease up a bit more.

The weather here has been *just* cool enough to justify wearing the jacket. I have been getting looks. Not sure if they are "wow, nice jacket" looks or "what is that doofus doing wearing that jacket in this weather" looks. I did actually have a complete stranger comment "nice jacket" as I passed him on the sidewalk today. That's a first.

Those are hardly poor photos. Gorgeous.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great Vanson jacket from Insurrection/Thurston Bros. at Backfire Moto in Seattle!

VansonPlu-3backfire_zps7b8428d1.jpg

Also, we still have eight June production slots left open for custom Aero jackets!

Last edited:

wanz

One of the Regulars
The great fit of this jacket, especially across the shoulder bring up an ongoing conundrum I have.

I'm planning on placing an order for an Aero cafe racer through Insurrection probably for August completion. Now I currently have 2 Schott Jackets with the full on action back, as in bi swing from shoulder to kidney pad. While these jackets look great from the front I hate the way they look from the sides and back. It looks 80's to me and like I have a hunch back.

Now this makes me think I wouldn't want a bi swing period. BUT I notice on the Aero Cafe's that the bi swing is only right around the shoulders and looks very ergonomic.

And now for my question:

Would an Aero cafe with no bi swing fit tighter across the back or would one with the Aero bi swing? I imagine a no bi biswing would have to be cut across the shoulders a little more for movement but the Aero bi swing would "hide" the extra material, thus looking sleeker.

Please keep in mind that this jacket is strictly for looking sharp. Ill probably never have it on the bike thus no real need for bar grabbing room.

FWIW, here is a rear shot of my mid-weight HH Aero cafe racer with the bi-swing (unzipped):

There are some additional pictures here (didn't want to hijack the thread):
http://s867.photobucket.com/user/nwanzenr/slideshow/Aero%20Cafe%20Racer

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate

And now for my question:

Most of our customers do get the Aero Cafe' Racer with shoulder gussets. However, some do get the Cafe' Racer without shoulder gussets. Measurements aren't altered on the back piece to accommodate for movement on the non-gusseted racers, but those customers seem to still have enough room in the shoulder area.

wanz

One of the Regulars
Perfect fit wanz. Looks great.

Wanz..I agree. What a great trim fit..!! A very tailored appearance. Should get even better with wear.
Very nice!!
HD

Wanz, Thanks for the pictures. Sharp looking jacket!

Carrie, As always, thanks for the info.

-Ross

Thanks... I've actually had the jacket for a bit over a year now (just happened to have some pictures that seemed to apply to Ross' question). It is my go-to jacket when I can't make up my mind. The hide seems to suit this style well... I also have a FQHH HWM. As much as I have enjoyed breaking that in, I am glad that I went with mid-weight on this jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ