Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting development: Armoured Lewis Leathers

Edward

Bartender
Happened to chance across these on the Urban Riders website today - www.urbanriders.co.uk . They've done a collaboration with Lewis to produce two models - the "Racing" and the "Monza" in an "armour-ready" variation.

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/...ther-jacket-urban-rider-armoured-edition.html

http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/...ther-jacket-urban-rider-armoured-edition.html

Both available in Black and Brown, the Monza also in a fetching navy. Looks like Lewis have caught on to the fact there's a market with riders who want old-school style but with CE armour. These jackets are £50 more than the retail price on the regular model, which seems fairly reasonable for the additional labour in creating the armour pockets. I hope they sell well enough for them to consider a Lightning model!

Always seemed strange to me that more of the classic-style makers haven't caught on to this sort of thing. (I know a few do exist and we've discussed them on ther threads, but...).

An Aero J106 would be lovely with this feature too.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I saw them the other day, and was meaning to post. I agree it looks like an interesting development.

Lewis Leathers make all their jackets to order, so I'm sure you could ask them to put armour pockets into a Lightning. Unless there's a blanket exclusivity agreement with Urban Rider, they'd probably do one for you. Otherwise, Urban Rider might be able to order one for you.

Incidentally, Lewis Leathers charge £800 for a Super Monza, which is the same price as Urban Rider. So there isn't a premium for adding a few inside pockets.

I'd also be tempted to swap the D3O for Knox Micro-Lock. I took a look at the range at the weekend, and the back protector is really soft and flexible.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Wow... finally!

What I've been asking them for years to do, they've finally done it on the discontinued Monza.

Fantastic ..but why haven't they double-stitched the seams like every proper motorcycle jacket? And why are they not offering these from their Lewis Leathers shop?

Graeme - I've noticed that too. A lot of proper CE geared jackets like Rukka use soft flexible back protectors. I've no idea how safe they are compared to articulated back protectors like Alpinestars and Dainese sportswear. My guess is that the street fighter looks of the jacket are designed for the same retro Enfields and Triumph Bonnevilles with a maximum cruising comfortable cruising speed of 60mph instead of proper sports jackets designed for 200mph.

Still ...way cheaper than a modern Belstaff. Great addition.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I suspect that Lewis Leathers could get hidden stitching done properly without compromising the look of their jackets. But they'd probably need a lot of customers hassling them about it to make that change.

Soft protectors should be as safe, since they're engineered to meet the same CE standards. However Dr John Hinds reckoned that a hard protector would prevent the back from hyperextension, and might prevent an injury to the spine that a soft one would have prevented.

If you want retro style with full protection, then ask BKS to build you their Mayhew jacket. It'll probably cost twice or three times what the Lewis Leathers one does.

Mayhew.jpg

They've done a few retro inspired suits recently. The best thing to do is trawl their Facebook page and see what turns up. This one was put together for the owner of a Ducati café racer.

BKS.jpg

This is their Continental jacket, which was made as the top half of a two piece suit. I think that the owner should have specified fewer colours and details.

Continental.jpg

Edward

Bartender
That belted BKS would be nice without the fluro green and the ugly logo. I've handle stuff from them before, though, and it was certainly nice. I think the jacket my parents tried to buy me for my 21st might even have been one of theirs - but it was a hideous, modern design like the one Arnie wears in Terminator 3 - actually, it was a dead ringer for this one on Hugh Jackman:

hugh-jackman-wolverine-jacket-900x900.jpg

Even back then, it was too Power Ranger for my tastes.

Wow... finally!

What I've been asking them for years to do, they've finally done it on the discontinued Monza.

Hadn't realised they'd dropped the Monza. Surprises me - I thought it was one of the really popular options, butg then I guess it's also a style where there are any number of cheaper alternatives out there, as disticnt from the more iconic Lightnings, Dominator / Corsairs, and such.

Fantastic ..but why haven't they double-stitched the seams like every proper motorcycle jacket? And why are they not offering these from their Lewis Leathers shop?

Probably not seen a market for it yet - Urbanriders I'm sure had to buy these in stock themselves. Maybe if they're popular there, more will follow. I'd hazard a guess that while they sell well to the Ace Cafe scene, the majority of Lewises sold these days never see the bakc of a bike.

Graeme - I've noticed that too. A lot of proper CE geared jackets like Rukka use soft flexible back protectors. I've no idea how safe they are compared to articulated back protectors like Alpinestars and Dainese sportswear. My guess is that the street fighter looks of the jacket are designed for the same retro Enfields and Triumph Bonnevilles with a maximum cruising comfortable cruising speed of 60mph instead of proper sports jackets designed for 200mph.

Yes, very different beasts. Can't really see this style selling to the performance bike crowd, really. These will probably sell best to the sort of middle ground, hobbyist biker that a lot of folks are these days. The one percenter types don't really seem to be interested in saftey gear, tbat I've seen. Mostyl I see them in Schott and similar, at least the few you see in London.

Benproof

A-List Customer
"If you want retro style with full protection, then ask BKS to build you their Mayhew jacket. It'll probably cost twice or three times what the Lewis Leathers one does."

Did they not get taken over by Frank Thomas' factory and workmen then? Their older quality was great. I didn't realise they were still independent.

It's a tough call... £800 for a decent race stitched jacket or a Lewis Leathers Monza......!

Graemsay

Practically Family
BKS effectively became two companies:
  • BKS (Made to Measure) who can still be found in Exmouth.
  • BKS Leathers, who became part of the Frank Thomas empire.
The made to measure end of the business is doing well for themselves, and making the kinds of suits they alway have. I'm picking one up next week. I think that the off the peg side went to J&S Accessories, who took over the remnants of Frank Thomas.

I agree that the BKS Continental Jacket would look better with few colours and details. But it's a bespoke garment, so you could tweak it to suit your own tastes.

There are manufacturers doing retro styled kit. Rev'it have a decent urban range, see this piece from Cycle World that mentions an upcoming buffalo leather jacket. Roland Sands Designs make a few good ones, and Rokker have collaborated with Thedi for theirs.

Edward

Bartender
I just wish more of them would move beyond a 70s look and cafe-racer styles. I'm sure it'll happen in time.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Thanks for the clarification Graeme. I'm on the same page as Edward...some of those designs look a bit dated rather than retro!

Actually it's been ages since I destroyed a set of motorcycle leathers (touch wood). They tend to shrink (or is that we tend to grow a certain shape) and no longer fit. A good fit lasts about 10 years for a motorcycle jacket - any longer I'd worry about its strength. Unlike decorative film set type jackets which are all carefully rubbed and aged to look worn ... and are more likely to fall apart in a minor scuffle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk