Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this brim flat?

DRB

One Too Many
Someone posted this photo here on the lounge a while back. Can you tell me if the brim is flat or fedora style? It looks flat to me.

Hall444copy3lightened.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I really like that hat. It looks to be perfectly creased, and the brim appears to have been handled relatively delicately, not really rough, as is the cause of many drooping brims, although that's a good look too. But yeah, I think the brim is "flat" looking, as you thought.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I'm not to get too hung up on nomenclature myself, but the pinch with rather large front dents on an Open Road says fedora to me. There is a slight snap to the brim I believe, though it's lost a bit with the gents head tipped down like that...

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like a very slight snap to me (fedora style, as you say)
I have a vintage Stetson 25 and a Akubra Squatter that have a similar slight snap to them. I can manhandle them to have a more dynamic snap but I think they have a great character the way they are.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

DRB

One Too Many
If one wanted to keep such a hat brim flat, how would they do it. Would a household steam iron work with a cloth over the felt work?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Someone posted this photo here on the lounge a while back. Can you tell me if the brim is flat or fedora style? It looks flat to me.

Hall444copy3lightened.jpg

Just looks like a standard OR/Thin Ribbon brim that has NOT been steamed to shape the front of the brim down much. Looks like the wearer just snapped it down from the factory up position with no steam. Not all hats at that time had a deep snap down to the front as many of us are used to. Looks just right to me :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well Ive done a couple cowboy hat conversions and I can tell you that hat in the pictures looks very much like some of my conversions. The brim looks flat and stiff and with the appeared absence of brim binding, it could have been a cowboy hat that the customer had a hatter cut the brim and apply a slight bend to the brim. If it was in fact a cowboy hat, there's a good amount shellac in the brim as is, and they will not usually "snap" because the felt is thicker and not flanged that way. At least, that's what it looks like to me. The hat that I'm wearing in my avitar is a cowboy hat conversion that I did. The back is almost flat because I do not have a flange, but the brim is bent because I applied a ton of steam to it and its permanently stuck that way.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Not sure about the brim,but isn't that kid lifting the old guy's wallet?

Crime and the younger set ... it's sad, really

Seriously, you can see this limited snap in lots of the casual felts from this era.

Sam

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Well Ive done a couple cowboy hat conversions and I can tell you that hat in the pictures looks very much like some of my conversions. The brim looks flat and stiff and with the appeared absence of brim binding, it could have been a cowboy hat that the customer had a hatter cut the brim and apply a slight bend to the brim. If it was in fact a cowboy hat, there's a good amount shellac in the brim as is, and they will not usually "snap" because the felt is thicker and not flanged that way. At least, that's what it looks like to me. The hat that I'm wearing in my avitar is a cowboy hat conversion that I did. The back is almost flat because I do not have a flange, but the brim is bent because I applied a ton of steam to it and its permanently stuck that way.

You absolutely took the words out of my mouth, Josh. The photo certainly makes it appear as if that particular hat is a western weight, and the appearance of the brim mirrors what one would expect from that type of felt.

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The photo is overexposed--blank white where the brim is. You can see whatever you like. It obviously can't be curved very much by what little the outline shape tells you. Many hats of that style have a fairly flat brim--or are flanged slightly curved upward so they will just level off at the front or drop very slightly rather than a full snap. As Jimmy says, this is characteristic of the slightly stiffer thicker felts also. Law enforcement hats are a common example.

As to Fedorasimilitude, the F'Lounge consensus is that it is subjective.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No idea about the iron trick, I would be concerned about burning the felt. If your hat is a good quality felt I would just get it wet and press the brim flat by stacking books on it, on a flat surface till it's dry. I have done this with a cowboy hat and it worked just fine.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points