Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is This A Military Jacket?

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Hey military experts, here's another mystery garment from the thrift stores:

SMdanhood1.jpg
SMdanhood3.jpg
SMdanhood4.jpg
SMdanhood6.jpg

It looks to me like a naval item. Thin cotton/ poplin-type material with very utilitarian buttons and unrefined twine-like drawstring. Has an oversized hood.

SMdanhood9.jpg
SMdanhood10.jpg

Only markings are a crown (British? European?) and a number 2.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Crown looks Dutch to me

Dutch Queen Wilhelmina

As a runner up . . . I'd say Sweden . . which used a single crown until the early 1940's

2 is most likely some uniform size analogue

Djupis

One of the Regulars
I have never heard of Norwegian military items being marked with simply a crown. More likely it would have been marked by either the King's Emblem or a Lion (nowadays they are simply marked with a plain shield).

But I'm just guessing really [huh]

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
org.jpg

This is the official "Danish Royal crown" It looks a little bit like it.
On the other hand, IF it is danish, it must be for use in Greenland - where we have navy "dogsledge patrols" operating. I have never ever heard of snow camouflage for soldiers in Denmark. [huh]
It never gets that cold...:) And we never fight wars in the wintertime:D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
GHQ1 said:
Dutch Queen Wilhelmina

As a runner up . . . I'd say Sweden . . which used a single crown until the early 1940's

2 is most likely some uniform size analogue

Forgot about the single crown in Sweden - but the crown looks much different. (Would have posted a picture - but "the bucket" is out of order at the mo.)

Being a dane I just can not believe we have snowcamouflage. Never heard of it.[huh]

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
GHQ1 said:
Dutch Queen Wilhelmina

Sweden's "tre kronor"(three crowns) has been used as a national symbol for many hundreds of years but some small amount of research shows that pre-war, the Swedish may have used a single crown. Here is a stamp on a piece of Swedish War Materiel, showing the date, 1922 and a single crown.
I have a 1939 dated Swedish jacket with a "3 crowns" stamp.

Crown.jpg

So, we could now make a slightly educated guess, that the snow over-blouse in question, could be pre-war Swedish.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21