Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My Battle of Britain Irvin...

This is the type of Irvin as used during the Battle of Britain (1940) and didn't cost much more than the price of a modern day repro, but has bags more character and many more stories to tell! Size 40".

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RAF sheepskin nuts..show us your Irvin to Berlin...

I KNOW there is a squadron of you guys out there that just LOVE the old RAF sheepskin flying jacket. Many feel it is the epitome of the vintage flyer!! So let's see some of you in your original or repro Irvin jacket (often called as that was one of the makers, ONE of many I hasten to add). As they came in all sorts of configurations, so the more the merrier. And tell us what you LOVE about your sheepskin...

OK, first off, mine is the four panel late 1940 version (with an Irvin label), Dot zips, leather puller on main zip, short pile on collar and trimmings, long shaggy baby underneath!! nice and cosey like toast! Nice and short around waist, no holes, in great condition and I just love it because it's English winter again!! Just cannot beat an original Irvin.

TALLY-HO CHAPS..and GOOD HUNTING..!!!!

Irvin-Battle_of_Britain004.jpg

matei

One Too Many
BEST REPRO Irvin style sheepskin...?

Hola,

Thanks again to the experienced folks who pointed out that the jacket from "Stairway to Heaven" was an Irvin.

Now that I know what kind of jacket it is, I am helping my father to order one, however I've come across several different makers on the 'Net...

What are your thoughts on Aero vs. the one from Aviation Leathercraft?

I know that Eastman makes one as well, but methinks $1000 + to be a wee bit steep at this time for me auld fella. Granted, I'm in the UK so the conversion rate is in our favour but still...

Cheers!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Aero vs AL vs Eastman

I have owned Irvins for over thirty years. Here are my recommendations in order based on authenticity:

1. Original - you can still get good originals in UK for less than a new Eastman
2. Eastman - if you can stand the RiRi main zipper
3. Aero - not quite as good as the Eastman, but better value
4. Aviation Leathercraft - not an authentic reproduction but very warm
5. All the others e.g. Cirrus, Cockpit and, controversially, Real McCoys )although I admit I have never handled one and they may be better than they look on the website)

By the way, if you expect any of the modern repros to have the deep coloured fleece of Niven's jacket in the film, you'll most likely be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Alan

grant

Familiar Face
I agree with Alan that if at all possible you should try and find a nice original Irvin over even an Eastman repro. I used to own an Eastman but quickly sold it when I bought my first original four years ago. Here's a photo of one I picked up a couple years ago that's my "every day wear" Irvin in the winter that was about half the price of a repro. It's missing the original makers label but still has the original elastic neck strap, zips and belt. Grant

Irvin.jpg

matei

One Too Many
Thanks lads for the suggestions. The original route sounds intriguing, I wonder however if they have any left kicking around in the auld fella's size - he's a 48 - 50 jacket.

Cheers,

M

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I was going to second Alan's post but if that's your old man's size then forget an original! You can still get cheap original Irvins up to a 40" but anything bigger goes for large sums.

Eastman is better than Aero on the fine details, but Aero is still a serious contender.

Personally I'd forget all the others, but if you really have to watch the pennies there are usually a lot of the Aviation Leathercraft ones on Ebay and they can go pretty cheap.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Don't be sheepish about your shearling!

In my part of the world (north UK/Scotland), the weather is crying out for shearling, be it an old favourite RAF Irvin, or an AAF B-3..!

For many of us, it's a great defining moment to get the heavy shearling jacket out of moth balls and cedar chests and air them for the first time in months. Almost like getting a new jacket for Xmas again!!
So, don't be sheepish and show us your winter shearling you'll be sporting for the winter. So, winter does have its pluses!!

For reference, one below is an Aero B3 'redskin.' (Aero Leather Co) It's seriously toasty and is a head turner if ever a jacket was with that deep reddish brown hide and deep pile wool.

So don't forget to tell us where you got it from.

Dscf0118.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I Know for a fact, that there are some cracking RAF sheepskins out there...

A number of you boys have got cracking repro and original Irvins out there and this is the season to be Irvin jolly (and we aren't just talking Irvin Berlin here!). So it would be great to share some of those shots of that most typical of RAF WW2 jacket wear here with the rest of the gang!! I'm just trying to hunt out some great Irvin pics, but they seem to have 'taken off!' But hang in there and I'll get some flying on this post!!
RAF20IRVIN20ANTIQUE20BROWN11.jpg

irvine_front.jpg

IrvinBoB.jpg

IRVIN2.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bootiful Kiwi made jacket!

What a stunner! that pile looks so deep you could lose yourself in it. Nice shade contrast in the hide too, and the label looks spot on! Those oversized collars are just the biz, but when you pull them up I always feel I look like Queen Elizabeth 1st with the BIG round collar! Looks better down. It'll take a lot of huffing and puffing from the winter elements to storm that mama of a sheepskin. Those Kiwis know how to make a vintage look flying jacket and I dare say that they'll sell a few more on the back of the photos you have been kind enough to post up here! How anyone couldn't be impressed by that B-3..!
You're putting me in the mood to get my M445a (USN shearling) out of mothballs now, as it has the lovely overly wide collar too (as you know!).

Thanks again for that. Mmmm, wonder who's next...??

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Me I guess! Aero bog standard seal B-3, getting plenty of wear at the moment as it's ideal sheepskin conditions down this way, clear and bright but cold. Also worn with ELC seal B-2 cap. Buzz Rickson B-15B also getting plenty of wear.

AeroB-31.jpg

BuzzRicksonetc.jpg

MB17

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Yeah, I've got an Aero Irvin - and it's so much warmer than anything else I have it's incredible. ( My only regret's that, when I got the Irvin, Aero had a shaw-collar Barnstormer on sale which I passed up. :) )

I actually have driven around with in in my convertible with the top down in 20 degree farenheit weather. ( They don't call me the MAD Hatter for nothing. :cheers1: )

MDFrench

A-List Customer
My new Aero Pre-War RAF Irvin!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and everything to everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that my ship has come in! I just acquired a BRAND NEW Aero Irvin (Pre-War model) in my exact size for UNDER $500!!! One of those strokes of luck, but there it is, AND HERE IT IS!

Please excuse the jeans I am wearing - my RAF kit isn't complete yet. I have a whole new set of battledress being made by Replicaters as I type. This is one sweet jacket - perfect for this season too! I can't wait to break it in!

irvin2-357x600.jpg

irvin1-314x600.jpg

Splendid.

How did you get it for < $500 ?

Blue pants of any description go well with Irvins.

I like to tell all the girls that mine is what Spitfire pilots wore. According to my best research, however, this type of jacket was more likely worn by Hurricane pilots. Still, I think I can be forgiven for this.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points