Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the Aero 40th Halfbelt no longer available?

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Hi folks, when recently visiting the Aero-homepage, I couldn't find the "Pioneer" aka 40th Halfbelt no more. Is production over? No more Kudu roaming the Savanna in Africa?:D

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hi folks, when recently visiting the Aero-homepage, I couldn't find the "Pioneer" aka 40th Halfbelt no more. Is production over? No more Kudu roaming the Savanna in Africa?:D

I have probably just bought the last Kudu Pioneer, it arrived yesterday and I have to say it is an absolute beauty. I was about to post some pics when Plumbline got shot down in flames for mentioning he had ordered a couple of jackets. - I sort of lost the stomach for it after that.

As far as I am aware, the Jacket is now extinct.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I'll toss in another vote for posting photos of your jackets.

I'd especially like to see some additional images of the mahogany analine steer option. That appears to be a particularly beautiful hide.

Edward

Bartender
Don't know why folks diss steer so often. It's great for jackets.

Since long vefore the 'storse' hoo hah, I've been saying that Aero has other, equally great hides. I think a lot of it is simply the perceived exclusivity of the horse nowadays, as opposed to cow or whatever. That, and a notion that horse is somehow more authentic for the period the designs ape (not that this is necessarily so, but it is the popular perception).

Edward

Bartender
Lovely looking hide, that steer. I have had my eye on this model for a while as a next jacket. I would very much like a black one - just have to decide which hide. Did fancy the goat, but they don't do that in black. Other main options are either the steer or horse. Tempted with a good solid steer as it's normally cheaper than the horse.

This is, of course, assuming that Aero would be open to doing one in another hide, but I don't see why not (not quite the same thing as radically altering the design - I suppose as long as the hide with sit right for the pattern).

majormajor

One Too Many
Since long vefore the 'storse' hoo hah, I've been saying that Aero has other, equally great hides. I think a lot of it is simply the perceived exclusivity of the horse nowadays, as opposed to cow or whatever. That, and a notion that horse is somehow more authentic for the period the designs ape (not that this is necessarily so, but it is the popular perception).

Very true Edward.

Now that Gary Eastman's book has shown us that many A2s were made of steer rather than horse, we might give steer the benefit of the doubt a little bit more often:D

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Hi Everyone, not to fear this style is not discontinued, but we've come to the end of our current stock of Kudu - what is left is heavily scarred. Til we get this sorted out we've taken it off line. Once we've had time to get a prototype knocked up in another hide we'll be re-listing it.

Will keep you all posted on the availability of Kudu :)

Holly

majormajor

One Too Many
It would be nice to see some jackets in the heavy suede, similar to the stuff used on the 60's Levi's "split cowhide" jacket (reintroduced as a repro for 2013, and pretty much sold out already!).

I had one back in the 60's. It wasn't the soft stuff with a nap that you can move with your finger. It was really quite rough stuff. Here's a pic....

oldcowhide.jpg

A few of the Aero designs might look nice in this:D

Plumbline

One Too Many
Thanks Holly .. it was a cool jacket ... and even cooler hide ... sort of like a tough oilpull horse :) :)

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, that's all in all good news. I guess a Pioneer in a lighter hide with a thin lining would make for a great summer-jacket. Keep us posted, Holly!;)

Edward

Bartender
Very true Edward.

Now that Gary Eastman's book has shown us that many A2s were made of steer rather than horse, we might give steer the benefit of the doubt a little bit more often:D

Heh, yeah. Does Gary's book record which contracts included steer? When I'm more flush, I'll be buying a copy of that. I doubt I'll ever be in the market for the uber-accurate, high end A2s, but that doesn't preclude an interest in all the details.

Well, that's all in all good news. I guess a Pioneer in a lighter hide with a thin lining would make for a great summer-jacket. Keep us posted, Holly!;)

Remember the "Summer Halfbelt" in a natural-coloured mid-weight horse? That was based on the 30s halfbelt. The Pioneer would look superb in that, with maybe an A2 type lining, or the red silk lining they (Used to?) put in some A2s - including the goat one lying beside me in an airport lounge as I type! (Is that A2 now more legit somehow as it has been in a plane? ;) ).

767fo

One of the Regulars

I have probably just bought the last Kudu Pioneer, it arrived yesterday and I have to say it is an absolute beauty. I was about to post some pics when Plumbline got shot down in flames for mentioning he had ordered a couple of jackets. - I sort of lost the stomach for it after that.

As far as I am aware, the Jacket is now extinct.

Post away!! Your new jacket could not fit any better if you ordered it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points