Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there such a thing

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My theory is that you should figure out what your rotation is, and work from there. If you find certain shirts getting stuck at the back of the closet for too long, then maybe it's time to cull them. Also, a few shirts of other colors (e.g. blue, etc.) wouldn't hurt.

davestlouis

Practically Family
There must be a cut-off point beyond which it becomes silly, but I don't know what that cutoff might be. I only have about 15 in rotation, but I launder and iron my own shirts, I imagine I'd need more than that if they went to the cleaners. Keep in mind I wear a white point collar shirt at least 6 days a week, sometimes 7 days.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
My theory is that you should figure out what your rotation is, and work from there. If you find certain shirts getting stuck at the back of the closet for too long, then maybe it's time to cull them. Also, a few shirts of other colors (e.g. blue, etc.) wouldn't hurt.

Rotation... wait, you mean that there are other colors for shirts besides white?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
White shirts are classic!

I'd guess that around 1/4 of my dress shirts are white. I have them in linen, royal oxford, broadcloth, twill, jacquard, voile, silk, and various white-on-white patterns. That said, I have more blue shirts and reach for them more often.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I wear almost exclusively white shirts, oxford for casual, and dressier ones for dressier occasions. I picked up the habit partially because my grandfather always wore white shirts.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
As a person who doesn't wear pure white dress shirts unless necessary, I'd say there is such thing as too many and in my experience that number is anywere above three. And that's only so you can have collar options.

Feraud

Bartender
Yes there can be such a thing as too many white shirts!
Variety is the spice of life. Expand your wardrobe with some color, patterns, and different cloth weaves.

1930sEsquire071.jpg

1930sEsquire011.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=46995

Geesie

Practically Family
When I wear a plain white barrel-cuffed shirt, I feel like I should be at a funeral or job interview.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I only got 2 white shirts. I only wear the one of them with a little thicker herringbone weave. The other one is a leftover from back in the days when I didn`t wear suits at all except for prom (abiball, in germany), weddings( of other people) or funreals (dito).

I don't like the plain blue shirts too. I love striped shirts. A bit like the colors and pattern in ferauds example. I also like contrasting white collars to colored shirts.

But maybe businesswear is another story.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Geesie said:
When I wear a plain white barrel-cuffed shirt, I feel like I should be at a funeral or job interview.
See, I get a different feeling.....[huh]

esq-steve-mcqueen-1009-lg-88410141.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
See, I get a different feeling.....[huh]
/QUOTE]
Maybe it has something to do with the the look of a specific era.
If you do much research on it you finally get used to a certain look. The (high) rise on trousers as much as lapels or colors.

So of course some people can look great in white dress shirts...according to a fitting style.

I don't like the 60s on myself. I also don't like black suits aside from formal wear,

James Bond, Blues Brothers ... all nice but not for me. I wouldn't wear a black turtleneck even it suits Mc Queen very nice.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
For years, in emulation of my father, I wore almost only white shirts. A few years ago, I realized that colored shirts were also common during certain past periods, and so expanded my wardrobe (and glad that I did). Right now, though, I am wearing a white dress shirt.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points