Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iron Heart One Star

dannyk

One Too Many
While poking around the Iron Heart site, I stopped to take a look at their version of the One Star Perfecto. I came across this in the description "Hide is chrome tanned, then has the chrome removed and finally vegetable tanned" Just curious what the point of this is? Does anyone have any experience with this, or can tell me what benefit their is? Just curious is all. Im not trying to start a debate on the cost of the jacket, the design of it, comments about Four Speed who make it for Iron Heart. I really just am curious about what this is. How does one remove the Chrome tanning? Why Chrome tan, just to remove it, why not vegetable tan it from the beginning? Thanks for any input!

dannyk

One Too Many
And if anyone is familiar with this, do they know any other models that have this done?

Colin G

One Too Many
The chrome portion comes from the use of chromium sulphate. Not sure how you can remove that after tanning.

dannyk

One Too Many
The chrome portion comes from the use of chromium sulphate. Not sure how you can remove that after tanning.
That’s what I was thinking. And then if that’s what you’re doing why not just vegetable tan in the first place? Again just curious about why, how, and if anyone else is doing it. Maybe someone out there on TFL can shed some light on the matter.

Here's their website, but not much in English

https://fourspeed-leathers.com/
1AA9B3A2-CD9E-4433-A048-1F07B88457A3.jpeg
This one’s pretty great.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It almost seems like this must be a case of lost in translation. Removing the chrome from chrome tanned leather seems unlikely. I have a feeling that what they were trying to get at is that the leather is combination tanned, first chrome and then vegetable.
I really like that jacket that you posted from their website handymike. Looks like a Vanson Chopper that went to graduate school and learned some manners.

dannyk

One Too Many
Yes, it is essentially combination tanning as far as I remember
Yeah I’m going to assume that @El Marro is right and that it’s been lost in translation from Four Speeds Japanese page to Iron Hearts English site. I’m going to assume it is just a combination tan...but if anyone knows any different, if it is in fact some odd, unique form of tanning please do share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112