Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing Myself and Happy to be Here

BruSwain

New in Town
Warmest greetings to everyone at the Fedora Lounge.

For the last several months I have browsed and read here and now think it time to register and introduce myself. What a delight to find so many kindred spirits.

I'm 62 but was born too late in the 20th Century. My style inclinations have ranged from the Victorian to the Jazz Age and I may be a bit short of the Lounge's 1920 and up dictum, but already have seen much here that's familiar to me.

It may have started in high school when for my portrait in the senior yearbook I sported a homemade wing collar, puff cravat, and a tie pin. In my early college days I worked in several men's clothiers. It's painful to recall, and I thank Providence there are no photographs of me in a huge-lapelled sport coat, ridiculously flared trousers, platform shoes and necktie as wide as a baby's bib. Not long thereafter I became more conservative. Most of my working life (I'm now retired) was in local government; there wasn't a strict dress code but most of my male colleagues wore ties. When the casual trend came in those fellas ripped off their ties as though stung by them. Not me. I wore a suit or coat and tie every working day.

My view then as it is now is that being well-dressed gives a lift to the spirits.

I don't miss work, but I do regret that I've no particular reason to dress to the nines Monday through Friday. Now I use any excuse; the photo here was taken recently when I went to lunch with some fellow retirees. I'll dress up to see my doctor or dentist, to go out for coffee, etc.

Some of this sense may have been inherited from my late father. He was a meticulous dresser and wouldn't leave the house if there was a speck of lint on a lapel or a wrinkle in his collar. We were by no means well off, but still he had his suits made by a tailor in Green Bay (Wisconsin).

At least in part my desire to dress well serves as a protest to the slobocracy we've become in the U.S. So many men with three-day growth on their faces ("Miami Vice" was in the '80's--let's get over it, shall we?), tee-shirts and dirty jeans. They look like bums or street people. So few men these days possess what we fogies call "class."

I like:
3-button or double-breasted suits
French cuffs
Stiff collars
Hats (derby, Homburg, fedora, pork pie, Panama, skimmer)
Pocket handkerchiefs
Wing-tip or cap-toe oxfords (and spectators!)

Happy to be here with you. I hope I can contribute something of use or amusement.

Cheers,
Bruce
lounge.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hello and welcome...someone may move this post of yours only as there is some place to say hello already made...but please do stick around. Love the color of your suit. You will fit in right nicely here.

Hal

Practically Family
Welcome!
...there wasn't a strict dress code but most of my male colleagues wore ties. When the casual trend came in those fellas ripped off their ties as though stung by them. Not me.
I simply don't understand the very frequent prejudice against the tie; it gives an opportunity for colour and individuality that to me it would be silly to forego.
...I do regret that I've no particular reason to dress to the nines Monday through Friday. Now I use any excuse; ...I'll dress up to see my doctor or dentist, to go out for coffee, etc.
This is an example all those who have retired would do well to follow, and fairly closely reflects my own situation. I am slowly "reverting" to jacket and tie when I can get away with it, though perhaps not as frequently as you do. Keep up the good work!

Edward

Bartender
Welcome aboard!

Welcome!

I simply don't understand the very frequent prejudice against the tie; it gives an opportunity for colour and individuality that to me it would be silly to forego.

Indeed - the reason so many reject the tie - it's essential purposelessness - is the very reason I embrace it. The same goes for cufflinks, rings, tieclips... I suppose it's simply a mindset thing, but I fear I am in complete ignorance as to why anyone would forego the option to dandify themselves somewhat as the chance arises.

This is an example all those who have retired would do well to follow, and fairly closely reflects my own situation. I am slowly "reverting" to jacket and tie when I can get away with it, though perhaps not as frequently as you do. Keep up the good work!

I'm looking forward to retirement as a chance to wear whatever I want. whenver I want. Probably true of so many of my contemporaries, though I suspect we may well do so with very different wardrobes.... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner