Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction and question

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
Hello ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce myself:

Most people know me as Dr Kilroy, I would like not to reveal my real name yet. ;) I'm currently living in Poland (sorry in advance for any grammar mistakes ;) ).
I have registered here because of my old-fashioned, even obsolete, eccentric style and I found out that you are more welcome for such things than members of AAAC forum, for example and with all due respect.
I cannot state that "I'm wearing something", but rather "I'm planning to wear" because I'm relatively very young and I cannot afford buying nice clothes. Don't ask me for my age please. :) Despite it, I know pretty much about dressing, especially more formal wear, and I have got plans about my dress in the future. I can reveal them to you, and I hope I will not be laughed out.

I'm planning to wear a lounge suit every day and a dinner suit every evening. I also consider wearing a traditional striped blazer on a beach and a more contemporary blazer for very casual activities, not in public of course. Further details are dependant on many things and will be estabilished in the future. At the moment I can only claim that they will have wide lapels, mostly peaked. I will also try to always hide the waistband of my trousers.

When it comes to shirts, in town (I don't count these blazers) I will wear a white shirts with stiff front and detachable wing collar (or even imperial in some cases). You may see an interference of Monsieur Poirot here. :) In country I will wear a shirt (white or coloured like in some Apparel Arts and Esquire pictures) with detachable white turndown collar and white cuffs (not detachable).

When it comes to shoes, in most of cases I will wear patent leather oxfords or balmoral boots. The only exeptional cases will be the blazers, white tie and black tie (which I will wear with patent leather pumps, or maybe patent leather balmoral button boots with silk upper) and the sports suit with plus-fours, when I will wear brown oxfords. Definitely the next mark of Poirot's two cents, or rather two centimes. :)

When it comes to hats, I'm not particularly into fedoras :)rolleyes:), but I love homburgs and straw boaters. I will also definitely have a silk top hat, an opera hat, a bowler and maybe a pork pie.

Briefly about other accesories (not mentioning pocket squares, braces, cufflinks, studs etc.): I will wear socks in some colour not matching the colour of trousers, preferably maroon. :) I will always wear gloves when not eating or sleeping or changing gloves. :) In summer they will be made of cotton. I will wear a pocket watch on a watch chain. I will always carry a cane or an umbrella and maybe even a parasol sometimes. My lapel will be always adorned with a boutonniere. Oh, and I will often use spats. When my eyes will not be working very well, my accessories list will be completed with pince-nez or monocle, we'll see.

That's all when it comes to my future style. I hope I'm not too obsolete in your opinion.

I promised a question, so here it is. I think that only the more old-fashioned gentlemen will be able to help me. Which suits are appropriate for wing collars? I saw a lot of vintage pictures with this style, but I'm not sure what colours and patterns are exactly correct.

Thank you very much and best regards, Dr Kilroy

EDIT: I have obviously forgot about neckwear. :eusa_doh: I'm a bow tie wearer and I will wear them with every dress.

Also, as Bugsy pointed out to me, I forgot about sock garters. :)

Last edited:

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
So, you have got no ideas? All right, I will think it out myself. ;)

If you don't know the answer for my question, just comment the rest, please. That will help me, too, I would like to know whether do you appreciate my ideas or what you would have changed or added or removed.

Best regards, Dr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner