Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it a federation adventure, or what?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
It's the end of a long day, and it's been a long week, too, so I am turning to my Lounge Brothers, because this search has been just too frustrating.

Maybe I'm dense, but ...

What is the difference between an Akubra Adventurer and Federation?

Obviously the same maker ... different hat? Different shape, color, quality?

Also, are these made of soft felt, or hard ... I mean, will they be like the consistency of a western felt, or a dress felt?

I don't know that I will end up purchasing one, but I'd like to know.

Thanks,

I can rest now!

Sam

The Federation is an exclusive model for Hats Direct = a particular block & dimensions just for them. Comes in Imperial & Heritage felt weights & finishes.
The Adventurer looks to be a stock Akubra block & flange with a similar looking ribbon width to me. Seems to be Imperial grade.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I don't get it.
They are both made by Akubra, right?
They are both currently in production, aren't they? They both are currently for sale unless one of them is old stock.
I'd just write to Akubra, but you know how inscrutible those wiley Australians are!

Sam

mattface

Practically Family
I don't get it.
They are both made by Akubra, right?
They are both currently in production, aren't they? They both are currently for sale unless one of them is old stock.
I'd just write to Akubra, but you know how inscrutible those wiley Australians are!

Sam

They are impossible to scrute, those Australians!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't understand why you're so mystified: the Federation is HatsDirect's exclusive Indy-esque hat. The Adventurer is Akubra's general-sales Indy-esque hat.

The hats are essentially similar, though the brim/crown sizes and shapes are a bit different - the Adventurer has a bigger brim. The color selections are different (and for the Adventurer, the colors available from different dealers are different.) But both styles ship open crown and are made of Akubra's standard Imperial-quality felt (unless you spring for the Heritage-quality Federation Deluxe.) Both are great hats at fair prices...

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Dear Strange,

I am not arguing them being great hats at fair prices. I am sure they are.

Frankly, I was hoping to find some people here who had actually held both hats in their hot little hands who could give some insight into how they compare.

I thought that was why this place existed ... to share info.

No mystification here.

We're all fine, here.

How are you?

Sam

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Sam from what I know this is the story. Akurbra sells many hats with the same name that are not the same but in different markets. The Adventurer in OZ is more of a safari hat while the US Market one is an Indy style hat. DM's Adventurer is more like the older Fed III which I do own. It is more like a Camp Draft with a non bound dimensional brim. The Crown is higher then the Federation IV. I love my Fed III. I would buy a DM Adventurer if it came in other colors then brown. My Fed III is brown and I don't need another one in brown. I own a Fed IV in carbon gray that i like a lot too. Hope this helps you out.

Jeff

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Like I said earlier it's like the Fed III. That means it has a 6" crown rather than the 5 3/4" crown of the Fed IV. The brim is 2 7/8"x2 3/4" dimensional rather than 2 3/4"x2 5/8" like the Fed III and IV. The Adventurer only comes in brown with a brown ribbon and the sweat is more like the sweat on the Fed deluxe than the standard Fed III or IV.

When you get both hats they have an open crown and flat brim so they both need shaping. Since only the Fed IV is available now it comes down to whether you prefer the higher crown and wider brim of the Adventurer to the Fed IV. Also, you have to like brown or the Adventurer is out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana