Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Rayon a good lining for later spring, summer etc?

zhz

Practically Family
Hi All,

I heard that Rayon lining is durable, but sweaty. So it doesnt sound like a lining for warm weather, like late spring, summer, early autumn.
So, for a leather jacket, what is your choice, cotton or rayon? Just normal wear, not riding etc.
Thanks

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Hi All,

I heard that Rayon lining is durable, but sweaty. So it doesnt sound like a lining for warm weather, like late spring, summer, early autumn.
So, for a leather jacket, what is your choice, cotton or rayon? Just normal wear, not riding etc.
Thanks
Call me a purist, or whatever, but I only want natural, non-synthetic, products used in/on my leather jackets.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It only gets unwearable in strong sun, but for the summer months, I would go with a cotton or light wool lining.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Even the highest quality Rayon (Bemberg and others) feel sweaty because they repel water and do not absorb it like cotton will... the plus side is that when it is warm out, but you aren't sweating, Rayon feels very cool against the body.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Rayon has been used in USN Leather ( goatskin jackets) for decades (G-1. M422a, AN6552 ) ..... My Eastman G-1 was lined in Bemberg Rayon, my Aero's and the BK are Rayon but I have no idea the manufacturer. I haven't found it to be sweaty or uncomfortable in any way in any of mine ( summer, spring or Autumn ). In many ways I'd say it's superior to cotton or wool for a summer jackets due to it's lighter weight / hand and also the fact that it has lower friction which makes it easier to get slightly sweaty arms into sleeves etc. ( certainly easier than the cotton lined A-2). It's also REALLY hard wearing .... much more so than light cotton drill IMHO.

Overall I think it's an ideal choice for a warmer weather jacket. In addition don't discount SATIN as used by LW in many of their jackets ( particularly the Suburban) ... which is a great medium weight lining and not sweaty at all.

Or you could go the whole hog and have a jacket lined in SILK ( as is often muted in the WW2 "Ace" stories ) .... I had a red silk lined Eastman A-2 back in the early 00's (I think Aero relined it for me .. might have been MTS ... I know I bought the silk in Mumbai as SWMBO had a dress made from it for a wedding we went to in 2004) and it was a really cool lining ( in both ways). Wasn't very robust though and only lasted a couple of years particularly around the collar.

HTH

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Rayon is a traditional lining for leather jackets. I generally get breathable polyester twill (wears like iron) or cotton drill. It's very hot where I am.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Come on, your in the UK, you only get 2 days of warm weather a year! I'm only kind of joking. "Warm" is relative.

Its also going to depend on what you plan to wear under it and if its short sleeve or not. During warm but not hot months, I'm in a T-shirt under my jackets and couldn't think of anything worse than mildy sweaty skin next to a man made fabric that is prone to stretching when damp....plus nothing worse than your sleeve lining stretching and then poking out of the end of the sleeve.

....can you tell I'm not a fan?

I have Rayon in my sleeves and light wool for the body lining. Love the way the rayon feels when I'm wearing a tshirt with my jacket

Plumbline

One Too Many
Come on, your in the UK, you only get 2 days of warm weather a year! I'm only kind of joking. "Warm" is relative.

Perhaps we Glaswegians only holiday in a bed and breakfast in Saltcoats and only travel as far as a British Rail 2nd class retrun ticket can take us ( or as far a a std. thermos flask will keep the tea warm ) !

I've lived in 11 countries in 30 years in the energy sector ( including Singapore, Indonesia (Jakarta) and Australia (Freemantle outside Perth) in SE Asia, 2 stints in the USA ( Houston and Cleveland), Canada (Toronto), Turkey (Istanbul), India (Chennai ) and a few stints round Europe) and travelled to over 80 countries through various seasons mostly for 2-6 weeks at a time .... I think I've done "warm" in at least one or two PN ... mostly wearing leather jackets of various guises .... Rayon is better than most linings IMHO ... but it's just MHO :D

In all honesty .. when it's too warm to wear a leather jacket (25C+ IMHO) ... I generally don't ... I just wear a T-shirt and avoid the sweating and the lining becomes irrelevant.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Rayon is my preferred lining for leather jackets. But if you sweat a lot, I recommend getting a darker rayon as water/sweat stains will appear and stay on rayon. YMMV.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
rayon all the way. I own both and cotton drill feel like sand paper on the skin and soak the sweat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch