Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction, and question.

Barney

New in Town
I have been about for approximately a month, and have even posted several times in the WW II section, but have not as yet participated in the hat section.
I'm feeling a bit uneasy because I am a Stetson fan. I've owned a pair of Stetson Roadmasters for about seven or eight years, and have found them to be durable, rugged, and requiring very little upkeep. It seems that my experience with Stetson products has been significantly more positive than many other members.
I hoping that some of you can offer some suggestions concerning my decision to purchase a 100% beaver felt hat.Thanks to other members I have been introduced to Art Fawcett's hats, which certainly warrant consideration.Also in the running are one of Stetson's (the Pinnacle, as well as several others made for Miller Hats).
It seems strange to me, however, that with all the discussion about the many types of Indiana Jones Hats from a variety of manufactures, that I have seen no discussion concerning Baron Hats. One of their claims to fame is that they provided the hats in the movie "Seabiscut". The hat worn by Jeff Bridges seems to be as fine a looking fedora, as I have ever seen. Has anyone in the Lounge had any experience with Baron's. I would really be interested to learn your opinions.
Thanks - Barney

KObalto

One of the Regulars
I beieve Art supplied the hats for Seabiscuit's stars from his vintage collection
(is Bridges' hat a Penney Marathon? someone help me out here). Baron did the hats for the extras.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Barney, There are some "Stetson" fans hereabouts. For a long, time, HATCO got a bad rap, here, but in recent months there have been several positive responses. Some of us are not worried that the "Temple" is not a 100% accurate representation of any of Indiana Jones' on screen hats. Big deal. It's a good hat at a fair price. You can wear one with the nicest suit you have, or you can dress down and still look good. My own tests have convinced me that it will not self-destruct in the rain, nor does the die "run." The size is almost always 100% accurate. I haven't had to worry about shimming and/or shrinking. I've also noticed that the soft felt (very little stiffener) makes for a comfortable fit on my "long oval head" right from the start. I dont have to break it in, or work with it in any way. All that is also true for the "Pinnacle," which is the same hat in beaver instead of rabbit. (I own two Temples and one Pinnacle.)

It's your money and your hat. Buy what you like, and wear it well! :)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Marcus is pretty much right. My main problem with Stetson fedoras, at this point, is that their crowns are too low and tapered for my frame and face shape. I can only get away with their "Temple" center dent shape. So, with the limited style variations they have, I'm reduced to less than half their catalog as a choice. Plus, I've been spoiled by Art Fawcett! :eek:
As far as a beaver felt hat, I can't see me paying all that money for an off-the-shelf Temple clone when I could get something custom made from Art, Steve Delk, etc. Same goes for a Borsalino. I suppose that if Borsie or Stetson had a beaver felt hat was really in love with, I'd consider it. [huh]

Baron's, I've heard, are nice. But I don't like his propensity for dubious claims. I stick to what I know. If I want a beater - I'll buy Stetson and Akubra rabbit felts. If I want something truly nice, I get beaver lids from Art and Steve.
Miller... they don't have beaver felts, last I checked. And most of their hats are on par with a Stetson rabbit from what I've seen.

Sassman

New in Town
Has anyone in the Lounge had any experience with Baron's.

Their shop is in Burbank and I've been in it a couple of times. The hats they have for sale there are unremakable; the usual selection you might find anywhere (and grotesquely overpriced). I have no knowledge of the quality their "custom" product, but I'd venture to say you can probably do better pricewise with some of the dealers found here in the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21