Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intrigued by a "vintage" music video

Jerekson

One Too Many
My friend knows that I'm a vintage nut, and he sent me a link to this music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmpmjsq8Z70

The suit looks authentic to me.

I actually have to say that the sound isn't half bad, either...

In any case it's interesting and pretty cool.

Apparently it's from 1998.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
BigBadVoodooDaddy.jpg

BigBadVoodooDaddy001.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Okay, they definitely know about suits. Gee whiz, those are some nice pieces.

The hats, however...

Esme

One of the Regulars
Oooooh, I love Big Bad Voodoo Daddy!!! If you want to see something similar in a TexMex vein, check out Los Lobos, although they veer off into what my dad used to wear bowling sometimes.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
It's the 1998 mainstream swing trend that got me hardcore into vintage and where I am today. I remember seeing BBVD in concert in the summer of '98 and seeing all the people dressed in their 30s and 40s gear. That was it. By September I was pretty obssessed with the 20s/30s/40s!! :)

And here I am 11 years later.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Those are Avalos suits.

I miss those old days... Though I see with the economy down the swing dance scene is picking up... I'm not clear why, but looks like it's happening.

If you watch music videos nowadays (yes they still make them), You'll see more and more of the newer artists are going retro.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I didn't know Lennox did a video for that.
I have the Diva album and thought she had a great vintage sound to that song and I'm glad she had a great vintage look for the video too.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

VintageRed

Familiar Face
Omg, I LOVE BBVD.

I was living in Southwest FL at the time they came out on the mainstream trend for revitalizing the 20's, 30's and 40's. There was a huge surge to rebuild the downtown area of the city I was living in and swing clubs, cigar bars and vintage shops were popping up everywhere!

I went to the swing clubs a few times and enjoyed the idea of the cigar bar, but since I don't smoke, I couldn't stay long...

Unfortunately, I wish I knew then what I knew now, because I'm sure I could have gotten a better jump on the collecting at that point.

Ugh. :rolleyes:

As for BBVD, they'll be in NYC TONIGHT at B.B. King's Blues Club, 8pm sharp.

That sounds like a swingin' time!

~Red

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Amy Jeanne said:
It's the 1998 mainstream swing trend that got me hardcore into vintage and where I am today. I remember seeing BBVD in concert in the summer of '98 and seeing all the people dressed in their 30s and 40s gear. That was it. By September I was pretty obssessed with the 20s/30s/40s!! :)

And here I am 11 years later.

WOW! 1998, wasn't that just last week? :eusa_doh:

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I became a BBVD back in 1999-- I was 11. I first heard their music in Never Been Kissed (Go Daddy-O! plays throughout a montage of scenes, along with one of the characters starting a rumor that Drew Barrymore's character "used to date the drummer from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy"). Not long after that, an art teacher of mine started playing various mainstream swing artists during class, including BBVD, The Cherry Poppin' Daddies, and the Christian band, The W's. I've been a fan ever since. I recently bought the Live! album from 2005, and it's pretty awesome.

On the subject of vintage videos, Katy Perry's video for "Thinking of You" is definitely WWII inspired:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebh6FL0vo44

As is "The Ghost of You" by My Chemical Romance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQBzFN7GMwA&feature=related

and "Candy Man" by Christina Aguilera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yk_xaKhzRs&feature=related

The ladies tend to take on the pinup look in their videos. I really like that the MCR video shows the storming of the beach in Normandy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points