Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible to safely stretch heavy steerhide in length?

APD

New in Town
I have a beautiful heavy steerhide jacket. It's exactly .75" too short, but any extra length will help. I've seen posts concerning stretching the width of a jacket by simply wearing it while wet or after conditioning the leather. But wearing the jacket won't stretch it in length. So how, if at all, do I safely stretch the length of a heavy steerhide jacket? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I have a beautiful heavy steerhide jacket. It's exactly .75" too short, but any extra length will help. I've seen posts concerning stretching the width of a jacket by simply wearing it while wet or after conditioning the leather. But wearing the jacket won't stretch it in length. So how, if at all, do I safely stretch the length of a heavy steerhide jacket? Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

I managed to stretch the sleeves on a vintage horsehide Halfbelt and gained 1/2". Soaked the leather right through with warm water then hung it up on a padded hanger, the trick was then to fill two large plastic pop bottles with water and slide them down the arm holes until they wedged at the cuff. The weight of these bottles gradually stretched the hide overnight as the jacket dried out. Worked a treat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana